The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-25-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
...I definitely think the bordeaux and wheat is the most attractive of the alternative color schemes...
I'm partial to the '62-63 blonde/oxblood used on the Super-Sonic 22 and ToneMaster Deluxe/Celestion - and if Fender ever made an "amp-that-never-was" '63 Deluxe Reverb with this color scheme, an early-60's aluminum logo, creme barrel knobs, and a Jensen P-12Q I'd grab it in a heartbeat...
Old 07-25-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks To All For Your Kind And Encouraging Comments On This Fender Amp and Gretsch guitar! Your encouragement has got me looking at these Fender Tweed alnico-speaker models:

Fender '57 Custom Champ 1x8" 5-watt Tube Combo Amp

Fender '59 Bassman LTD 4x10" 45-watt Tube Combo Amp

Fender '57 Custom Deluxe 1x12" 12-watt Tube Combo Amp

Let me hear your thoughts on the above three amps and which one would you prefer to buy. Thanks!
Of those three? Bassman .
Old 07-25-2021, 05:27 PM

I have the same amp for my Strat. It gets great tone. Love it. Enjoy yours!
Old 07-25-2021, 07:10 PM

PS- I put mine on the classic Fender tilt back legs, looks cool! Also, you'll find yourself not turning up as loud and you'll hear all those high frequencies your knees don't pick up.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 07-25-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks To All For Your Kind And Encouraging Comments On This Fender Amp and Gretsch guitar! Your encouragement has got me looking at these Fender Tweed alnico-speaker models:

Let me hear your thoughts on the above three amps and which one would you prefer to buy. Thanks!
I am a longtime bluesharp player, and I can tell you that alnico speakers have a different kind of grind and breakup to them. I have owned dozens of vintage amps and I strongly prefer alnico speakers for harp. I also tend to prefer el84's for harp, can't say why. The best harp amp I ever owned was a Kalamazoo model 1 blackface w/a 10" alnico. I owned a real 57 champ and the Kala walked all over it tonewise. Another fine old amp to consider are Alamo. Had a Challenger that was way better than the champ too.

IME, alnico's are sweeter at low volume, crunchier at higher volume and not quite as loud, but do blues awesomely.

When I was playing harp, new tube amps weren't being made and vintage was the only way to go.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-25-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
...Your encouragement has got me looking at these Fender Tweed alnico-speaker models:

Here goes:
  1. Champ: Great for low-volume practice/recording, but if you're the kind of player who uses a lot of dynamics and needs the headroom you're not going to find it here; IME if you want/need a five-watter there's more tonal flexibility to be had, and for less money in many cases - A/B some of the offerings from Vox, Marshall, Blackstar, Supro, or my personal favorite Bugera V5 before you take the plunge on this one...
  2. Deluxe: IMO here's where the real tweed mojo starts happening - clean and midrangey-fat at lower volumes, snarly and edgy when you start pushing it into the tone zone; many players consider a tweed Deluxe the ideal club/studio amp - and with a big orange Gretsch like yours on the business end feel free to channel your inner Neil Young...
  3. Bassman: If there was a Combo Amp Hall of Fame, the tweed Bassman would be unanimously admitted to the first class - big, full, and clear, with enough power and headroom for any situation short of Madison Square Garden. There's an apocryphal story about how when Dhani Harrison wanted to learn how to play guitar, Papa George (whom I understand knew a little something about good electric guitar tone) gave him a Bassman, a Strat, and a cable, and told him not to even think of asking for anything else until he mastered that combination - and the basic circuitry and four-speaker cabinet would be the inspiration for a British music store owner named Jim Marshall to develop his own line of amplifiers in the early-60's. Simply put, if you're going to have only one tweed amp in your collection this is it: while the tweed Twin has its adherents IMO the Twin design didn't come into its own until the '62-63 blonde Twin-Amp (small wonder clean examples sell for $10K+), and if you're into rockabilly a Gretsch and a Bassman will let you rock this town until all the stray cats come home...
That said, there are a number of other combo amps that play well with Gretsch hollowbodies - here's a few I've discovered over the last six decades:

Ampeg: If you grew up in Brooklyn in a certain time (as I did) Gretsch was your hiometown guitar brand, and Ampeg your (almost) hometown amp; very different from the blonde/blackface Fenders that were their main competition - cleaner and more immediate-sounding, and where the big blackface Fenders could get sharp and edgy if you weren't careful, the big Ampegs were smooth and classy-sounding right up to their limits:
  • Rocket R-12A (2x7591 power tubes - IMO the earlier 6V6 and later 7868 versions didn't sound as good)
  • Reverberocket (I'm partial to the front-panel version)
  • Mercury/Big-M (a bit rare outside the Northeast Corridor, and not too common here either)
  • Gemini I/II (the NYC working musicians' amp through the 1960's, and a studio staple)
  • B-12XT (the rare/heavy/expensive Portaflex 2x12" guitar/keyboard amp that earned the nickname "Twin Killer" - if you ever get the chance to play one you'll see why - and very conservatively rated at 60 watts)
  • Reverberocket R-212 (one of the '90's SLM "Diamond Blue" series, vaguely similar in size/appearance to the uber-rare Echo Twin; a dual-channel 2x12" 50-watter, this one can be brought close to B-12XT tone with a tube swap and a pair of Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers)
Fender:
You've already discovered the magic of the Gretsch/Deluxe Reverb combination - here's some of my favorites:
  • Concert (the early-60's successor to the tweed Bassman, this one's a straight-ahead guitar amp; a bit hard to find, IME most often seen in its brown livery - although a few examples were produced into the blackface era)
  • Super Reverb (why this one wasn't called the Concert Reverb - until the '90s version came out - is beyond me; it's my favorite for the big gigs, but at 65 pounds it can be a real bear to wrestle in/out of the car - I'm not getting any younger - and you'll want to turn off the bright switch unless you like the idea of high-frequency tinnitus)
  • Twin-Amp/Twin Reverb (the first Twin-Amp I ever heard was at a schoolyard dance in the summer of 1964 - guy was playing a blonde Gretsch Country Club, and I immediately fell in love with the sound; truth is, if you can't get your guitar to sound good through a blonde/blackface Twin, you need another guitar - another 65-pound monster, but one of the most iconic amps ever produced, and with good reason)
  • Super Champ - 1980's (This Paul Rivera designed 18-watter was a studio players' secret weapon, well ahead of its time in design and execution; the EV speaker versions - also available in a limited edition Mesa Boogie-style wood cabinet - sounded particularly good with Gretsch: fuller than a blackface/silverface Princeton, with more dynamic range - but I've seen clean ones selling in the $1K range)
  • Frontman 212R "blackface" (a near-doppelganger for the '65 Twin RI, this one gets some serious cred among the surf crowd as the "transistor Twin" - and at around $200 for a clean example it's almost a no-brainer in my book; yeah, it's solid-state, but it does very credible Fender blackface cleans - better than the current Champion series IME - can be upgraded with a full-size 'verb tank and a pair of Eminence Cannabis Rex/Swamp Thang speakers for even more Twin-like tone, and if you're so inclined it makes an excellent pedal platform)
Vox:
IME the only British amps that really sound good with Gretsch instruments, the Gretsch/Vox combination was the iconic sound of 1963-66 first-wave Brit Invasion music:
  • AC4 - current (available in a 1x12" version which, to my ears, is far more versatile and useful than many other low-wattage amps - and for less money than most)
  • AC10 - current (think nuclear briefcase - this one's a deceptively powerful and toneful 1x10" available in several configurations, including one with upgraded JJ tubes/Celestion Creamback speaker; if you're an early Beatles fan who doesn't need the added features/power/weight of the AC15/AC30 you need one of these in your collection)
  • AC15C2 - current (a 15-watt 2x12" in an AC30 cabinet, the original was a John Lennon staple in the Cavern Club days - if you need a bigger sound than the 1x12" AC15 can provide without the raw power of the AC30 this might be a good option)
  • AC30S1 (the AC10 preamp mated to the AC30 power section, in a 1x12" cabinet that weighs about 20 pounds less than the 2x12" version; still on the heavy side at 54 pounds, but relatively manageable compared to its Beatle-approved counterparts or the big Fenders, this one's become one of my personal favorites - and if I find myself in a gigging band in the near future it's one that's on my short list)
  • AC30C2X - current (Ed Sullivan Show, February 9, 1964 - 'nuff said)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:14 PM

DR’s are the single greatest amps ever made, IMHO.

If you ever want to maximize CLEAN headroom in your DR, get a Weber 12F150 speaker in the 50 watt/light dope configuration. I had one in my ‘72 SFDR that I gigged with for years and it was fantastic!

Enjoy that beauty!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Here goes:
  1. Champ: Great for low-volume practice/recording, but if you're the kind of player who uses a lot of dynamics and needs the headroom you're not going to find it here; IME if you want/need a five-watter there's more tonal flexibility to be had, and for less money in many cases - A/B some of the offerings from Vox, Marshall, Blackstar, Supro, or my personal favorite Bugera V5 before you take the plunge on this one...
  2. Deluxe: IMO here's where the real tweed mojo starts happening - clean and midrangey-fat at lower volumes, snarly and edgy when you start pushing it into the tone zone; many players consider a tweed Deluxe the ideal club/studio amp - and with a big orange Gretsch like yours on the business end feel free to channel your inner Neil Young...
  3. Bassman: If there was a Combo Amp Hall of Fame, the tweed Bassman would be unanimously admitted to the first class - big, full, and clear, with enough power and headroom for any situation short of Madison Square Garden. There's an apocryphal story about how when Dhani Harrison wanted to learn how to play guitar, Papa George (whom I understand knew a little something about good electric guitar tone) gave him a Bassman, a Strat, and a cable, and told him not to even think of asking for anything else until he mastered that combination - and the basic circuitry and four-speaker cabinet would be the inspiration for a British music store owner named Jim Marshall to develop his own line of amplifiers in the early-60's. Simply put, if you're going to have only one tweed amp in your collection this is it: while the tweed Twin has its adherents IMO the Twin design didn't come into its own until the '62-63 blonde Twin-Amp (small wonder clean examples sell for $10K+), and if you're into rockabilly a Gretsch and a Bassman will let you rock this town until all the stray cats come home...
That said, there are a number of other combo amps that play well with Gretsch hollowbodies - here's a few I've discovered over the last six decades:

Ampeg: If you grew up in Brooklyn in a certain time (as I did) Gretsch was your hiometown guitar brand, and Ampeg your (almost) hometown amp; very different from the blonde/blackface Fenders that were their main competition - cleaner and more immediate-sounding, and where the big blackface Fenders could get sharp and edgy if you weren't careful, the big Ampegs were smooth and classy-sounding right up to their limits:
  • Rocket R-12A (2x7591 power tubes - IMO the earlier 6V6 and later 7868 versions didn't sound as good)
  • Mercury/Big-M (a bit rare outside the Northeast Corridor, and not too common here either)
  • Gemini I/II (the NYC working musicians' amp through the 1960's, and a studio staple)
  • B-12XT (the rare/heavy/expensive Portaflex 2x12" guitar/keyboard amp that earned the nickname "Twin Killer" - if you ever get the chance to play one you'll see why - and very conservatively rated at 60 watts)
  • Reverberocket R-212 (one of the '90's SLM "Diamond Blue" series, vaguely similar in size/appearance to the uber-rare Echo Twin; a dual-channel 2x12" 50-watter, this one can be brought close to B-12XT tone with a tube swap and a pair of Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers)
Fender:
You've already discovered the magic of the Gretsch/Deluxe Reverb combination - here's some of my favorites:
  • Concert (the early-60's successor to the tweed Bassman, this one's a straight-ahead guitar amp; a bit hard to find, IME most often seen in its brown livery - although a few examples were produced into the blackface era)
  • Super Reverb (why this one wasn't called the Concert Reverb - until the '90s version came out - is beyond me; it's my favorite for the big gigs, but at 65 pounds it can be a real bear to wrestle in/out of the car - I'm not getting any younger - and you'll want to turn off the bright switch unless you like the idea of high-frequency tinnitus)
  • Twin-Amp/Twin Reverb (the first Twin-Amp I ever heard was at a schoolyard dance in the summer of 1964 - guy was playing a blonde Gretsch Country Club, and I immediately fell in love with the sound; truth is, if you can't get your guitar to sound good through a blonde/blackface Twin, you need another guitar - another 65-pound monster, but one of the most iconic amps ever produced, and with good reason)
  • Super Champ - 1980's (This Paul Rivera designed 18-watter was a studio players' secret weapon, well ahead of its time in design and execution; the EV speaker versions - also available in a limited edition Mesa Boogie-style wood cabinet - sounded particularly good with Gretsch: fuller than a blackface/silverface Princeton, with more dynamic range - but I've seen clean ones selling in the $1K range)
  • Frontman 212R "blackface" (a near-doppelganger for the '65 Twin RI, this one gets some serious cred among the surf crowd as the "transistor Twin" - and at around $200 for a clean example it's almost a no-brainer in my book; yeah, it's solid-state, but it does very credible Fender blackface cleans - better than the current Champion series IME - can be upgraded with a full-size 'verb tank and a pair of Eminence Cannabis Rex/Swamp Thang speakers for even more Twin-like tone, and if you're so inclined it makes an excellent pedal platform)
Vox:
IME the only British amps that really sound good with Gretsch instruments, the Gretsch/Vox combination was the iconic sound of 1963-66 first-wave Brit Invasion music:
  • AC4 - current (available in a 1x12" version which, to my ears, is far more versatile and useful than many other low-wattage amps - and for less money than most)
  • AC10 - current (think nuclear briefcase - this one's a deceptively powerful and toneful 1x10" available in several configurations, including one with upgraded JJ tubes/Celestion Creamback speaker; if you're an early Beatles fan who doesn't need the added features/power/weight of the AC15/AC30 you need one of these in your collection)
  • AC15C2 - current (a 15-watt 2x12" in an AC30 cabinet, the original was a John Lennon staple in the Cavern Club days - if you need a bigger sound than the 1x12" AC15 can provide without the raw power of the AC30 this might be a good option)
  • AC30S1 (the AC10 preamp mated to the AC30 power section, in a 1x12" cabinet that weighs about 20 pounds less than the 2x12" version; still on the heavy side at 54 pounds, but relatively manageable compared to its Beatle-approved counterparts or the big Fenders, this one's become one of my personal favorites - and if I find myself in a gigging band in the near future it's one that's on my short list)
Another DeRosa gem for me to save to a folder for later use. Thanks for taking the time!
Old 07-26-2021, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Here goes:

Fender:
Vox:
Thanks, Steve, for this in-depth, informative comment! This will be invaluable in making my next amp decision.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-27-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Now that I've been bitten by a renewed interest in electric guitars and gear, I've ordered and just received my new Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb 1x12" 22-watt Tube Combo Amp - Wine Red Sweetwater Exclusive on Thursday and I'm auditioning it today, Saturday, for the first time. This amp is a Sweetwater custom edition that sports a Jensen P12Q Alnico speaker, wine red Tolex, and a wheat-colored grille versus the straight-ahead Fender rendition that is equipped with a Jensen C-12K Ceramic speaker, and the traditional Fender black Tolex and silver-colored grille. Due to lower costs because of upfront greater order volume, the Sweetwater edition is also $100 less in cost than the regular Fender amp. The Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb 1x12" 22-watt Tube Combo Amp - Wine Red Sweetwater Exclusive checked all the boxes for me for a Made In America Blackface Fender amp, especially with its alnico speaker.

Along with its straight, effect-free channel, the Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb has a Reverb and Vibrato channel the effects of which can be turned On/Off by the provided footswitch. The reverb is the delicious Fender long-spring-tank unit. Both the reverb and vibrato are tube-driven and have the lusciousness of those valves working their magic! The two output tubes are the venerable 6V6 hot bottles with the tube rectifier being a 5AR4, the combination of which should yield a nice brown-tone sag if you want to open up the amp's output to its full 22 watts, which I haven't done yet. My first impression of this amp is: I Like It & It's A Keeper! More to come ...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ition-wine-red

I have that exact same guitar and a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb. Love them both.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:55 PM

Congrats on a great amp!

My go to amp is my all time favourite regular 65 Deluxe Reverb (reissue). At the theatre where I work visiting artists are always asking to borrow the one we have there. It’s a classic for good reason!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-31-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Folks!

Let me say that the Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb with its 12" Jensen P-12Q Alnico speaker breaks up pretty quickly for some delicious grind. Swapping out this rather inefficient Alnico speaker for the 12" Jensen C-12K Ceramic speaker will add a much cleaner tone at a louder volume before breakup than the Alnico. Thus, the amp's application would inform a user which speaker to have in this amp or which version of the amp to initially order: Alnico speaker or Ceramic speaker equipped.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-02-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Folks!

Let me say that the Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb with its 12" Jensen P-12Q Alnico speaker breaks up pretty quickly for some delicious grind. Swapping out this rather inefficient Alnico speaker for the 12" Jensen C-12K Ceramic speaker will add a much cleaner tone at a louder volume before breakup than the Alnico. Thus, the amp's application would inform a user which speaker to have in this amp or which version of the amp to initially order: Alnico speaker or Ceramic speaker equipped.
If you're going to swap that speaker forget the Jensen C-12K and go with a Alessandro Eminence GA SC64. https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...xoCltMQAvD_BwE

I own a real 1964 and my buddy owns 2 1965 Deluxe Reverbs and we have tried the C12K, and the Alessandro flat out walks it (I like it better than any current Jensen speaker, alnico or ceramic). Of our many years of trying different speakers in Deluxe Reverbs, it is the best we've heard. And bonus, it's not even expensive! Up until then, we had Weber 12A150s, as posted above, in our amps, and that was a good speaker too, but the Eminence is better, and it is now in all three of of vintage amps!

Here's my 1964 Deluxe Reverb. And it is my favorite amp for my Gretsch 6120!

Old 08-02-2021, 08:43 AM

Very nice. I've seen that wine-red color on some other amps in the past, and I always thought it looked great. There are so many nice amps around now; I wish I needed one! I already have several nice amps that I'm completely happy with, but GAS is never too far away, trying to wear me down.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
If you're going to swap that speaker forget the Jensen C-12K and go with a Alessandro Eminence GA SC64. https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...xoCltMQAvD_BwE

I own a real 1964 and my buddy owns 2 1965 Deluxe Reverbs and we have tried the C12K, and the Alessandro flat out walks it (I like it better than any current Jensen speaker, alnico or ceramic). Of our many years of trying different speakers in Deluxe Reverbs, it is the best we've heard. And bonus, it's not even expensive! Up until then, we had Weber 12A150s, as posted above, in our amps, and that was a good speaker too, but the Eminence is better, and it is now in all three of of vintage amps!

Here's my 1964 Deluxe Reverb. And it is my favorite amp for my Gretsch 6120!

Thanks, Rockabilly, for this great information! I mainly play at home so I'll leave the Jensen P-12Q Alnico in the '65 Deluxe Reverb but it's good to know the Alessandro Eminence is out there.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars