The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-30-2022, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

I loved every record of theirs, and I'm thrilled that I was "there" when each of them happened... really glad that this is hypothetical and that I don't have to choose a favorite!

That said? From "Beatles '65" on, they were so dominate as to be unbeatable... up to "Let It Be", at least. I've come to appreciate that record, although I enjoy "Let It Be - Naked" a whole lot more than the original LP... but, just knowing that this one signified "the end" of the band put a severe damper on the recording for me... of course, back then, we did not know that "Abbey Road" was really their "last" record.

I have yet to see any of the episodes of the new movie, but I'm looking forward to when I can!

As for a favorite? Right now, I'd go with "Revolver"...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-30-2022, 06:12 PM

Ok, a little 'get off my lawn' rant from me. These days I think of Beatles' albums as they were released in the UK.

Something New, Beatles '65, Beatles VI, Yesterday and Today, et. al. do not count in my book. Drive My Car is on Rubber Soul, etc. etc. etc.

Ok, I feel better now
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-01-2022, 11:26 AM

The White Album just a seriously great selection of songs.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 02-01-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Ok, a little 'get off my lawn' rant from me. These days I think of Beatles' albums as they were released in the UK.

Something New, Beatles '65, Beatles VI, Yesterday and Today, et. al. do not count in my book. Drive My Car is on Rubber Soul, etc. etc. etc.

Ok, I feel better now
Yeah Bob, I think that way these days too, but there is something a little magical about those Capitol releases. I just love Beatles 65 and Something New...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-01-2022, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post

Ok, I feel better now
Well...

While the LPs from the UK releases were quite different, still, the American releases are the ones that were available back in the 60's when they were released. "Our" original releases have a lot of memories attached to them, for me... and I suspect for most of the folks who were actually around back then!

The UK versions make a whole lot more sense, certainly, and I love hearing them. Don't understand "why?" Capitol made different records for the two marketplaces, but I'm sure they thought they'd make more money that way... ain't that always the deciding factor?!!!

Truth is that the British records weren't readily available (if at all) back in the original years of release...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-01-2022, 04:00 PM

My comments were mostly tongue in cheek. I had all the Capitol releases myself. But when it comes to rating the releases I personally prefer thinking of how they were originally intended to be released, that is all.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-01-2022, 04:14 PM

hard call

if I only get one choice, gotta go with Let It Be..

but.. Rubber Soul is real close.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Abbey Road... just love it... the medley is great, but "Something," "I Want You" and "Come Together" aren't bad either.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:29 PM

Tough one for me to call as my favourite songs are generally thinly spread across all the albums from '65 onwards. If pushed, I think I'd have to go with 'Revolver' as that was the first proper full-price Beatles album I bought after the discounted 'Rock'n'Roll Music Vols 1 & 2' and 'Rarities' compilations I bought with my meagre pocket money.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1399 View Post
I would say A Hard Day's Night (UK version). I love their early pop songs and this album is chock full of them.
I’m with you, John. I call my thirty favorite Beatles songs “the pantheon,” and the UK Hard Day’s Night release has more pantheon songs than any other (7). They are:

A Hard Day’s Night
I Should Have Known Better
If I Fell
And I Love Her
Tell Me Why
Can’t Buy Me Love
You Can’t Do That

Not all these songs are on everyone’s top 30, but everybody’s got their quirks. Interestingly, while I love John Lennon, I’m a huge Paul McCartney guy. And yet, A Hard Day’s Night is dominated by John. He sings lead on nine of the thirteen tracks (Paul has a secondary lead on two of those), Paul sings lead on only three, and George one. I love a lot of other Beatle albums, all of them actually, but this one’s my favorite.

Tom
Emerald X20 2021
Maton EBG 808TE 2011
Stonebridge OM32LMDB 2015
Martin D16e (GC Special) 2020
Taylor GS Mini 2015
Taylor 420 1995
Martin 00-17 1953 (with daughter)
Yamaha 325e 2014 (traded)
Old 02-09-2022, 12:40 PM

For me, it’s simply not possible to pick one.
I noticed that so far, no one has selected “Meet The Beatles”

While I still can’t pick any one over another, this album was what lit the world on fire. For me, it captured the essence of every aspect of the Beatles musical genius and why they took the world by storm. It was 1964 and nobody was quite ready for what was coming.
The songwriting, the raw but ultra tight driving pop, the arrangements, the creative instrumental fills, Ringo’s drumming, McCartneys bass and of course, the vocals.

Although it wasn’t a “hit” by Beatles standards,I submit this song as an example :
Crank it up!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-09-2022, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
For me, it’s simply not possible to pick one.
I noticed that so far, no one has selected “Meet The Beatles”

While I still can’t pick any one over another, this album was what lit the world on fire. For me, it captured the essence of every aspect of the Beatles musical genius and why they took the world by storm. It was 1964 and nobody was quite ready for what was coming.
The songwriting, the raw but ultra tight driving pop, the arrangements, the creative instrumental fills, Ringo’s drumming, McCartneys bass and of course, the vocals.

Although it wasn’t a “hit” by Beatles standards,I submit this song as an example :
Crank it up!

Killer choice rokdog!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-09-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Killer choice rokdog!
Thanks! Appreciate it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-18-2022, 05:10 PM

Revolver would be my choice. But there are many others I think are great as well.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I listen to Revolver, Rubber Soul, and the "Help!" albums the most. I use a USB drive and copy off the albums onto that and listen through my stereo system to high quality mp3 files while I work out every day. There are songs on these albums that I dislike, especially the Ringo songs, so I just deleted those from the files on the USB drive. I like the earliest Beatles stuff a lot, too. The later stuff I like a whole lot less, although there are great songs on every Beatles album.

I think what we like among the Beatles albums depends a lot on our age. People 10-15 years younger than me tend to like the later albums. I am getting to be a little on the older end of the scale on the AGF and that's probably why I appreciate the early and middle Beatles albums. For the later albums I was in college and simply didn't have time (or money) for the stuff the Beatles put out then.

In fact, I never owned a Beatles album until recently when I bought a whole set of remastered albums. So now I have them all. All my friends had Beatles albums when I was young and so I could listen to their music for free. I spent my money on stuff my friends weren't interested in. As a result I never really internalized the Beatles music until well into my 60s. I'm still internalizing their stuff as I am turning age 74.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN