The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2021, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I tried the Martin monels and liked them a lot. Then I tried the John Pearse and liked them better. But to my ear, the D'Addario nickel-bronze blew them both away--still have the strong fundamentals and clear separation, but as someone noted above, just a much fuller sound (if that's not too contradictory). Finally, I think the Newtone Masterclass Nickel are the best--everything the others are, but more!
Note: this is all on adirondack/mahogany guitars (om and 00)--haven't had much luck with nickel on my rosewood guitar. Also, I'm strictly a fingerpicker, so your results my vary.

"It could have been worse"
--Roy Book Binder
Old 07-27-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKing34 View Post
D’addario Nickel Bronze work well on my J-45.
Same goes for me and they seem to last forever. Monels sounded too dead to me.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:04 AM

emuhunter - If you have gone from bronze to monel and looking for alternatives to try - consider a set of silver plated strings (very old school) these are sold by LaBella, Pyramid and of course Black Diamond. I do like phosphor bronze strings on my little Seagull but I tried out some sets of these last winter and the silvered strings do give this guitar another voice.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:04 PM

In a different thread, where I described the sound I want to find (I think I have) was described as, less over tones and sustain comes with the Martin Monels- I described what I was looking for as dramatic. PB's produce too much sustain for my taste in what I try to do. I want, in, out, and onto the next note for effect.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:14 PM

Thank you all for the help!

I ordered a set of D’Addario nickel bronze for my WL-K and will be giving them a shot tomorrow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion