The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-04-2020, 10:19 PM

Default Sensitivity to CF???

This may sound a bit weird but wonder if I am the only person to ever have this happen?
Just received a small CF guitar touring model and after playing for about 15 min or so started getting a bit of irritation in my eyes and then started feeling the need to cough. Put it down and thought no more about it figured it was my allergy or something.
A few hours later went back and started playing again and in about 15 min in started to sneeze and noticed my throat was getting irritated. I didn't notice any particular smell from the guitar but I now suspect something in the manufacturing process such as resin or paint is causing this reaction. I am wondering if the paint or resin used has not completely cured or is still venting off?
Anyway I am returning the guitar as I can't play it without this discomfort. As it turns out the neck is not to my liking nor the scale so I was returning it anyway but found this weird. Since going back to my wood guitar no more problems.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:43 AM

This is the first I have heard of this, but is quite a possibility. Maybe you should find a dealer near you and try one that has been out of the case and likely done off-gassing if that is a thing with these? Also, the various CF makers use different materials and systems so maybe a Rainsong, Blackbird or Emerald would work better for you( I am assuming you meant McPherson Touring).
I think we all have allergy’s, some are just lucky enough not to find out what theirs are.
Enjoy the wood for now, and the hunt for the right CF for you.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:59 AM

Ya I had a Rainsong actually 5 in the past and the only thing I noticed on one, a brand new factory order, was a strong smell of paint when I opened the case. My entire music room smelled from it but after a few days with the window open and a fan running it went away.
Guess I am the only one, but I am pretty sensitive to chemicals and RS uses automotive paints. This one I can't smell anything but definitely something in it's materials that bothers me.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:16 AM

There can also be CF dust from the sanding/finishing process after removal from the mold, edge and surface prepping before gluing, etc. Tiny CF particles could cause irritations, problems, --and not the best to breathe in. You might be able to feel around inside to see if it feels dusty or unclean. At least one CF guitar I had was covered in a dust on the inside when I first received it.

Maybe a damp wipe of the interior, or if you have compressed air, blow it out (outdoors) or vacuum it out, if that is even possible. Avoiding electronics, of course.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
There can also be CF dust from the sanding/finishing process after removal from the mold, edge and surface prepping before gluing, etc. Tiny CF particles could cause irritations, problems, --and not the best to breathe in.

Maybe a damp wipe of the interior, or if you have compressed air, blow it out (outdoors) or vacuum it out, if that is even possible. Avoiding electronics, of course.

[emoji115] This [emoji115]

It could be the glue used in that guitar too Jerry. Since the RainSongs didn’t bother you I’m assuming the guitar in the spotlight here is a McPherson?
Old 10-05-2020, 11:09 AM

Maybe if you allow it to off gas awhile, preferably not in your living space or at least with your widows open, to insure ample air exchange.

If your CF guitar came with a gig bag or case, they may need to off gas too.

Last edited by 121; 10-05-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:36 AM

Default Plastic

I work as an engineer in injection molding. I recall one woman in a place I used to work having to quit because being around plastic had given her a nasty allergic reaction. Also had a former boss allergic to rubber and had to buy special shoes. Rare, but it happens. Have you tried any other products, such as handling a carbon fiber bicycle? Try going to a bike shop that sells a lot of carbon fiber bicycles and see if the same happens.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:52 AM
Guest 928

I'd bet on the case, particularly if it came from China.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:12 PM

Well I ride carbon bikes, have had 5 Rainsongs over the years, a Lucky 13, and two Emerald X7's and have never had a reaction to any plastics, I am sensitive to auto paint when it is being sprayed or drying off but never anything like this before. 15 min. in I am sneezing and throat irritaition.
I notice in the video for the manufacturing of the guitar the spraying of black paint on the back, but also I know Resins are toxic and can take a long time to completely cure.
Doesn't matter now as I sent the guitar back but it was unusual for me to have a reaction like that. I do know Resin, Paint, Adhesives etc. make a carbon guitar a bit of a chemistry set....
Old 10-07-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'd bet on the case, particularly if it came from China.
2nd. I have had cases that outgas fumes for months. Finally left it outside in the sun for a week to hasten the process.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber