The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-18-2020, 05:13 PM

Default Play Acoustic Guitar condominium?

Hi, for study, unfortunately, I moved to a studio apartment in condominiu
Since I've been here for a week, I've been afraid to play.
I'm afraid of disturbing people.
I always play very softly, but if I have to record a cover, a song, I can't because I should play loud and I'm afraid of annoying.
I have a person who lives upstairs. I hear ONLY the STEPS of this person, when WALKS ON THE FLOOR or drops something, but I do not hear his voice, I do not hear his TV, I hear none of this, only the sound of trampling. It doesn't bother me, he can do whatever he wants but I'm afraid of annoying. How much do you think he can hear me? I only want to play loud when I have to record making a video.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:24 PM

Good of you to be considerate of your neighbors. I used to live with this situation, too, with only their foot movement occasionally getting thru from above. The next-door neighbors were more likely to hear. I got to know their schedule, and could verify that they were out by their car not being in the lot. When they, and the person's car below me, were out, I could play at a decent level. If you can't do that, perhaps a floating floor and an enclosed and acoustically treated "room within a room" might be worth the trouble.

A good motivator to someday have a place where you can play at full volume.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:25 PM

Sounds like the best thing to do might be to go upstairs and have a conversation with your neighbor...

Tell him that you'd like to record, and ask him to give you feedback on how it sounds to him in his apt...

It may not be a problem, or you may be able to make adjustments to keep you both feeling neighborly...
Old 10-18-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Edited by member.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 02-08-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

One of my homes is also a condo. I only go there every so often but when I'm there, I always play my acoustic. One day, a neighbor on the floor below commented on my guitar playing as he can sometimes hear it. So like everything else... the TV, my sound system, etc.... I continue to play but am very respectful of the time of day. Never play too late, never too early, and never too loud. But you have to remember, it's a condo. Not a library. Life goes on. Maybe a lot less freedom than you have in a house, but people do make noise. Enjoy your guitar! Your neighbors should be happy you don't have a barking dog!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)

Last edited by MakingMusic; 10-19-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I live in a condo and it's never been an issue. I don't have anyone above me or below me. The room I play in has a double stairway between the room and the neighbor's wall. The only thing I hear from my neighbors is dull thud once it awhile. It's the only way I can tell if they are still alive in the winter. He asked one time if I play guitar. I asked if it was a problem. He said it wasn't. He said he can barely hear it early in the morning before he turns on his TV. So I started closing my rooms door when I played early in the morning.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-19-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Sounds like the best thing to do might be to go upstairs and have a conversation with your neighbor...

Tell him that you'd like to record, and ask him to give you feedback on how it sounds to him in his apt...

It may not be a problem, or you may be able to make adjustments to keep you both feeling neighborly...
Yessir. I agree.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I lived in a condo in San Juan, PR. There were several musicians living there. During the afternoon there was someone playing a violin somewhere. Same with the flute. I'm pretty sure the flute was a school kid. The guy below me played guitar once in a while. No one seemed to care and no one played after five thirty. I played in The afternoon, but I started going out to a park a couple blocks away in the afternoon and sit on a low wall to practice because I didn't want to disturb people. I would take a rum and Coke out with me and when I was done I would put the glass out in front on the sidewalk and tourists would stick money in it. Pretty soon I had a play list, an amplifier and I would put my case out instead of an empty glass. Next thing I knew, I was a busker and spent hours every day out there. Plus I would go out drinking later in the evening with other buskers and playing in bars and coming home late at night with pockets filled with one dollar bills. That's how it happens. A condo is a gateway to a busking addiction. Be careful.

Last edited by rllink; 10-19-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsecco View Post
How much do you think he can hear me?
Only way to find out is to go ahead and play.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:10 PM

You dont move into an apartment or a condo and expect peace and tranquility. Play your guitar. Try and be good to your neighbors but above all live your life. If they cant take a little music during the day then they can go screw..
Old 10-20-2020, 02:47 PM

I have to agree with Jerzey. You can be proactive and ask permission, but what if they are unreasonable? Better to establish a precedent for what is reasonable playing volume between, say, the hours of 9am and 9pm. It's not like you have a banjo or bagpipes.

Recording may be difficult because then it may be you who's unreasonably asking the neighbors to be quiet while you're loud.

It's a condo, not a monastery. Some noise is expected.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

If I were in that situation I would really look into those silent guitars. I'd play my regular guitars during the day, but at night the silent would get the nod. I play finger style with flesh only so ymmv.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-29-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
If I were in that situation I would really look into those silent guitars. I'd play my regular guitars during the day, but at night the silent would get the nod. I play finger style with flesh only so ymmv.
The sad part is the Yamaha silent guitar has a tiny cramped neck. Nice guitar but nearly impossible to play fingerstyle on it.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:30 AM

Have some of those disposable foam ear plugs available for them when they come to your door to complain, tell them you should be finished in an hour or so.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Have some of those disposable foam ear plugs available for them when they come to your door to complain, tell them you should be finished in an hour or so.

David
Haha, good one. I'm my Condo that approach would be a good way to get the little old ladies to stuff their dog do do in your mail box. You don't get sassy with the little old ladies.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write