The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-08-2015, 03:05 PM

Default will this combo work?

Hi all, I'm having a custom build done later this year. The top is Sinker redwood, back is walnut. The tuners are Graf, and the buttons are snakewood. The builder and I discussed possibly doing the fretboard and bridge in snakewood as well. He has very high quality/strong snakewood.
Individually, all the woods are beautiful. But I'm concerned that the snakewood with the sinker might be a bit too much. The builder also isn't sure, he might do a ebony/maple binding to define the lines a bit. When it gets closer he is going to lay them all out together to get a better feel for how they look with each other, but I'm too impatient and keep thinking about it!
Wondering everyone else's opinion on if it's going to work.
If it matters, the hardware is gold, with evo gold fretwire.
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Default Here it is

Here is the same stuff you are talking about. Snakewood bindings with sinker redwood top. Hope it helps. I love it, but I get how it might be a bit much for some people.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-08-2015, 04:26 PM

Hmmm, very helpful. It is beautiful but I'm not sure if it is the look I'm going for. I don't think I would do it for the binding, but the fretboard looks fine. I think the bridge would tie in nicely. Thank you very much, I appreciate it.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Just my opinion, but I don't like the color of the bridge against the top. I would favor something dark, to pick up the darker lines of the Sinker top. And I would do the same for the bevel(s). I had a Sinker/Macassar Taylor with Ebony for the bridge and bevel, and really loved that look. I didn't want anything to compete with the look of the Sinker top.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-09-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Just my opinion, but I don't like the color of the bridge against the top. I would favor something dark, to pick up the darker lines of the Sinker top. And I would do the same for the bevel(s). I had a Sinker/Macassar Taylor with Ebony for the bridge and bevel, and really loved that look. I didn't want anything to compete with the look of the Sinker top.
+1 on this thought! YMMV!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-09-2015, 06:05 PM

I am tending to agree with you guys. I don't want to take the focus off the top, it's a really awesome piece of sinker. Thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 02:05 AM

Wow prickards, is that your guitar??? O.o personally I find it gorgeous! Haha seems to brighten and liven up the generally dark/warm colours of the guitar. But I'm one of weird tastes....

Brendan, to me it seems like you love how snake wood looks by itself but if you're hesitating as it might be too busy, drop the idea and look for another alternative, and ask Joel to keep the Snakewood for your next build....hehehe
Old 03-10-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan688 View Post
I am tending to agree with you guys. I don't want to take the focus off the top, it's a really awesome piece of sinker. Thanks
I'm with you on this. Sinker is gorgeous all by itself. I think the binding, bevel, etc. will clash with the top. Just too much going on there, visually. In my opinion, nothing sets off sinker like ebony.

A few years ago, I had a Taylor BTO with Sinker top, Walnut back & sides, and Ebony armrest & binding. It was absolutely stunning to look at, but I found the tone a bit...I don't know...sterile. Just didn't work for me, and I ended up selling it. I much prefer my current custom Breedlove build, which is Sinker over Cocobolo. Unfortunately, it's currently back at Breedlove getting a new top (warranty repair). Can't wait to get it back!

Taylor Sinker/Walnut BTO

Breedlove Sinker/Cocobolo Custom

McPherson Redwood/EIR #1
McPherson Redwood/EIR #2
Breedlove MasterClass Custom Sinker Redwood/Cocobolo
Taylor Custom GA Redwood/Maple
Taylor Custom GA Cedar/Maple
Taylor T5Z Pro
Yamaha A3R
Gurian Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood
Line 6 Variax 700
VoyageAir VAOM-06
VoyageAir VAOM-1C
Old 03-10-2015, 03:20 PM

That's beautiful Ronnie! My sinker is close in color to your Breedlove. The builder and I both seem to be in agreement, although beautiful by itself, the snakewood probably won't work.
We are leaning towards ebony, for the binding and scoop cutaway. Perhaps a wenge wood, but I think that would be similar to the snakewood in that it might take away from the sinker.
I think the ebony will set off the darker streaks of the sinker nicely.
Marcus, what do you think of Joel's partnership with the jeweler? I'm interested to see what he has up his sleeve with that. I'm assuming for either inlays, headstock or rosette?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:26 PM

Those are indeed beautiful!!

Mine is in Wenge. Perhaps you can wait for my build to be completed to see how you feel about it

I can't wait for him to unveil it. He's being very secretive at the moment....haha it's almost completed though! and it must be REALLY good because he is extremely excited about it. Can't wait to see it
Old 03-11-2015, 04:09 AM

I take it that your scoop is also in wenge? That's what I'm considering, or ebony. Joel said that his wenge is very tight grain and dark, very similar to ebony. He did say that he had one with wenge on the table and I will see it soon. Glad to know that it's yours.
I was going to write you and ask why you haven't made and updates to your thread! Must be a tough couple of weeks.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 AM

Haha yes the scoop, bevel, inlay and bindings are in Wenge. Guess you'll get to see it "soon"

It has been tough indeed!! No updates till next weekend I believe he is busy finishing up the Collab build as well as dreamincolor's so mine has been put on the back burner. Sigh haha

If you follow his Instagram @michaudmade, you can see some progress on that one. Real purty! That's what gets me through the tough weeks, the odd picture or two hahah
Old 03-11-2015, 05:27 PM

I follow him on Instagram, following you as well!
You think 2 weeks is tough, I got a year!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:02 PM

Haha! I forgot that you still have a little more waiting to do. I should have some updates by this weekend I think...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop