The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-02-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock View Post
I would say to them there is no devil and on the off chance there is, I've obviously thrown in with him.

In my limited experience the hardest part of this very popular quest is having a clear idea of what you want.

I've done loads of gigs with just a pickup and a Boss GE-7, as have many folks I've played with on fiddles, mandolins, guitars, etc. If I had to suggest one pedal everyone should have that would probably be it. However, there are other great processing options, i.e.:

Microphone modelling, compression, EQ, mono/stereo chorus, guitar body emulation by various means including impulse responses, utilities like feedback control, tuner...

Having an idea of what you want and being part of the discussion here and elsewhere along with checking out some examples in real life is a nice hobby. You could spend a lifetime and a small fortune going through all the available toys and discovering what you don't need.

In fact, the rest of us did pretty much just that, why should you be any different?

Old 08-02-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post

In my limited experience the hardest part of this very popular quest is having a clear idea of what you want.

I've done loads of gigs with just a pickup and a Boss GE-7, as have many folks I've played with on fiddles, mandolins, guitars, etc. If I had to suggest one pedal everyone should have that would probably be it. However, there are other great processing options, i.e.:

Microphone modelling, compression, EQ, mono/stereo chorus, guitar body emulation by various means including impulse responses, utilities like feedback control, tuner...

Having an idea of what you want and being part of the discussion here and elsewhere along with checking out some examples in real life is a nice hobby. You could spend a lifetime and a small fortune going through all the available toys and discovering what you don't need.

In fact, the rest of us did pretty much just that, why should you be any different?

If I were building an acoustic board for live use, my first crack would be the following:

Peterson Strobostomp HD tuner > BOSS BC-1x compressor > BOSS GE-7 EQ > Ibanez DE7 delay > EHX Nano 360 looper.

A friend gave me a BOSS AD-2 which has "ambience", reverb, and notch filter. I haven't used it yet. I also have a ZOOM MS70CDR which could function as a notch filter, noise reduction, and do all other kinds of things.

I've been looking at amps and I'd probably just go with a Fishman Loudbox Artist if I found the right deal. That has notch, delay, and reverb as well. And, as you well know, would function as a DI and monitor.

So yes, it might take me an entire pedalboard to gain the same functionality as a Fishman ToneDEQ or similar. But outside of IRs, I've got everything already. And if it sounds good already, does an IR really matter? To me, right now, the answer is "no".
Old 08-02-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock View Post
...if it sounds good already, does an IR really matter?
That's an easy one - no.

Agreement! The internet has now done it's job, we can shut it down.

Someone clever once said, "people don't hear guitar tones, they hear songs". I agree with this only in part but I know a lot of weird people in this respect so my observation sample might not be representative.

Btw, when I said, "know what you want" I was thinking about the problem which need fixing rather than a series of Shiny Things to Have, although your choices are all sensible enough.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
That's an easy one - no.

Agreement! The internet has now done it's job, we can shut it down.

Someone clever once said, "people don't hear guitar tones, they hear songs". I agree with this only in part but I know a lot of weird people in this respect so my observation sample might not be representative.

Btw, when I said, "know what you want" I was thinking about the problem which need fixing rather than a series of Shiny Things to Have, although your choices are all sensible enough.
Les Paul once said "people hear with their eyes". I'm in full agreement.

I gave a guitar lesson tonight. M1 loaded Yamaha straight into the interface, over ZOOM, no processing. It sounds fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification