The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-01-2021, 06:21 PM

Default Stayin' Alive

I had to change it up a bit here, so get your disco shoes on and keep Stayin' Alive! That's my Huss and Dalton TOM-R btw.

Words and music by Barry, Robin, and Maurice Gibb (Bee Gee's)
Arr K. Valeau

Old 08-02-2021, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Well done, James!

Man, that was an ambitious undertaking to turn a song like that into an instrumental! Good for you!

And it sounds good! Great job on the recording!

- Glenn
Old 08-02-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Man, that was an ambitious undertaking to turn a song like that into an instrumental! Good for you!
- Glenn
Yes, yes, that was Quite an accomplishment, very well done.
Very important lesson displayed. Any given tune's feel can change depending on how it is played and instruments used.
I had really enjoyed the BeeGees albums pre -Staying Alive. Thought so many of their songs were beautifully done. I did Like their Staying Alive Album when it came out. But at the same time it created a problem for us Rock Musicians, as Disco became the hot ticket and Rock was out. That lasted 4 or 5 years. Enough time to change the face of Rock. And the Disco that followed, was not of the same caliper as the BeeGees writings.
So I have always had this love hate relationship with the BeeGees for popularizing Disco. Thanks to you I am seeing this song with a new perspective. One that says this besides being a nice tune...it actually has a lot of depth to it.
Hope I am not veering off topic to much here.. I recently skimmed through a video by Rick Beato, that Showed just how complex Sergio Mendes's (Never Gonna Let You Go), Is. Wow, I had no idea there were so many complicated chord changes. Certainly a very pleasant song, But it is also not in my top song favorites. Now I am seeing it in a whole new light...as I am with Staying alive.
There is a "lot more to it than meets the ear(eye)."
Anyway...great job!
Old 08-02-2021, 10:06 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Good arrangement, tough one to play though! That one is for younger fingers than mine Good job!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-02-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Yes, yes, that was Quite an accomplishment, very well done.
Very important lesson displayed. Any given tune's feel can change depending on how it is played and instruments used.
I had really enjoyed the BeeGees albums pre -Staying Alive. Thought so many of their songs were beautifully done. I did Like their Staying Alive Album when it came out. But at the same time it created a problem for us Rock Musicians, as Disco became the hot ticket and Rock was out. That lasted 4 or 5 years. Enough time to change the face of Rock. And the Disco that followed, was not of the same caliper as the BeeGees writings.
So I have always had this love hate relationship with the BeeGees for popularizing Disco. Thanks to you I am seeing this song with a new perspective. One that says this besides being a nice tune...it actually has a lot of depth to it.
Hope I am not veering off topic to much here.. I recently skimmed through a video by Rick Beato, that Showed just how complex Sergio Mendes's (Never Gonna Let You Go), Is. Wow, I had no idea there were so many complicated chord changes. Certainly a very pleasant song, But it is also not in my top song favorites. Now I am seeing it in a whole new light...as I am with Staying alive.
There is a "lot more to it than meets the ear(eye)."
Anyway...great job!
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

K&G, those are some astute observations. Yes, it is a fairly complex arrangement for a pop song. I wonder if being written for a movie soundtrack had anything to do with that? It was quite a challenge to work up and the timing is really tough (as evidence of my screwing it up in the 1st verse). Those quarter notes in the bass were the only way I could hold it together.

I was also a rocker back in my youth. I hated disco! I even had a t-shirt that said "disco sux". But that's one of the nice things about getting older, I've learned to appreciate a lot of stuff my younger self would have said "dude, that is so uncool". I'm building up my repetior and want to mix in a few things like that. After all, that song did kind of defined an era.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Well done, like this a lot!

Cheers

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-02-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

K&G, those are some astute observations. Yes, it is a fairly complex arrangement for a pop song. I wonder if being written for a movie soundtrack had anything to do with that? It was quite a challenge to work up and the timing is really tough (as evidence of my screwing it up in the 1st verse). Those quarter notes in the bass were the only way I could hold it together.

I was also a rocker back in my youth. I hated disco! I even had a t-shirt that said "disco sux". But that's one of the nice things about getting older, I've learned to appreciate a lot of stuff my younger self would have said "dude, that is so uncool". I'm building up my repetior and want to mix in a few things like that. After all, that song did kind of defined an era.
And boy did it ever Define an era. Changed everything.
Looking back now from my ancient age, I now realize that all things must change(or as Harrison said " All things must Pass"). Change is inevitable.
Change is the Structure, if not the basis, of life itself. Sometimes, the change is for the better. And if it is not, then that is where the Circle of Life comes into play. Life repeats itself and we return to what we thought was once lost.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell