The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-26-2021, 08:28 AM

I think the iRig is off my list lol. Main reason why I want to go soundhole pickup route is for live recordings with another guitarist in the room and I play backing music out of monitors which a condenser will pick up. And later on live venue use.

For online streaming I use in-ears too so can use a condenser mic which works ok - however I would like that flexibility to use a soundhole pickup in case. Neighbours have an overly noisy dog that likes to come out in the garden and bark very loud (too loud for a small cocker spaniel) and this definitely gets picked up on the mic!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerates View Post
I think the iRig is off my list lol. Main reason why I want to go soundhole pickup route is for live recordings with another guitarist in the room and I play backing music out of monitors which a condenser will pick up. And later on live venue use.

For online streaming I use in-ears too so can use a condenser mic which works ok - however I would like that flexibility to use a soundhole pickup in case. Neighbours have an overly noisy dog that likes to come out in the garden and bark very loud (too loud for a small cocker spaniel) and this definitely gets picked up on the mic!
The iRig is not at all like using a condenser mic on stand. Perhaps I've stressed too much that it's not totally isolated or down at the level of a solid body electric guitar on a DI connection. An acoustic guitar is a big diaphragm. A pickup (even a magnetic pickup) is coil in effect. You're never going to get complete isolation with an acoustic guitar pickup.

I've used the iRig a few times in a live room recording with drums, bass and keys coming out monitors at modest levels (sounds like what you do) and I didn't have feedback issues. No the guitar track in isolation wasn't pristine, but it was usable and "bleed" even at low levels is always going to be a thing in live recordings with amplified sound present in the room.

General ambient noise with trucks, dogs, urban streets has not been a big issue in my usual uses of the iRig.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-26-2021, 02:21 PM

Ah ok fair enough. I mean, it would do a job I guess, but I want something a bit better as it'd be for long term use. The iRig just sounds like its a stop-gap just til I find something better.

Right now its a choice of the Mojotone NC-1 or the Schertler AG6 - which none were on the original list!
Old 07-26-2021, 03:20 PM

I'm partial to mic blends, so I would go with the Mag Mic on that list. I use a Schertler AG6/S-mic, but I all the mic blend sound hole pickups I've heard sound similar, and they all sound good.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:44 AM

Will strongly keep the Mag Mic in consideration, maybe even get one as a spare/backup type thing. But I think I'm leaning towards the Schertler as the 50/50 pickup/mic blend sounds amazing.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Has anyone experienced (or even using) any of these 4 soundhole pickups:

1. LR Baggs M1 Active
2. LR Baggs M80
3. iRig acoustic stage
4. Seymour Duncan Mag Mic?

Was doing some live takes of some lessons I do and the condenser mic I was using was picking up the speaker monitor playback (for backing track) which caused feedback so I don't think I'll be using a mic!

My initial choice was the M80 as I liked its sound but the M1 is said to be good and so is the Mag Mic.

Any other suggestions/recommendations welcome.
I have an M1 Passive on the way. The short cable run to a buffered pedal won't degrade the signal in any way, and no batteries.

I thought about the iRig but the thin cable to the outboard box looks like I'll break it easily.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock View Post
I have an M1 Passive on the way. The short cable run to a buffered pedal won't degrade the signal in any way, and no batteries.

I thought about the iRig but the thin cable to the outboard box looks like I'll break it easily.
That's cool, when you get it would be cool to hear what your thoughts are. I've considered the M1 active but it doesn't have a mic blend option and I'd like that flexibility if recording or streaming.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I thought the same about the thin iRig Stage cable, but mine's held up so far.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-30-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
That's cool, when you get it would be cool to hear what your thoughts are. I've considered the M1 active but it doesn't have a mic blend option and I'd like that flexibility if recording or streaming.
I use headphones for recording/streaming, so I can use mics without feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I thought the same about the thin iRig Stage cable, but mine's held up so far.
It's more about user error than actual quality.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I use headphones for recording/streaming, so I can use mics without feedback.
Yeah so do I but it’s a hassle having to sit in a same specific position and sometimes I stream from a different room with less space that can’t house a boom mic stand.

Then I take live clips using speaker monitor playback as there’s another guitarist in the room with me so inpractical for us both to wear headphones.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:55 AM

After several weeks researching and thinking I'm pulling the trigger on a Schertler AG6 soundhole pickup with the S-Mic as well to blend. It's gonna cost almost 300 euro to ship it from Switzerland to the UK but its to cover import taxes etc and its a priority service (2-4 days) so I should get it pretty quick.

Will keep Mag Mic in mind as a backup as its very good as well but the Schertler is my favourite sounding one.

Let's hope it sounds great in my D28!
Old 08-18-2021, 08:54 AM

I love my AG6/S-mic, and have them in several guitars. Just be aware that you can only turn the mic up to 15% or so live before it feeds back. It sounds really great at that level though.

I turn the mic all the way up for recording though, so I'm glad for the extra room on the dial. It sounds like this with the mic all the way up:

https://youtu.be/36W_wq65eDA
Old 08-18-2021, 09:11 AM

Sounds great! What model Martin is your acoustic by the way? Is it a D-something?

Yeah if I'm using it live even 10% mic will make a difference and not be enough to feedback. If it gets a bit too noisy I'll just pickup only which will still be useable and sound great.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:33 AM

Default Which soundhole pickup

In that video it is a D-15M. No bling, but a solid sounding and playing, solid mahogany guitar. I also have the same pickup in a DX1 and it sounds the same over a PA system.

The S-Mic is an omnidirectional, whereas the mic in a Fishman Rare Earth Blend is a cardiod. That is why the REB needs the little aimable gooseneck whereas the S-Mic just sticks out and cannot be adjusted. It is a trade off: the cardiod is more resistant to feedback whereas the omni is a more natural sound without resonant peaks. Personally, I prefer the omni-directional mic even if I have turn it down a little. I really do like the sound of both though. If I didn’t have my AG6, I would choose another mic blend soundhole pickup over other designs.

The way I do it to avoid feedback is to do the sound check with the mic turned all the way down, and when the levels right and the sound is good, that’s when I turn up the mic ever so slightly, really listening for boxiness or ringing as I do. If I start with the mic turned on, the soundperson will hear a bit of feedback and turn me way down.

Last edited by lkingston; 08-18-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:29 AM

Oh ok, cool. Its a nice sounding guitar. I think if I get to playing live in a venue with a big PA I may not bother with the S-mic at all. When I mention "live" at home it means with a speaker monitor playing backing music and another guitarist in the room so we play together. I can probably get away with a little bit of mic straight into the desk mixed with the other acoustic via an SM57 and mix in the backing track.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification