The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-03-2021, 07:33 PM

Default Need help with effects chain

I am in the process of building a pedalboard for solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar and need some help with stacking effects. My guitar is equipped with an LR Baggs LB6 pickup. The pedalboard will consist of:

Fishman Platinum Pro preamp - basically a preamp with tuner and compressor
Digitech Mosaic - 12 string simulation. When used sparingly it adds some tasteful harmonics to the sound
Boss RC1 Looper
Strymon Blue Sky Reverb

My amp is a Genz Benz Shenandoah but I am considering either going through a Fishman SA330 or a Bose L1.

I could use some guidance with the sequence of effect pedals.
Christian
Old 08-03-2021, 07:49 PM

As a rule of thumb, the looper is the last item in the chain. Otherwise, there are no set "rules." That said, it's best not to put "noisy" pedals too early in the chain, as eq and boost pedals tend to amplify the hiss. I'd run the 12 string simulation late in the chain. You many want to consider adding a volume pedal as well, but given the preamp has a boost, maybe not.

I'd run the 3 effects pedals all in the effects loop. Looper last. You may be able to get away with running the 12 string emulator first in the chain since you only have 3 effects, and they're gonna be in the relatively "quiet" effects loop.
The reverb after that effect will definitely make it sound "larger."

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 08-03-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
As a rule of thumb, the looper is the last item in the chain. Otherwise, there are no set "rules." That said, it's best not to put "noisy" pedals too early in the chain, as eq and boost pedals tend to amplify the hiss. I'd run the 12 string simulation late in the chain. You many want to consider adding a volume pedal as well, but given the preamp has a boost, maybe not.

I'd run the 3 effects pedals all in the effects loop. Looper last. You may be able to get away with running the 12 string emulator first in the chain since you only have 3 effects. The reverb after that effect will definitely make it sound "larger."
Thanks, YG. It sounds like the chain would be Preamp - Blue Sky - Mosaik - RC1.
Christian
Old 08-04-2021, 02:31 AM

Default Need help with effects chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
Thanks, YG. It sounds like the chain would be Preamp - Blue Sky - Mosaik - RC1.

I would generally put the reverb last unless running two units (sometimes that can be fun!).

The setup you described here would have the Mosaic adding 12-string effects to reverb. Which could be fun but then I would add another reverb at the end of the chain to add “normal” room or hall effects. I would also make sure reverb comes after the looper otherwise you may (only may) get reverbs looped. Again, if it’s the result you want then fine…
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-04-2021, 02:40 AM

Is it relevant that there's an FX loop on the Fishman? I'm assuming it's the silver one and not the (older?) grey one which doesn't.

It's got a nice input and a balanced XLR output which it be good to keep either end of the chain.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 08-04-2021 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:52 AM

agree with "Loop is last" rule of thumb.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the input. I do like to have the option of having reverb in the loops. Especially since I try to incorporate some percussive elements. But generally, I am looking to use any pedals sparingly, keep the acoustic character of the guitar and avoid the ambient thing.
I put the board together yesterday without the preamp (on order through Reverb) and I am happy with the results. When the Fishman comes in I will figure out the effects loop.
As you can tell, I'm new to this.
Christian
Old 08-04-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
...I do like to have the option of having reverb in the loops. Especially since I try to incorporate some percussive elements. But generally, I am looking to use any pedals sparingly, keep the acoustic character of the guitar and avoid the ambient thing.
Just to clarify, you will have reverb on the loops whichever way round you go. There is however one consideration which might be relevant or not depending on your specific setup.

If you put reverb before looper then your loop will include the reverb tail which will begin again as the loop restarts. If you put looper before reverb then the dry guitar will loop and then go through the reverb which will not be chopped off at the designated time but finish it's natural cycle as the next repeat creates another tail over the top.

Short reverb tails will probably not be an issue but just in case you decide to go the whole Enya...

In your position this might be unimportant or even relatively inaudible, but it will be happening.

Something to listen out for and make a creative judgement on.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Just to clarify, you will have reverb on the loops whichever way round you go. There is however one consideration which might be relevant or not depending on your specific setup.

If you put reverb before looper then your loop will include the reverb tail which will begin again as the loop restarts. If you put looper before reverb then the dry guitar will loop and then go through the reverb which will not be chopped off at the designated time but finish it's natural cycle as the next repeat creates another tail over the top.

Short reverb tails will probably not be an issue but just in case you decide to go the whole Enya...

In your position this might be unimportant or even relatively inaudible, but it will be happening.

Something to listen out for and make a creative judgement on.
That’s an excellent point I have not thought about. I think I will have to play around a bit and find my preference. I know it’s not going to be full Enya. 😄
Christian
Old 08-05-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Just couple more thoughts I got into pedal FX about 4 years ago And it is an entire additional universe to explore to be sure .

Depending on budget and looking to the future . For solo acoustic guitar and if your after the clean subtle sound changes you might consider a switching unit (which does couple things).
#1 it puts all the in and out switching into one box , usually placed at the bottom of the board , (I suppose with only 3 or 4 FX that is not a big deal as they can be all be side by side)
#2 and more importantly it isolates the pedals from each other In other words they are no longer connected in series they are instead in parallel

What I use is the the GigRig Quartermaster because it uses electronic bypass switches not mechanical so there is no popping that you can get with mechanical bypass switches present on most pedals .

One caveat is, it requires more interconnect cabling because for each pedal the cabling goes both send and return to the Switcher in parallel,, as opposed to connecting the pedals to each other in series.

Personally if considering a switcher I would get with it one more switch loop than the number of pedals I think I will be using
So for 4 pedals the QM 6

https://shopusa.thegigrig.com/quartermaster-qmx-6/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-05-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Just couple more thoughts I got into pedal FX about 4 years ago And it is an entire additional universe to explore to be sure .

Depending on budget and looking to the future . For solo acoustic guitar and if your after the clean subtle sound changes you might consider a switching unit (which does couple things).
#1 it puts all the in and out switching into one box , usually placed at the bottom of the board , (I suppose with only 3 or 4 FX that is not a big deal as they can be all be side by side)
#2 and more importantly it isolates the pedals from each other In other words they are no longer connected in series they are instead in parallel

What I use is the the GigRig Quartermaster because it uses electronic bypass switches not mechanical so there is no popping that you can get with mechanical bypass switches present on most pedals .

One caveat is, it requires more interconnect cabling because for each pedal the cabling goes both send and return to the Switcher in parallel,, as opposed to connecting the pedals to each other in series.

Personally if considering a switcher I would get with it one more switch loop than the number of pedals I think I will be using
So for 4 pedals the QM 6

https://shopusa.thegigrig.com/quartermaster-qmx-6/

Those are really good suggestions and I can easily see myself going down that rabbit hole. I try to keep it simple and find one sound that I like. Once it is dialed in I am planning not to touch the board again.
Christian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification