The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Yeah, be careful about bringing a really nice one to school. Your Seagull will probably serve you well but otherwise, set a modest price point and go out and play a bunch of them.
Who knows how the guitar will turn out after college. I love the seagull but I feel like I want to invest in something more. I want to find an American classic guitar that will hold up and has great tone, but I’ll just go play blind and see what fits. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Most American undergraduates only live in a dorm the first year of college. Or, in some universities, the first two years. Your current guitar is a perfect companion for dorm life, and you may want to wait until you move into an apartment with friends to purchase a better instrument.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Play as many guitars as you can to determine what YOU like.

Like a girlfriend at 18 probably won’t be your life partner, this guitar will be something to enjoy and play as your tastes and preferences change.

A used guitar offers far more quality for the money than a new one. Someone else has already taken the hit and lost money on the resale, so you won’t have to.

Finding YOUR guitar takes time and effort. Finding one someone else told you to buy is much easier and less rewarding.

Good hunting!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-26-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
If you are worried about a high-end brand name used guitar like Martin or Taylor getting stolen - you could buy a plain looking one of these models and vandalize the logo on the headstock and the label inside, so people would'nt know what it was.
I’m not too worried about it being stolen as I am it getting hurt and breaking too easily. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-26-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
You may want to consider a Larrivee.......
I have only heard good things about Larrivee guitars, but are they sturdily built? Will they be destroyed by humidity change?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyoung View Post
I have only heard good things about Larrivee guitars, but are they sturdily built? Will they be destroyed by humidity change?
As sturdy as a Martin, to be sure. You are wanting a step up, but are afraid that an all-solid guitar will break easily.

Keep your Seagull. If you are afraid of all solid instruments your next move will be lateral, not forward. I see no reason for you to change.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-26-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

DYoung - THANKS for your upcoming service to our country!! As an Air Force veteran myself I applaud you and wish you all the best!

Regarding guitars, there are many great choices out there -- but I strongly encourage you to check out Larrivee guitars (an OM would be similar in style to the Martin 000). Keep in mind that each guitar brand has it's own distinct sound and feel. In other words, a Martin is not a Taylor is not a Larrivee -- all are excellent choices, but it just depends upon your preferences. I own 2 Larrivees and can say that you will be hard pressed to find a better value out there (ie. superb quality at an affordable price). Not sure what you budget is but a new one can be had in the $1300 range. Also, you can find some awesome used guitars (any brand) at a good price but exercise due diligence. Best of luck in your musical and life journey!! Cheers!
Old 02-26-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I am an intermediate guitar player and I have been looking for a guitar to upgrade to. I am 18 and have been playing since I was around 13 on a wonderful seagull s6 with cedar top. I love it, but I’m looking for a new, more quality guitar that I will keep through college and my life in the military afterwards. I love fingerpicking but also play with plenty of chords, so I’m looking for something well balanced. I have checked out the taylor 224 koa (special edition satin finish because of the looks) but haven’t been able to settle on anything. I know it’s a stretch, but if it’s a guitar I’ll keep for the rest of my life would it be worth it to try to find an expensive used guitar? (My dream would be the Martin 000 28ec) but I’m afraid I would tear it up. Thanks for any help!
Budget?

I also vote for a CF guitar which will give you a lot of peace of mind during college + military.

Ll.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:47 AM

look at the eastman ac guitars
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 02-27-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johbren View Post
look at the eastman ac guitars
The Ac122 Cedar model is 600$ and sounds amazing.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:31 AM

Default what guitar

that is a bit like asking us what you should have for lunch....I recommend the avocado toast
Old 02-27-2020, 07:45 AM

Ibanez make a lot of quality solid wood guitars.

If you buy used you can often get them at great prices and they can be surprisingly good quality.

Look out for AW3000, AW3000CE and AW3010CE. These are all solid, spruce top hog b/s guitars with LR Baggs Element pick up built in. AW3050 is all solid cedar/hog. It's also a lovely guitar with the warmer, cedar sound.

I'm familiar with those but they also make a lot of others. Might be worth taking a look on ebay at the used Ibanez acoustics. Use a search engine to check the specs. You might be surprised at what you can get a quality solid instrument for.

Here's a review of the AW3010CE. They don't make it anymore but you definitely won't be sorry if you buy one. Use what you save by buying used to get a proper set up from a good luthier. It'll be money well spent.

Mark Twain
Old 02-27-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I am an intermediate guitar player and I have been looking for a guitar to upgrade to. I am 18 and have been playing since I was around 13 on a wonderful seagull s6 with cedar top. I love it, but I’m looking for a new, more quality guitar that I will keep through college and my life in the military afterwards. I love fingerpicking but also play with plenty of chords, so I’m looking for something well balanced. I have checked out the taylor 224 koa (special edition satin finish because of the looks) but haven’t been able to settle on anything. I know it’s a stretch, but if it’s a guitar I’ll keep for the rest of my life would it be worth it to try to find an expensive used guitar? (My dream would be the Martin 000 28ec) but I’m afraid I would tear it up. Thanks for any help!
Check out Musicians Friend SDOTD today only 2/27/2020 $1100 discount. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...40105000001000
Old 02-27-2020, 08:42 AM

Good luck on your search. New guitar days are pretty exciting!

I own the 224 DLX Koa and it is a great fingerstyle guitar that also has good headroom for strumming.

And yeah , I would not take it to school
Old 02-27-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanielsen View Post
that is a bit like asking us what you should have for lunch....I recommend the avocado toast
Groundhog Day, it just repeats itself.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
new guitar, upgrade