The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-15-2020, 03:57 PM

Haha! Look, from a simple engineering point of view, nothing beats a Telecaster.
However, nothing beats a 335 as long as Roy Orbison is playing it ;-)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:56 PM

It's more pronounced for me switching between electric and acoustic. (Noticeable but no big deal).
Old 09-17-2020, 09:49 AM

It's more pronounced for me switching between electric and acoustic.

Hmm. Anyone else found this?
Personally, I find it more pronounced switching from acoustic to electric.
If I have to play Zither in the middle of a concert, that really screws me up.
Don't know why.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:29 PM

Wow... Maybe I am alone. I have never even thought of where my strumming/picking was relative to a pickup. By that I mean I never worried if would my pick hit a pickup. I guess I do not dig as deep as some others. And yes, before someone misreads this, I am acutely aware of where my strumming or picking is affects my tone and I use the pickup switches to augment my positioning to 'milk out' certain tones.

To me, switching between a Les Paul and a fender has much more to do with scale length and string tension. As someone already mentioned, this scale length issue gets more pronounced above the 12th fret. Gibson's shorter scale also means less string tension and can feel better for string bending. As for me. I have Gretsch, Gibson, Fender, Martin, Taylor and rotate them regularly. I never seem to have an issue fluidly moving between them. Just my two cents.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:24 PM

Somewhat related to this thread:

Mark Knopfler likes Strats, but also wants custom ergonomics and the ability to radically change the output sound (to"Les Paul") with one switch.

This became the basis of one of the Pensa or Pensa-Suhr models. Some info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensa_Custom_Guitars
Old 10-12-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Dear OP, perhaps less thinking and more playing will change things ? Call me an old fuddy duddy but honestly back in the stone age and (maybe it was just me) BUT it seems as if thinking about the specifications and logistics of what switching guitars meant, was not even in the conscious picture.

Honestly I understand that all the specifics factor into how a guitar feels and sounds BUT Way back when we just picked up the guitar (acoustic or electric) and played and did not think about any of things that seem to occupy the situation now days.

Honestly I never even knew or cared about specific nut or neck width numbers, scale lengths, OR even style of guitar. I could of course visually see the difference but never thought about the fact that it was a drednought or concert or jumbo, never thought whether it was an LP or Fender style . Honestly it was just either an acoustic or an electric, and just grab em and play .......just some thoughts
LOL, you said it for me! I am 61 and back in the early 70's it was a privilege to even own a guitar and if you got one that played half way decent even more so. Didn't know dread from OM from parlor. I like being more educated for sure but my Peavey Predator for 220 dollars feels as good to play as my EBMM Cutlass. I am blessed to have a Les Paul as well as a couple of Martin's. Enjoy em all. I do think the mention of a bit crowding above the 12 fret on LP is right on, especially if one has played lead on Strats for a while.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
And the Telecaster Mafia has arrived!

Bob
That made me laugh They can be a tough crowd!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars