The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2021, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Boxy?

I often see the word boxy used in describing guitar tones but I'm not sure I really know what it means or sounds like. Probably hard to describe but wondering if anyone can explain it. Also, when it's present, is it everywhere on the fretboard or can it be more specific than that (e.g. the lower strings E, A, D)?

There are times when I imagine I'm hearing this on my Eastmans. Sometimes when I put new strings on and on the aforementioned strings around first position.

Anyway, any clues or examples?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2021, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

A lot of us use it to describe the sound you get when you play a guitar beyond its headroom. So it's more commonly used to describe smaller guitars, but I've heard that quality in overbuilt larger guitars as well. (Although a well-built small guitar will not sound boxy under most playing styles.). There may be other definitions, but that's my experience.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:20 AM

The term “boxy” to me, is usually applied to the smaller, parlor type guitars.

I am not as seasoned in my guitar journey as others on this forum, but, I own two Eastman OM’s, a 40 and a PCH-3, and in no way have I heard “boxy”.

I do have an Art & Lutherie Roadouse Parlor that to me, exhibits some boxiness, although I lack the adjectives to describe it effectively.

Others here will no doubt explain it much better than I.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I like guitar tone that has depth and resonance, which to me is the opposite of boxy. I've found my desired tone in larger bodied guitars such as my two jumbos so I'd tend to generalize that boxiness is more common among small guitars like parlors. Of course there are exceptions as many will be quick to point out...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-26-2021, 06:37 AM

I had a Gretsch Jim Dandy that I'd call boxy sounding- flat, as it were, with no resonance or sustain even with a string change- it was a cheap model and it sounded like it. The key word being, "had". I took it back and traded for something else.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:57 AM

I use it to describe a guitar which has a compressed EQ. On one side, think of a wide-open sounding dread, with deep rumbling bass and smooth glassy trebles (very wide tonal spectrum) to a parlor sized guitar that may sound restricted / compressed in comparison (boxy).
Old 07-26-2021, 07:10 AM

"Boxy" tone is familiar to many of us that started out on small body plywood guitars. Most players who started on that type of instrument are all too familiar with the tone.

It's unfortunate that "boxy" has been widely adopted to describe guitars that are on the parlor end of sizes. It has a lot less to do with the size and has much more to do with being made from plywood and the somewhat crude bracing patterns that the inexpensive instruments were supplied with.

Small bodied guitars with quality woods and proper bracing patterns don't usually fit the "boxy tone" descriptor.

"Everything old is new again", and that can certainly be used to describe the current infatuation for having an instrument that displays "boxy" tonal color. Manufacturers sometimes try to associate the tone with classic recordings, referring to them as "blues boxes".

My first "store-bought", a Kay my mom got for 2 books of S&H green stamps, was most definately boxy, and would not be a tone that I'd want to return to.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

For me it means very mid-range dominated tone, really lacking high and low end with little resonance.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

I think terms like boomy and boxy get assigned to sizes, but there are many dreads that aren’t boomy and many small-bodied guitars that are not boxy. Here is a decent attempt to describe these terms from a sound engineer.

https://blog.landr.com/confusing-mix-terms/
Old 07-26-2021, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Fascinating. Thanks for all the replies. Most of all it helped me sort out what I've been hearing in my Eastmans. Based on what I've read here I wouldn't describe them as "boxy" so I can let go of that label. Helpful!
Old 07-26-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
...It's unfortunate that "boxy" has been widely adopted to describe guitars that are on the parlor end of sizes. It has a lot less to do with the size and has much more to do with being made from plywood and the somewhat crude bracing patterns that the inexpensive instruments were supplied with....
Yes, boxy and size aren't necessarily related. My Collings 0-size has a pretty even response and lots of sustain - anything but boxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
For me it means very mid-range dominated tone, really lacking high and low end with little resonance.
Boxy was something I knew when I heard it, without having a good way to describe it. This is almost perfect - but I'd add a lack of sustain as well. For some reason I usually hear boxiness first on the B string, which sounds dull and has little sustain.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:33 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
"Boxy" tone is familiar to many of us that started out on small body plywood guitars. Most players who started on that type of instrument are all too familiar with the tone.
I like this answer.

I agree with others that it is not dependent on size. My smallest axe, a K. Yairi classical, is the most sing-songy little guitar
Former AGF Moderator
Old 07-26-2021, 08:47 AM

https://youtu.be/ys_53ey-XS0

This is the sound I associate with Boxy.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-26-2021, 09:09 AM

To me boxy means lo-fi. It is like tapping a cigar box.

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-26-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Boxy was something I knew when I heard it, without having a good way to describe it. This is almost perfect - but I'd add a lack of sustain as well. For some reason I usually hear boxiness first on the B string, which sounds dull and has little sustain.
LOL, I actually had little resonance "and sustain" at end and then took it off just trying to be brief, but, I agree sir!

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-27-2021 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Repaired quote tags.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion