The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-25-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Here's my super simple, great sounding setup for live streaming.

Last edited by Methos1979; 07-25-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Here's my super simple, great sounding setup for live streaming.

I Like It & The Simpler The Better!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-25-2020, 09:06 PM

So, I own and love the Edwina, but it has a serious hazard for the unwary or stupid. The front and back look virtually the same so it is easy in the heat of a hurried setup to put it up backwards. What is treacherous is that it still works. It just sounds a lot worse and at a lower level so it makes you run off checking every thing else before you are finally confronted with your own stupidity.

Before I bought one, I borrowed one from a musician and in the case was a note which said "Screw heads to the front". And I thought "What kind of halfwit needs a reminder like that?" and then of course in a rushed setup, I put it up backwards. I since have added little white dots on the business side of the mike. So the Edwina is a great mike but it works much better when used correctly. I'm surprised everybody doesn't make this mistake...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-25-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
So, I own and love the Edwina, but it has a serious hazard for the unwary or stupid. The front and back look virtually the same so it is easy in the heat of a hurried setup to put it up backwards. What is treacherous is that it still works. It just sounds a lot worse and at a lower level so it makes you run off checking every thing else before you are finally confronted with your own stupidity.

Before I bought one, I borrowed one from a musician and in the case was a note which said "Screw heads to the front". And I thought "What kind of halfwit needs a reminder like that?" and then of course in a rushed setup, I put it up backwards. I since have added little white dots on the business side of the mike. So the Edwina is a great mike but it works much better when used correctly. I'm surprised everybody doesn't make this mistake...
Lol - since I bought mine used there was no instructions. So I set it up and powered it up and did a little test snapping my fingers and on mine at least it was obvious that the screw is on the back side! Now that I know that I can't imagine having an issue remembering!!
Old 07-26-2020, 10:03 AM

Ha! You say that now...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-26-2020, 02:24 PM

Sorry if someone posted this already but it looks like Billy Strings now uses the double helix as part of his set up. I am assuming he is using it more for effects but not too sure.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

We used the Edwina at Sunday's AGF Open Mic and it sounded really good!
Old 07-27-2020, 07:56 PM

It sure did!
Old 07-28-2020, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

One thing forgot to mention about this photo when I took it - that pile of cables sitting on the couch out of focus are all the cables I was able to eliminate from our live stream setup! So that's two mic cables, a guitar cable, and the cable for the mixer to the Bose. Of course then there's also the two hand mics, one boom mic stand and of course the Bose itself. Not that my setup and gear was all that cumbersome to begin with but this latest stream setup doesn't get much smaller and simpler! Anyway, after I saw the photo I got a chuckle. I didn't place those cables there to include this but I thought it was an interesting thing to point out!

Old 07-29-2020, 12:58 AM

Great demo and great review! Soo clear—-I’m sold! I like the guitar without any reverb (through my iPad anyway). Definitely the clearest-sounding online live feed I’ve heard yet! Thanks for posting!
Old 08-05-2020, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Methos, I finally got a chance to listen to your Friday night live recording. You sound great. Love the classic sound of your Martin and the mic does a great job without hyping things like a super sensitive condenser mic (C414 for instance) which you mentioned.

Really appreciate you fine playing and great sound. Well done.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-06-2020, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Great demo and great review! Soo clear—-I’m sold! I like the guitar without any reverb (through my iPad anyway). Definitely the clearest-sounding online live feed I’ve heard yet! Thanks for posting!
Thanks, Kalani! I'm glad to have 'sold' another one for them. Not that they are having any problems with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Methos, I finally got a chance to listen to your Friday night live recording. You sound great. Love the classic sound of your Martin and the mic does a great job without hyping things like a super sensitive condenser mic (C414 for instance) which you mentioned.

Really appreciate you fine playing and great sound. Well done.
Thanks, Gary! We've done a couple of these now plus the AGF Open Mics and for the most part they all sound really good. Then there are the dozens of FB Live recordings that no one sees, those recorded just to/for myself as I continue to tweak and have fun. No matter what I throw at the Edwina, it sounds great. I agree about the super sensitive AKG C414 mics. Great for recording by just too sensitive for live play for me.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I love that mic. Been dreaming about it for a while. Just wondered how it worked live with the Bose S1. I guess you will find out for us. Thank you for the review!
I was going back and looking at past posts about the Double Helix Solo when I stumbled onto this one that I'd forgotten I'd done which was a demo of the DHS and the ETL Edwina mic. My demo isn't nearly as good as the K&K which is why I don't quote it. But when reading through I noticed this question from Marty C and realized that I never got back to him on this subject. And since I always want all of my posts to be as complete as possible I wanted to update the question of using the ETL Edwina live with the Bose S1.

Basically, the answer is not good. I tried using the ETL Edwina live through the Bose S1 and no matter what I tried I could not get a decent level of volume without awful feedback. This was performing inside our small home/living room. Regardless of where I placed the S1, screech the moment it was bumped up in volume. So then I tried it outside and I was able to get it up a bit but not enough from the physical distance we need to stand at. I think maybe if I had stood closer to the mic I might have had better luck but since we both use the one mic I wanted to simulate the distance of both of us standing where we normally stand.

In the end I gave up rather quickly since we aren't currently playing out anyway. We did play one virtual show on a stage where I took and used the Edwina as our sole source running into the venue's house PA and they said it sounded fine but I have yet to hear that recording so I can't comment personally. If I ever do then I'll comment back. But I can say definitively for me at least that the Bose S1 / ETL Edwina combination does not work for us!
Old 10-18-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I was going back and looking at past posts about the Double Helix Solo when I stumbled onto this one that I'd forgotten I'd done which was a demo of the DHS and the ETL Edwina mic. My demo isn't nearly as good as the K&K which is why I don't quote it. But when reading through I noticed this question from Marty C and realized that I never got back to him on this subject. And since I always want all of my posts to be as complete as possible I wanted to update the question of using the ETL Edwina live with the Bose S1.

Basically, the answer is not good. I tried using the ETL Edwina live through the Bose S1 and no matter what I tried I could not get a decent level of volume without awful feedback. This was performing inside our small home/living room. Regardless of where I placed the S1, screech the moment it was bumped up in volume. So then I tried it outside and I was able to get it up a bit but not enough from the physical distance we need to stand at. I think maybe if I had stood closer to the mic I might have had better luck but since we both use the one mic I wanted to simulate the distance of both of us standing where we normally stand.

In the end I gave up rather quickly since we aren't currently playing out anyway. We did play one virtual show on a stage where I took and used the Edwina as our sole source running into the venue's house PA and they said it sounded fine but I have yet to hear that recording so I can't comment personally. If I ever do then I'll comment back. But I can say definitively for me at least that the Bose S1 / ETL Edwina combination does not work for us!
Thank you for getting back. I do love that mic and have seen it several times used live. Mainly as part of a large PA, outside with plenty of space between the mic and the speakers. Sounded great. I hate it didn’t work out with the S1. Maybe because of the good sound dispersion, the mic is getting feedback. I bet it would work better with the that QSC speaker you had, together with you mixer.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thank you for getting back. I do love that mic and have seen it several times used live. Mainly as part of a large PA, outside with plenty of space between the mic and the speakers. Sounded great. I hate it didn’t work out with the S1. Maybe because of the good sound dispersion, the mic is getting feedback. I bet it would work better with the that QSC speaker you had, together with you mixer.
I think if I took the time to really work on it I could probably get it to work. Or if you've got a dedicated soundman that knows his stuff. But I think it would work better with more of a directional type amp or powered speaker that isn't known for ultra-wide dispersion and saturation. If we were still gigging out I likely would take more time to experiment but these days it's just not worth the effort for us especially since I bought it primarily to use for live streaming sessions where it works outstanding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification