The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Long Post - Lessons From Solo Gig Last Night

Perhaps I’m obsessive, but I had a lot to think about and learn from a solo acoustic (guitar/vocal) gig last night. I also had a 2+-hour drive home to ruminate on it all.

I have mostly played with a band for the past 15 years, and only recently have been trying to book more solo acoustic shows, because I like the challenge. I played solo for a long time when I was in college and through my 20s but was concentrating on original music. In my mid-30s, I shifted to playing in cover bands, because it afforded me more opportunities to gig, allowed me to play electric guitar, and (at that time) had some money in it.

Anyway, playing in a band has allowed me to develop many aspects of my playing, but when I go out and must “carry” everything myself, I notice where I have shortcomings in my playing. Most noticeably for me, the flatpick vs. thumbpick and fingers thing is a challenge. Lately I have been trying to transition to a thumbpick and fingers. On songs with “traditional” fingerpicking parts, it is not a huge issue. However, there are songs where I would ordinarily just default to a flatpick that I have tried to transition to a somewhat hybrid approach. The counterpoint of a thumbpick and my fingers (or hybrid picking with a flatpick at times) makes me think more like a piano player, trying to have a “left and right” hand creating more motion under the vocal. I can’t really find a lot of examples of what I’m talking about. Maybe Nils Lofgren comes closest. Often, I’m kind of trying to have some sort of bass line with the thumb, while the fingers serve to strum and play fills here and there. It’s not unlike James Taylor at times. It works well on JT arrangements. Trying to apply it to other songs is a challenge. Trying to do it on a gig is even harder for me. You know how much harder it is to nail a part on a gig than it is at home. I feel like that is compounded when you are playing solo. I could just default to a flatpick, because my general meter is better with one and it’s more comfortable. However, the more I try this other approach, the more a flatpick can seem inelegant as a solution to me. All of that comes down to “practice more.” I realize that, but like everyone…life, day job, my band, all pretty much eat up my available practice time. So I have to go out and “wing it” in public. That’s what I had to do last night for 3 hours and I felt very exposed at times.

Another thing I noticed was the contrast of how I play with a band does not necessarily apply when I play solo. When I’m playing electric in a band (I play and sing in a covers trio – so it’s a constant multi-tasking gig), I’m constantly adjusting little things to make parts work. Volume knob up or down on the guitar, a little gain from a pedal, add a delay, tap the tempo, add a modulation effect, hit a boost to make a guitar fill stand out, stack the right pedals for a solo then turn them all off, sing a harmony part, double a chorus, sing a lead vocal, etc. etc. When I’m playing solo acoustic, yes, I could set up an elaborate pedalboard (I haven’t yet), but I’m kind of faced with trying to make little adjustments with only my hands and voice. Maybe my guitar volume is not loud enough for a fingerpicked part, so I have to play harder. Maybe I turned up the guitar between songs and now I’ve switched to a flatpicked strummed song…oops…play more gently with my right hand. Maybe I had a thumbpick on and just started playing a song that I’ve never used a thumbpick for…oops…adjust on the fly, no time like the present to learn new things. You can’t stop once you’ve started a song. I also abhor dead air on a gig and tend to go from one song to the next as often as possible.

Then, there is the whole aspect of playing amplified and how foreign it can feel and how it changes in each room or outside (as I was last night). I will leave that for a separate post, however, as it is another topic I have a lot of thoughts about and I’ve definitely gone on long enough.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I have a lot of work to do to be able to do this as well as I’d like to. I have a ton of respect for folks out there who make it work just playing solo. It is hard.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Giving this a bump for you, Steve.

I have a couple of unschooled thoughts

1. Your JT stuff is spot on.

2. Nils Lofgren, yes, one of may faves, too. Pretty complex style, but he also does a lot of strumming in his acoustic shows.

3. After watching a lot of your videos I'm not feeling a need for more complex arrangements on most of the tunes. 90 per cent of your audience doesn't know the difference between fingerpicking and flatpicking

4. Check out some of the videos posted in show and tell by noledog over the years. He does a solo acoustic show. He once mentioned that he typically finger picks at home but uses a flat pick on gigs.

5. Vocals are great and that is what people are coming to hear. Not sure the audience is going to appreciate a more complex arrangement on "No Woman, No Cry" or "Alison".

Nice work, hope that helps!
Old 07-21-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, Bob. Your points are well-taken. It is easy to overthink things.

I did look up some of Noledog's videos. Impressive. He certainly gigs a lot and has his whole thing very together. If I wandered into any of his gigs, I would sit down and stay, which is the goal, after all.

Nice version of "Long May You Run" on your YouTube channel, too, by the way. I also like the Dead covers, but we know that already, ha.

Best,
Fletch
Old 07-22-2021, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Hey Fletch, you probably know about this album but if not it may give you some ideas....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6k...kSdbOdwmRL8bxw

Thanks for the kind words
Old 07-24-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGFletch View Post
Then, there is the whole aspect of playing amplified and how foreign it can feel and how it changes in each room or outside (as I was last night). I will leave that for a separate post, however, as it is another topic I have a lot of thoughts about and I’ve definitely gone on long enough.
Interesting point. One of the things that makes performance more challenging on acoustic than electric is that there's usually no fundamental difference between the sound I'm making when practicing on electric vs. the sound I'm making at a gig. Maybe I'm using a smaller amp, fewer/less complicated effects, etc., but basically, it's the same sound, so when I start playing at the gig, I'm on more or less familiar ground. With acoustic, unless I'm practicing through an amp (which I don't, usually--but maybe I should), the gig sound is quite different, in a way that can be disorienting and can affect my confidence/comfort level as I'm playing. There's a skill involved in working through that and finding your zone, so to speak.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 07-25-2021, 07:07 AM

Wow! I enjoy a deep thinker- over analyzing? Maybe- but, if that's what drives you git-r-done-

I can't imagine playing straight for 3 hours! H o l y C o w!

I've never gigged and the only show I've ever put on is at home for my cat and myself - I recently took my electric to my sons place because they had never heard it- I used a fishman mini loud box that sounds great in my apt and sucked at this house- so I can understand the quandry there, especially on the fly as it were- 3 hours H O L Y C O W!!!!

I think another poster said it well- an audience isn't focused on the playing ability when you sing so they won't notice a difference (mistake) one way or the other- if you're having a good time, I bet they will too- if you're stressing I bet they'll notice it because you won't sing as well- this is coming from a discerning ear, btw- of course listening to me sing or play might make that a hard to believe statement-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write