The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-09-2020, 08:38 PM

Default Stereo Spaced Pair... Without Matched Pair?

I just for myself a Neumann KM184, and I was wondering If there os some kind of rule with spaced pair recordings. Should it be done only with mics of the same model and brand, or can I use another?

If it os possible and works mixing brands and models, do you have any suggestion to me? Or do you think that even working with another brand, I would be better with another 184, anyways?

Thank you!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 10-09-2020, 09:14 PM

No rules at all! This video shows various mixes of brands, models and types of mics to record acoustic guitar.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

You could use two different mikes most likely without problems though more commonly two of the same mike model are used for stereo recordings.
Most mikes are consistent enough that a matched pair is not needed. Also that is more of a possible issue with coincident mikes rather than a spaced
pair of mikes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-10-2020, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Experiment

Aloha Rodrigo,

Far be it for me to say anyone shouldn't gear experiment to their heart's delight. That's what makes us & our recordings better & sounding like us.

Usually, great mix & match mic experiments occur when one lacks money for a second great mic. And so we pair a great one, with a not so great one. Good idea? Rarely, but yeah, sometimes, IME. Consistency is the main issue.

Mic pairing selections for me became simple: What achieves the best sounding, most consistent recordings for me, AND ALSO the most well-behaved, electronically so I'm not fighting it in editing & again consistency.

I tried a lot of Frankenstein pairings on acoustic guitar - even an historic U47 LDC combined with a beat up (is there any other kind?) SM-58. Fun times. But trying out mic pairings in every room in your house (including halls, attic, garage, etc.) is even weirder, and even more fun. I'd bring a few of my portable broadband absorbers with me for those experiments. My rationale? If you can generate a passable recording in a hallway, then you've learned a lesson.

For recording acoustic guitar, I always came back to a high-end, matched pair of SDC's (Schoeps, Microtech-Gefell, DPA, etc.), recorded in stereo, in an A-B spaced pair pattern - assuming the room is treated - 10-24" away. Sometimes I'd fill in the middle w/ an LDC or ribbon, but mostly matched pair, A-B spaced pair in stereo worked best for me.

I also experimented with many mic patterns & weird placements a lot. One surprisingly successful combo was two close-miked SDC's in an X-Y pattern, aiming at the top of the guitar at the waist combined with a pair of vintage U87 LDC's, A-B'ed several feet back & much wider apart than normal, much wider! Who knows what'll work. That did, in a treated space. What a BIG soundstage!

If it produces more consistent, clearer recordings for you, then stick with it, And keep on experimenting, Rodrigo. There are no rules - only what works for you!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 10-10-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:22 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Spaced pairs are one of the applications that least needs matched mics. Because you are picking up from two areas of the guitar that are going to have mismatched outputs in level and spectra, you might as well use different mics. Now, the dilemma: do I match the spectra with the mics or do I fight the spectra to bring them closer together for smoother stereo imaging?

To match the spectra put out by the areas of the guitar, an LDC would be great near the body and an SDC would be great for the neck.
To force the responses closer together you could reverse that.

Food for thought... and experimentation. HAVE FUN!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-10-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

When I first started and because I sing also, I was only able to afford one LDC for everything.
Then for a short while (in the trading up process) I did have a pair Shure KSM 44's which I used as spaced pair for guitar, and a single mic for vocal, but after a year or so found I wanted a bit more for my vocal.

Eventually I ended up with a Brauner Phantom V, LDC and Schoeps CMC6-M4, SDC and used that combo for about 5 years (and BTW I did as Bob notes first) the LDC on the body and SDC on the neck. And always spaced.
And perhaps from ignorance, but found I could get what I thought as a very respectable stereo image for the guitar with that mismatched combo.

Now I have a pair of Ribbons that I like for guitar, both acoustic and electric. So IMO either way works fine.

Also I have never owned a factory specked "matched pair" so I can't really speak (with first hand knowledge) to what actual advantage that may or may not, bring to the table.

That said in answer to your question: (and depending on your budget) If you do not sing I would simply consider getting another 184, if you sing then just find an LDC you like on your voice and go for it and your 184 on guitar .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-10-2020 at 08:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD