The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 04:14 AM

Default Luna acoustic guitar

I have recently looked at a vintage Luna W 200 japanese acoustic guitar. It seems that there is very little to none information to find about it on the internett. So i was hoping someone here might have som knowledge or experience with this guitar? Is it a good guitar? Does it have any value at all?
Old 08-04-2021, 06:06 AM

Luna instruments have not been around long enough to be "vintage" (typically refers to at least 25 years old or more).

Luna instruments are not built in Japan, they are built in China mostly.

I would not trust anyone advertising a "vintage" Luna "from Japan."

Luna instruments I've seen have all been low end artistic interpretations of guitar or ukulele shaped objects sold at shops that don't typically carry player-grade instruments.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:25 AM

I have a Luna Folk Body. I like it. The only thing I don't like is the string spacing close to the nut. But, it sounds good.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:39 AM

Welcome to the forum, Stringsword.

I've never read anything "bad" about Luna guitars, but they are generally aimed at the beginner-to-intermediate market, and use their striking good looks as their major selling point, rather than their sound. Kinda makes you wonder ... why would a guitar maker do that? They don't have a lot of appeal to the "high end" crowd you'll find here at AGF, but that shouldn't necessarily deter you from getting one.

If you try it out, it feels good in YOUR hands, and YOU like the tone and sound of it, it might be the perfect guitar for you.

As far as prices, I'd guesstimate somewhere in the $100-150 range would be about right for a used one in reasonably good shape. They're not expensive guitars in the first place, don't overpay for it.

Good luck with it!
Old 08-04-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
Welcome to the forum, Stringsword.

I've never read anything "bad" about Luna guitars, but they are generally aimed at the beginner-to-intermediate market, and use their striking good looks as their major selling point, rather than their sound. Kinda makes you wonder ... why would a guitar maker do that? They don't have a lot of appeal to the "high end" crowd you'll find here at AGF, but that shouldn't necessarily deter you from getting one.

If you try it out, it feels good in YOUR hands, and YOU like the tone and sound of it, it might be the perfect guitar for you.

As far as prices, I'd guesstimate somewhere in the $100-150 range would be about right for a used one in reasonably good shape. They're not expensive guitars in the first place, don't overpay for it.

Good luck with it!

If I may- what does over-pay mean? I paid 279 bucks for my Folk Body, I'd sell it for anything over 50% of what I paid. It's less than a year old (I got it last spring). It is in "mint" condition and I probably have the box it came in. Should I ask for more?
Old 08-04-2021, 08:42 AM

I bought a cool little Luna for my daughter to play, it is really striking and unique in appearance and although it is nothing to get excited about in terms of sound, it is 100% perfect for what it is used for and sounds pretty good for a starter guitar for her. They are what they are. She also has a Luna Uke, all spalted Maple which has held up well for the 5 years she has had it.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
If I may- what does over-pay mean? I paid 279 bucks for my Folk Body, I'd sell it for anything over 50% of what I paid. It's less than a year old (I got it last spring). It is in "mint" condition and I probably have the box it came in. Should I ask for more?

Right, I believe the OP is looking at a used guitar, calling it "vintage" - whatever they mean by that. But he doesn't say what the seller is asking for it. If they're asking $400 or something like that, I'd call that "over-paying".

Did you get yours new at $279? 60% of $279 is $167 - right about (more or less) in the range I'm guesstimating a used Luna should go for.

Personally, I think Lunas are nice looking guitars, and price isn't necessarily an indication of "good" anymore. There's product for every imaginable niche these days. Just look at Recording King and Gretsch Jim Dandies. Cheap guitars, but they do their thing extremely well, if what they do is what you're looking for!

Assuming the OP can try before they buy, I think it'll come down to how it feels and plays in their own hands.

---

Last edited by Highroller; 08-05-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
...striking good looks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
...it is really striking and unique in appearance....
As mentioned, they are very low-end guitars. They are generally "striking" because they use laminates, not solid woods. With laminates, they can get eye-catching flames or other wood figuring without the high price normally associated with fine solid wood figuring. In general, laminates do not produce the rich, preferred tone of more expensive guitars.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-05-2021, 09:34 AM

I have looked at Luna in the past. They do have some nice looking instruments with some of their series. They even have a bamboo travel guitar.

I wasn't looking at them as a player but for their looks.

Thought of as a beginner guitar they do list from about $180 to $830 depending on the model.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion