The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-25-2021, 06:13 AM

Default (X) in Guitar Tablature

I have some tablature where there are muted notes shown as X but the same notes given brackets too i.e. (X). But what does it mean please?
Old 07-25-2021, 07:24 AM

As you mentioned, X means to mute the string(s). I'm unaware of the meaning of the parenthesis and I'm wondering if it's just the transposer's way to represent it?

Looking forward to other responses on this one.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:11 AM

I've seen some cases where this indicates that the player can choose whether to mute the string or play the note(s). For instance, on an F chord played at the first fret, there could be (X) indicated on the 6th string first fret and the 5th string third fret. The chord can be played with those two notes/strings included or without (muting the 5th and 6th strings).
Old 07-25-2021, 08:43 AM

Dru, you misunderstood me I think because the transcriber uses both X and (X). PaulVA maybe that's the case but I've enclosed a sample which might help understand it. The brackets alone suggest a ghost note after all. https://ibb.co/r5Z6xB4
Old 07-25-2021, 08:56 AM

My only guess would be that the plain X means skip the string entirely and the that the (X) means a muted string in the middle of a chord (still strummed)
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 07-25-2021, 09:01 AM

Good idea except that the bottom strings are to be strummed and how can you miss out for example the middle of three strings?
Old 07-25-2021, 09:11 AM

The transcriber doesn't know what note it is and wants you to solve for 'x'.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life -- Frank Zappa.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebook View Post
Good idea except that the bottom strings are to be strummed and how can you miss out for example the middle of three strings?
with that particular chord (G) it's quite easy - the finger you're fretting the 6th string with can lean and touch the 5th string.

I'm guessing he's used "(X)" here instead of "X" because it wouldn't matter if the usual 2nd fret on 5th string was played as usual (it's still part of the chord), but also it doesnt matter if the finger fretting the 6th string - or some other finger - happens to mute it, because it's not necessary.

There's another possible meaning. "X" could mean the string is silent (completely muted), while "(X)" could mean you can still hear an indistinct sound from the string, a damped thump of some kind.

The art of strumming guitar is often like this! Strumming is an extremely simple act, but often results in some strings not fully sounding, or sounding at random, quite unintentionally - and it doesn't matter. But when transcribing a strummed rhythm, like here, it tends to look very complicated, as if everything is supposed to be played exactly like that. In fact, the important thing is to see (and hear!) which notes are significant, what the basic chord is, and not worry too much about the less important notes. Strumming is as much about percussive, rhythmic effect as it is about the specific notes sounded.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:57 AM

Thanks JonPr. Very helpful post giving me much to think on especially to consider what is important and what is not. Cheers.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:37 AM

Mystery resolved. The transcriber used X only for what he calls thumb slaps, hitting the bass or fifth string with the side of the thumb. (X) denoted muting a string with a left hand finger but at times he forgot to include the brackets, hence the confusion. Thanks for your help particularly to JonPr for his insight on including only what is important, very helpful in trying to learn the piece.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write