The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 05:09 AM

That would be my Walden CD2040. All solid, spruce over mahogany. It is super light weight for a dread , sounds amazing and has sustain for miles. Can't believe I only paid $500 for it when my local dealer was clearing out his old stock (Walden closed down several years back and it was on of his last he had in stock). Appearently, Walden has come back with a smaller, more focused line up... I'll have to try one some day.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 10-20-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Please do not throw bricks at me but you probably do not have a guitar with solid rosewood back and sides. You likely have a guitar with solid Santos rosewood, which is another marketing name for Pau Ferro or Morado ... none of which is a true rosewood.

This is from the current Saga listing for the model: Select solid Santos rosewood was chosen for the back and sides while the top is made of select solid Sitka spruce.

A few years ago AFAIK, Saga/Blueridge started using Santos rosewood, both solid and laminated, in many of its guitars.

I just wanted to point this out to you because for a long time I had thought the Blueridge guitars used true rosewood for its laminated and solid back and sides ... and not another type of wood that is similar to rosewood but isn't rosewood.

Is it sort of like the difference in sapele and mahogany? Most people cannot tell the difference?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:20 PM

As many have noted in this discussion, "punching above their weight" is a little bit of a ridiculous idea. If this were the case, retailers and manufacturers that "punch above their weight" should immediately raise their prices! I do agree that subjectively, in my opinion, I have found cheaper guitars that I thought sounded as nice to me as more expensive guitars. However, I also realize that there are many things that can influence that kind of assessment and there are also many things that you know will be different about the guitars. When you buy a nice guitar you are expecting higher end things like tuners that don't need to be replaced, last longer, and work properly, guitars that don't need extra fret work, etc. The list could go on. The point is that perceived sound quality is very subjective and is very often not a good objective indicator of worth. That being said, as you go up in price, you are more likely to get a better sounding guitar for many reasons - but it's not guaranteed.

My opinion...
Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 10-20-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
As many have noted in this discussion, "punching above their weight" is a little bit of a ridiculous idea. If this were the case, retailers and manufacturers that "punch above their weight" should immediately raise their prices!

My opinion...
Martin

If the name on the headstock were different perhaps they could.
One example of where you might be correct is Eastman. The quality of the guitars and recognition thereof is reaching the point where people are beginning to pay more for them...willingly.
It would be very interesting to hear what Ted at L.A.Guitars has to say about Eastman today vs five years ago.
Soon when their new arrangement with Bourgeois begins to yield fruit, we will see what that does to the name and the price of Eastman

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-20-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
As many have noted in this discussion, "punching above their weight" is a little bit of a ridiculous idea. If this were the case, retailers and manufacturers that "punch above their weight" should immediately raise their prices!
Or perhaps not, if they want to keep selling as many guitars! They are turning a profit, and quite popular (from all reports), why temp fate and raise prices to start competing directly with the entry-level Martins/Taylors/et al? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. When a business plan is working, you don't mess with it.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-20-2020, 03:22 PM

While its by no means cheap, my LG-2 has beat up on some boutique guitars in sessions. I haven't met a Martin she didn't slay. I haven't been to a jam yet where everybody didn't ask to play it after hearing it.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:36 PM

there used to be a high end shop in our area. They carried Blueridges too as an entry level brand. They were nice guitars, but maybe not quite up to the higher end offerings, well, at least most of them. Some of the boutique builder guitars in that shop were also dogs. Dead in the water. (there were no taylors, martins, guilds or gibsons there to compare) But most of the high end guitars there were pretty fantastic.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

A few years ago I bought a new BR240A for $659 on Amazon. That's a crazy good deal on a great guitar.

Right now, I'd look for a used Martin 15 Series. They can be had for $700-1000. I especially like the 12 fretters. If my D15S was the only guitar I owned for the rest of my life, I'd have no complaints.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:20 AM

Agree on the Martin 15 series guitars, especially when purchased used. A LOT of guitar for the money. My 000-15 was bought here on the AGF and it had some miles on it, which is a good thing for the 15's - they seem to need to be well played in before they reach their potential. New they can be a bit underwhelming. The action is dialed in beautifully and it smells wonderful too (kind of a spicy vanilla aroma). Has an upgraded 500 series case. Yes, it has it's share of bumps, nicks, and minor bruises but no cracks and it has a K&K installed. I take it everywhere with no worries. All for $900 cash. Another great example of "punches above it's weight."
Old 10-26-2020, 07:39 AM

I played one of these in a store once and was very impressed. But, I have given up on parlor size guitars and don't want to go any smaller than the 000. Plus, with the exception of my '04 Epiphone, I have decided that my collection will be all American made. Nothing against the imports, just a personal decision. $1,400 to $1,500 for an import puts a dent toward getting a "good" American made instrument.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

No guitar punches above its weight until it is played. Eric Bibb bought a $175 Jim Dandy because he loved the tone. Would that guitar punch above its weight in my hands, no. Does it in his, yes!

A Martin D-45 would be a crap guitar for me. It would be uncomfortable for me to play, I'd never be able to sing across it, I'd be frightened to take it out to the pub, and it would fall apart living on a stand in my damp log burner heated house. Yet for someone else with different criteria it would be thier dream guitar and "punch above its weight".

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:41 AM

In an effort to avoid the pugilist metaphor, I would argue that all my guitars have been a good bargain. My Martin Custom D, for example, is the same guitar as a D-18 except for its satin finish, unscalloped braces and simplified dovetail neck. Although it costs about half of what a D-18 would cost, I bought it because it had a 1 11/16" neck rather than a 1 3/4" neck. That said, when I've done an A/B comparison between the Custom D and a D-18, the former doesn't lack anything in terms of the latter's tone. No two guitars are identical, of course, even two D-18s. If anything, the satin finish increases volume over a gloss finish, but maybe gives away a touch of sustain. Regardless, I've ended up with a guitar that sounds at least as good as a D-18, is more playable for my particular rhythm style, and cost half as much.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:08 AM

There have been several votes for Faridas on this thread. For me, it's a Farida OT-26 with solid Indian Rosewood and solid Sitka that I recently got new from Elderly for $800. In tone and projection it stands up well against my much more expensive guitars, plus it's just as easy to play. There will probably never be another new one like it, though. The gentleman at Elderly told me I got the last OT-26 to be made with solid rosewood. From now on they will be made with solid Pao Ferro. I also notice from just checking their website that the price has gone up by $200.

I haven't seen any mention of the Taylor Academy series. That has me worried, because I've got one coming.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I wish I had a dollar for everyone who says that their model guitar sound as good as one twice it’s cost. What I want to know is which guitar punches below its weight.
As much as I wanted to like the Martin D16E, because it was a Martin, I just couldn't.

I'd find myself reaching for the Yamaha FS830 9 out of 10 times. So far it is a guitar that I've been most surprised by for what I paid for it.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:40 AM

3 Brands
Eastman
Recording King
Blueridge

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion