The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Gruhn's special ordered some Martin 0000-15 models.

I've long said the 000-15 is the best thing you can spend your money on. This may have taken that to just a slightly awesomer level with the bigger 0000 body (not deeper, just wider bouts) - it would retain the charm and character of all hog, the great simple satin finish, the thin/comfy body, but maybe a little more oomph from a little bigger body? Not sure the extra $500 is justifiable as a buyer, but cool nonetheless in its idea.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I'd like to try one, but I'm surprised that they don't offer it with 1 3/4 nut width.

https://guitars.com/inventory/new-ma...le-0000-size-5
Old 07-22-2021, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Wow, what a cool design...I've got a CS all hog 000 that's a lifer. Would love to hear a 0000 all mahogany one day. Congrats.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I'd like to try one, but I'm surprised that they don't offer it with 1 3/4 nut width.

https://guitars.com/inventory/new-ma...le-0000-size-5
Well, they are using standard 15 series specs, so that would keep the narrower nut so they can use the exact same neck at they do on the 00, 000 and D.

Conversely, LA Guitar sales makes a ton of 15 series customs where the only option changed is the 1 3/4 nuts.

Seems like a wider nut would have added another $XXX, too, if i can extrapolate from other 15 series customs I've seen and for as much as I love the 15 series, the customs are just so expensive they kinda loose their desirability to me. Getting awful close to lots of other stuff that are just more for the money. The 15 series is such a good value at the sub $1500 price point...kinda seems lacking when you get up toward $2k.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'd like to try one, but I'm surprised that they don't offer it with 1 3/4" nut width...
I'm surprised they haven't made it a part of the regular lineup, after they shot themselves in the foot when they discontinued the J-15/J12-15 - and I wouldn't change a thing...
Old 07-22-2021, 09:49 AM

The lack of binding, narrow bridge spacing, and 1 11/16" nut on the 15-series are all a real bummer to me. I'm surprised that Gruhn's kept all of these specs on this batch of customs.

I know I can't be the only person who feels this way, because LA Guitar Sales regularly stocks a line of custom 15s that address all of those things.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

A change of body size would still keep it within the CS minimum upcharge, which I think is now $500, so I think you could probably also change the nut width and still be in that price range. Now remember, for a custom order of a 15 series, you have a 10 guitar minimum. So I think Gruhn could have gotten 5 at 1 11/16 and 5 at 1 3/4.

Right now I don't know what's going on with prices, but we've always been able to get a substantial discount on CS orders. When I ordered my J-17 Whiskey Sunset through Maury, before we upgraded it to Honduran mahogany back, sides and neck, it was just about the same price as ordering any other 17 series from GC. The upgrade raised the price, but it's still got to be one of the least expensive custom shop orders ever.

Had they decided to make that guitar a J-15, I'd be ordering one right now!
Old 07-22-2021, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

If I had the luxury of spare funds... I would be all over that. I love the 0000 size/shape. And I love the 15 series.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Conversely, LA Guitar sales makes a ton of 15 series customs where the only option changed is the 1 3/4 nuts.
They also widen the spacing at the bridge to 2 1/4"...

-Ray
Old 07-22-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
The lack of binding, narrow bridge spacing, and 1 11/16" nut on the 15-series are all a real bummer to me. I'm surprised that Gruhn's kept all of these specs on this batch of customs...
Actually, I'd be surprised if they didn't - all of those are historically correct for the 15-Series dating back to 1939, Gruhn's is more vintage-oriented, and there are other dealers like LA Guitars who carry custom-spec 15-Series guitars...

Quote:
...Had they decided to make that guitar a J-15, I'd be ordering one right now!
You and me both, in my case as a match for my J12-15...
Old 07-22-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Gruhn did 0000-15Ms a few years ago - about 5?

They are the ONLY place I know that has ever done them.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A change of body size would still keep it within the CS minimum upcharge, which I think is now $500, so I think you could probably also change the nut width and still be in that price range. Now remember, for a custom order of a 15 series, you have a 10 guitar minimum. So I think Gruhn could have gotten 5 at 1 11/16 and 5 at 1 3/4.

Right now I don't know what's going on with prices, but we've always been able to get a substantial discount on CS orders. When I ordered my J-17 Whiskey Sunset through Maury, before we upgraded it to Honduran mahogany back, sides and neck, it was just about the same price as ordering any other 17 series from GC. The upgrade raised the price, but it's still got to be one of the least expensive custom shop orders ever.

Had they decided to make that guitar a J-15, I'd be ordering one right now!
The days of the huge discounts on special orders are behind us, they may come back some day, but don't hold your breath.

I think Martin is a little case-by-case with the customs minimum, but when they imposed that on things under the 18 series, they told some dealers it was 20-25 piece minimum.

I would think that the 1 3/4 would be additional charge to the body size since that would mean neither the body nor the neck from the standard 15 series could be used.

I happen to like that 1 11/16 and the string spacing, so I am on board with this thing spec-wise as is, just hard to justify $1800 for a 15 series when my first one 20 years ago was $800 new and every bit as good if not better than the ones today.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion