The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-19-2021, 02:48 PM

I have some nut files now but for 20 plus years all I ever used was hardware store needle files. Probably a $15 dollar 'investment.' That's all you really need and has been used by luthiers since the beginning of time.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

In the far past have had some luck with a fine rat tail file. Advantage not much chance of string binding in the nut but the way you have to hold the file while the nut is still on the neck leave very limited room for strokes without gouging something. Many years back brought a nut slot file set from Stewmac.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-19-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I have some nut files now but for 20 plus years all I ever used was hardware store needle files. Probably a $15 dollar 'investment.' That's all you really need and has been used by luthiers since the beginning of time.
I agree with that. Used to set up five a day in a small-production environment, and used with any care, needle files are just fine.
Maybe the fancy ones I have now are "better", but it's really just more stuff..

you can soak 'em in vinegar to keep them cutting, too.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Ditto.

If you want the latest trends, use gauged saws, which cut much faster, and diamond nut files. The saws won't really cut widths different than the kerf of the saw, however, while files can be rocked to increase the width of the slot.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
I agree with that. Used to set up five a day in a small-production environment, and used with any care, needle files are just fine.
Maybe the fancy ones I have now are "better", but it's really just more stuff..

you can soak 'em in vinegar to keep them cutting, too.
I have one that is pretty clogged up at the moment I think becasue I may have gotten CA in there but not sure. Is that the trick to keeping files sharp though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Ditto.

If you want the latest trends, use gauged saws, which cut much faster, and diamond nut files. The saws won't really cut widths different than the kerf of the saw, however, while files can be rocked to increase the width of the slot.
Do you find it necessary to use a file after the saw to clean up a jagged edge or are the saws good through and through?

Faster is definitely more appealing.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=redir;6767834]I have one that is pretty clogged up at the moment I think becasue I may have gotten CA in there but not sure. Is that the trick to keeping files sharp though?

If you got CA on it you'll likely need to first soak it in acetone. If not, hit it with
a brass-bristle brush, then the vinegar soak; after that, a bit of baking soda solution to neutralize it (not sure the last part is necessary, but I do it.)
This works until the file is really on its last legs..
Old 07-19-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Do you find it necessary to use a file after the saw to clean up a jagged edge or are the saws good through and through?
I don't, no. Prior to using gauged nut saws, for a few decades I used an X-Acto knife handle with an X-Acto back/slitting saw blade, about $10. Its kerf was perfect for first and second strings. I still use it for roughing in fret slots and general cutting of nut and saddle materials.

Saws leave a more-or-less flat-bottomed kerf/fret slot. I've not found any disadvantage to that vs. a round or V-bottomed slot. Others have different opinions and preferences.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:03 PM

Never mind, not worth it.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I don't, no. Prior to using gauged nut saws, for a few decades I used an X-Acto knife handle with an X-Acto back/slitting saw blade, about $10. Its kerf was perfect for first and second strings. I still use it for roughing in fret slots and general cutting of nut and saddle materials.

Saws leave a more-or-less flat-bottomed kerf/fret slot. I've not found any disadvantage to that vs. a round or V-bottomed slot. Others have different opinions and preferences.
Good to know, thanks. I always mark out with an X-Acto saw too.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:30 AM

I have these shots of "nut slot depth setting" using sandpaper folded over a fine tooth back saw. This actually works well, and 220 paper folded in half works well for the unwound strings.

Using a "half pencil" to mark slot absolute depth:

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-25-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:21 PM

Not everyone has these, but I use the butt end of string sized drills in a pin vise to adjust the heights of slots.

On new nuts, I drill the slots before sizing the height of the nut. This isn't the fastest method, but I like the accurately formed bottom radius.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
SRL wrote:
"These are the wrong tools for the job..."

A set of precisely sized files will certainly make the job go quicker. OTOH, "it's a poor workman who blames his tools". It takes a bit of effort to make a set of saws from feeler gauges, but if you round off the edges before cutting the teeth the result will be just the same as the files will produce; in what way is that the 'wrong tool'? If you have the skill to shape the slots right, what does it matter which tool you use?
Hear, here..

Fancy is not needed.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:06 AM

Default needle files & razor saws - - - my opinions

Long conversation, cut to short solutions.

Three bucks for a set of needle files and see whether anything more is needed to get the job done.

X-acto 'razor' saws are inexpensive and readily available, as are Zona saws. These saws come in varying thicknesses and tooth direction (some are 'push' saws, others are 'draw' saws). They all have reinforced backs to help them cut true.

Saws made from feeler gauges are unbacked and bendy unless someone's taken the extra step to reinforce them.

'Luthier' nut files are nice , but are they expensive!
Old 08-15-2021, 08:59 AM

I use a thin X-Acto saw to start the nut slots to a rough depth, and then finish with the feeler gauges and other tools. It keeps things pretty well in alignment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair