The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-03-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
If you’re going with a strat style tremolo the modern 2 point tremolo is superior to the vintage 6 hole imho……smoother action and better stability based on my experiences…but if you’re looking for wider spacing the vintage 6 hole is the way to go…plus they’re less expensive….going with a Callaham might be a worthy upgrade…

http://www.callahamguitars.com/strat...ge_catalog.htm

Thanks. I think sticking with a Jazzmaster trem may be the way to go - it gives me the wide spacing, and sounds like it should be more stable than the vintage strat trem. But is the alignment of the pole pieces with the strings, given the wide spacing, going to be a problem?
Old 07-29-2021, 10:11 AM

Last year I built a Warmoth “Strat” with their 1.75 nut. I went with traditional Strat (SSS). I used Wilde Alnico Microcoils. They sound like you’d expect Strat pick ups to sound like, but are VERY wide range. Very clean, open sound, with great dynamics, and while not noiseless, are extremely quiet. They are the last pickup design that Bill Lawrence did. Only sold in sets, but inexpensive enough that you could use one of his HB in the bridge, and still spend less than Fralin or Lollar (both of whom make great Strat pups). You should look into his designs.

Also, if you have the choice, go with SS frets!
Old 07-29-2021, 12:05 PM

Last year I built a Warmoth “Strat” with their 1.75 nut. I went with traditional Strat (SSS). I used Wilde Alnico Microcoils. They sound like you’d expect Strat pick ups to sound like, but are VERY wide range. Very clean, open sound, with great dynamics, and while not noiseless, are extremely quiet. They are the last pickup design that Bill Lawrence did. Only sold in sets, but inexpensive enough that you could use one of his HB in the bridge, and still spend less than Fralin or Lollar (both of whom make great Strat pups). You should look into his designs.

Also, if you have the choice, go with SS frets!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars