The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 04:15 PM

You might enjoy reading The First Time Guitar Buyers Guide

Lots of great tips and advice....
Old 07-20-2016, 05:22 PM

I'm late to the party, but wanted to welcome you to the forum. Love your user name. It is one of my favorite Fahey tunes!

Definitely try out some different body sizes and if you are going to be using C and D tunings you may want to consider something with a standard or longer scale, not a must, but it sounds better IMO.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 07-20-2016, 06:51 PM

Welcome aboard.

I'd recommend an orchestra size Taylor. Spend some time and isolate your choice and play a few to see if they are a good match for you.

I have a Larrivee L-05 and it's also a seriously nice instrument.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:59 PM

Of course,you have to try out guitars. Make sure you try out a Larrivee OM-03. Mine is one of my favorite guitars, for so many reasons: fast neck, nice tone, extremely versatile.

But the grand concert Taylors should also be very high on your tryout list. So comfortable, great for fingerstyle.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:34 PM

I have nothing to add other than I was browsing the forum and came up on this thread and was pleasantly surprised to see my playing partner Drew featured in the video. Didn't see that coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 07-24-2016, 11:05 AM

Look at the Yamaha ls16r. I love mine, it's quickly becoming my main. Search the forum and websites for reviews. All solid woods ei rosewood b/s ebony fingerboard and bridge with a torrified engleman top. Very nice passive pickup. I prefer mine over "higher end" oms that I've played. It has an on shape but is wider like a dread so has good volume. And I only play with fingers too. Do not underestimate the power of the Yamaha side

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 07-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Certainly, an OM, 000 or Grand Concert would fit the bill for you, just from your description...

One other size/shape that may interest you is what Taylor calls their GS (Grand Symphony), James Goodall calls his Concert Jumbo and many other builders call a "Mini-Jumbo" or "Small Jumbo".

Slightly larger than a 000 but still very comfortable to hold and play; a big enough body to develop some really nice bass and volume, too, yet overall, small enough that they can be very responsive for fingerstyle playing as well...

Welcome to the Forum... and, welcome back to the world of acoustic guitar!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 07-24-2016, 03:19 PM

Can also highly recommend Larrivee guitars. You need to play a few. The OM and L Larrivees' may suit your requirements.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:44 AM

Thank you all very much for your recommendations! I've read every one of the replies on this thread, and I've been impressed by the amount of knowledge and the breadth of experience. I took all of your advice into consideration on my travels around guitar shops, but I must say that I have now picked a guitar...

Drumroll please!!

It's an Eastman AC508ce!

I had to drive over an hour and a half to get to a guitar shop in the UK that stocked Lakewood, Auden, Furch and Eastman guitars. I hadn't got to play any of them previously, but I sat down in the shop and took up a good three hours or so of the incredibly patient shopkeepers time. I played practically every small to medium bodied guitar in that shop, and there was just something special about that particular Eastman.

The low oval "D" shaped neck profile fit my hand perfectly, the 1.3/4" nut width was a joy to play fingerstyle on and the guitar just sings when picked with bare fingers. Clear punchy midrange without a hint of muffled boxiness, subtle overtones and bags of sustain. A real, truly handcrafted guitar at the price of this Eastman isn't something I see everyday, much less can afford. What really surprised me though was that I decided on a cutaway with a pickup! I hadn't gone out looking for either, but I must admit that the higher fret access and the amazing sounding Fishman Matrix under saddle pickup really sweeten the deal.

Bizarrely, I don't actually have the guitar with me at the moment but I'll be sure to upload some pics once I do before the end of the week! The guy in the shop said he would do a full professional set up of the guitar and mail it to me for free! Can't say fairer than that.

Once again guys, I'd just really like to thank you all for your help. There were quite a few points you raised for buying a guitar that I hadn't considered before.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, fingerstyle, first post, new guitar