The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-31-2021, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Does a string-tension gauge exist?

Or has anyone built one?

Seems like it would be easy to bolt an old neck to a base with an adjustable length and attack a scale (tensiometer) to a bridge to get a real-world experimental number to compare different string gauges, materials, etc...

Been toying with the idea of building one, but surely such a beast exists?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-31-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

There are online charts and calculators that give this info.

for example:
https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_gui..._from_size.htm

https://www.daddario.com/globalasset...hart_13934.pdf

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-31-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Or has anyone built one?

Seems like it would be easy to bolt an old neck to a base with an adjustable length and attack a scale (tensiometer) to a bridge to get a real-world experimental number to compare different string gauges, materials, etc...

Been toying with the idea of building one, but surely such a beast exists?
I don't know anything about this product,
but appears like it might be similar to what you are looking for ?

https://www.checkline.com/product/DX2H
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 08-06-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:02 AM

Toying with different materials, gauges, scale lengths, etc. by doing physical construction would get very pricey quickly.

You could much more easily find the exact number you're looking for by using the tension calculation tools already supplied by string makers.

It's a lot quicker and cheaper to do it sitting in front of a computer.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:38 AM

The formulae can only work for a given core/wrap ratio—two .054 strings could be quite different, for example. I’ve thought about building one—really, the only two parts you’d need (assuming you have scrap wood and some shop access) would be a spare tuner and a scale (like a fisherman would use). In my imaginings, it would have the tuner, then a “nut” (metal rod in a hole with a peaked notched end) and a “saddle” (same thing, but could fit into different holes to register different scale lengths).

I’m also interested in quantifying string stiffness; measuring the force needed to pull a string perpendicular to its length, for a fixed distance. While the tension is certainly related to this, we’ve all played strings that have the same tension but are stiffer or more flexible, based on core shape, winding compression, etc.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Does a string tension gauge exist?
The aviation industry uses cable tension gauges to measure tension on control surface cables. Aircraft cables are much thicker than guitar strings and most likely carry more tension than guitar strings. And I’m not sure if the accuracy tolerance would make the high price worthwhile. But you may find some of the gauges listed in the link suitable for your purposes.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus...ges_cable.html
Old 08-08-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Interesting thought - I have a bandsaw blade tension guage that I’ll have to see if it would clamp onto a guitar string. The only problem is that it would prevent the string from playing, so maybe you’d have to bring the string to pitch, turn back the tuner a fixed number if times, clamp the tension guage on, then re-tighten the tuner -

That, or maybe you could clamp the guage on, turn it up to what the online sources say is the correct tension, then remove the guage and check the actual pitch -

Maybe it is best to just take their word on it -
Old 08-11-2021, 03:17 AM

dnf777

Similar to the links in previous posts there are also tension gauges available for bicycle wheel spokes, boat rigging and sports racquet strings (tennis, squash etc). These range from a few tens of dollars to several hundreds. Each would require some modification and re-calibration to work in the tension range you are interested in. Or you could use the basic design principles to build your own as you suggested in your OP.

Regards,
Clive.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:25 AM

Just a "not thought through" thought.
Would it be possible to hang a weight from each string (tuned at pitch) at, say, 12th fret, to achieve a standard deflection. Would this tell you the tension (after a little calculation)?
Nick
Old 08-11-2021, 03:27 AM

Or maybe even easier, use small weights to see how much weight it takes to depress the string to the fret at 12th fret...guitar on it's back on a table...
Nick
Old 08-15-2021, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
Or maybe even easier, use small weights to see how much weight it takes to depress the string to the fret at 12th fret...guitar on it's back on a table...
Nick
Probably work, but wouldn’t take into account differences in neck, top, or bridge deflection, or amount of string from nut to tuner, and only be valid for that specific scale length. I assume a proper guage would be adjustable and account for most of those things -
Old 09-09-2021, 05:23 PM

Fish scale, luggage scale? I see digital fish scales on amazon up to 50kg around $20-25.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair