The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

You think hey I'm not jiving with this guitar. I just doesn't have the tone I'm looking for. Try a new set of strings before you list it for sale. Remember the company or luthier who built it wanted it to sound the way it does with a new set of strings on it.

I'm amazed how many used guitars I buy from people on these forums or on ebay and the guitar arrives with a set of strings on it that is crazy old. I always make sure I'm up to date on my Tetanis shot.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 AM

It is called "Playing guitar".
Not "Working guitar"
Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 AM

Not everyone likes the same things.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Keep the Moderators happy!

Be nice, watch the rules and use your "inside" voice!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
"The AGF search button is your friend. You are welcome among guitar friends here, but save yourself (and everyone) time and trouble. Before posting a question that might have already been discussed countless times, click that search button."
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-09-2014, 09:17 AM

Feel free to ask questions. Some may not like rehashing some topics but this is a discussion forum.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
It is called "Playing guitar".
Not "Working guitar"
+1 on this.

Steve
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Feel free to ask questions. Some may not like rehashing some topics but this is a discussion forum.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Photos of new guitar acquisitions must be posted right away in the first post! Otherwise, show some restraint and save the good news/announcement for later in the day when you have actually shot photographs. No more of this "pics to come later" silliness!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=slewis;4169128]Thank you, thank you, thank you.[/QUOTE

Further note - the best way to search the forum is not the search function. It's the Google custom search bar at the bottom of the page (just try to avoid accidentally clicking the Ebay button).

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 AM

This goes for seasoned vets of this forum as well as newbies:

If someone posts something that seems to offend you, re-read that person's post and try to see the angle they are coming from instead of replying with your gut reaction. One of the problems with forums is that the reader cannot glean the intention from the poster in the same way as if you were speaking face to face. On a forum you cannot see facial expressions or hear voice inflections. These are extremely important factors in extracting a person's intent when they are speaking. And because they are missing in a post, sometimes just re-reading the post can give you a better feel for where the poster might be coming from. Gut reaction posting often leads to stupidity.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 10-09-2014, 09:46 AM

The top wood does not make as much difference as the builder.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
This goes for seasoned vets of this forum as well as newbies:

If someone posts something that seems to offend you, re-read that person's post and try to see the angle they are coming from instead of replying with your gut reaction. One of the problems with forums is that the reader cannot glean the intention from the poster in the same way as if you were speaking face to face. On a forum you cannot see facial expressions or hear voice inflections. These are extremely important factors in extracting a person's intent when they are speaking. And because they are missing in a post, sometimes just re-reading the post can give you a better feel for where the poster might be coming from. Gut reaction posting often leads to stupidity.
...and bans and closed/deleted threads. I'd also add to do some research on the OP's previous threads to confirm a pattern before labeling them a "troll" publicly. It could be a sincere complaint/question/discussion topic.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:31 AM

follow your dreams. because dreams are like a good sandwich. you got two slices of bread, some meat and cheese in there and some veggies to spice things up. next thing you know you've got mayo in there but maybe not if you want to eat healthy.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:37 AM

You should take everything you read with a grain of salt. To illustrate this point, here is a list of various assertions that where made here at the AGF:
  • Even though I can't hear a difference, I still somehow know those with better hearing can't either.
  • Aesthetics are a more important consideration than tone.
  • Wood is as durable as carbon fiber in every relevant way.
  • Any body shape besides dreadnoughts are just novelties.
  • Aesthetics are more important than playing in tune.
  • Acoustic guitars are too expensive because a professional level acoustic costs more than a budget electric.
  • Pick material, saddle material, and type of wood have no effect on tone.
  • Carbon fiber guitars are plastic because they have some plastic, but poly finished guitars aren't plastic because they have just some plastic.
  • Technique that destroys the soundboard is good technique.
  • UST's can't sense vibrations in the top.
  • Soundboards open up with time and use, but anything else made of wood does not under the same conditions.
  • Zero frets have no practical use on good guitars because they were once used on bad guitars.
  • Newton's laws of motion are just opinion.

And you get my point. Someone who isn't even a musician could easily point out the huge logical fallacies in most of these. Kind of scary that all of these were from guitarists, and these were just the ones I remembered from of the top of my head.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, faq, new guitar, newbie