The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2023, 04:27 PM

Cool Gibson J-45 Studio vs Generation G-45

Hey everyone, sorry if there’s already a thread about this somewhere but I couldn’t find anything. I am looking into getting my first solid wood guitar. Right now I have a Martin DCX1E and I do like it but I want to add another guitar to my collection and get my first higher end one. I’ve tried both the Gibson J-45 studio in walnut and rosewood and prefer the walnut and I’ve also tried the g-45 generation and I like both guitars. Apart from the gloss finish and the pickup on the J-45 and the player port on the G-45 what are the reasons for the major price difference?

Both guitars are Sitka top, and walnut back and sides, both are made in USA and are both all solid wood.

They do have some other differences I.e. body depth, fretboard material etc. but I just can’t understand why the J-45 studio is nearly double the price?
Is there something I’m missing that should be factored into my decision?

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 07-19-2023, 05:37 PM

J45 Studios have a thinner body depth compared to a Standard. I can't speak to the G45's though.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

The fit and finish on thr j45 studio is way better. Both are thin bodies. The J45 has equal or upgraded woods, hardware and finishes across the board and a nice hard case. It’s feels and plays like a guitar that wasn’t compromised at all and thr G series is all cut corners to be able to be as cheap as it is. The G series feels janky and low quality and is in comparison by most objective standards. That doesn’t mean they can’t sound and play well, I just don’t see them at all in the same category of quality ad thr J45 studio.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:42 PM

Yeah when I was trying both in store the j-45 studio definitely felt like it was finished nicer but I think part of that was that I find gloss finishes just feel more premium than satin. When playing the 2 I didn’t find that J-45 felt better to play personally. I do understand that the J-45 is for sure the nicer guitar but I’m still having a hard time understanding why it is so much more expensive for the G-45 when it seems like most of the differences are aesthetic other than the J-45 has an included pick up
Old 07-20-2023, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Pickup, tuners, binding, finish, hardshell case, pickguard, head plate, bracing, build quality, etc. there’s actually a ton of differences that contribute to a higher price.

There’s also a video of a guy sawing. g45 in half to show how crappy it’s built. Again, that doesn’t mean it’s a bad guitar or that it won’t sound or play well, it’s just intended to be as stripped down as possible to meet a price point.

The previous G45s, however, we’re incredibly similar, likely too similar to thr J45 studio, so they made the giant leap backwards to the current version to create separation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, gibson j-45, guitar comparison, guitar help, new guitar decision