The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumming View Post
I'm looking for my next fingerstyle guitar for my studio. An example of the general tone I'm trying to achieve is Don Alder's tone. This song is a good example of the recorded tone I'm looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpwdaQuJgs

I'm not trying to be our sound like Don Alder, I'm only using this recording as a benchmark example. This appears to be a modern fingerstyle guitar tone but there are so many great builders today. I found an Eichelbaum Concert guitar that I'm considering. Anyone familiar with this guitar and whether it would provide this kind of tone?
I happened to have a quick chat with Don about his sound on this. He says he's using his Mustapick fan fret bari, with the Duncan Magmic, set to a "bit" of mic, as well as the DTAR Wavelength pickup with its internal mic, then combined with a Neumann TL103 and a "small condenser", so it sounds like he was using spaced pairs. So a typical stereo recording, but with the two pickups + 2 internal mics added in. Tuning is "DADGAD", but down lower for the baritone. So the big bass seems to be a combination of the baritone guitar and the magnetic pickup

He says he "added some reverb", using whatever was in either protools or Studio One, not sure which he used. He says he thinks he added the reverb to the Magmic track, and that perhaps some of the modulation I'm hearing is from phase interaction between the various sources. That seems possible - all those pickups are going to have different attacks and envelopes.

Anyway, as far as finding a guitar that gets this sound, I'm not sure brand has a lot to do with it. Baritone is important here, and recording with a combination of pickups (include a mag) and mics.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:59 AM

For a modern fingerstyle guitar, I might take a look at the new Ibanez Jon Gomm signature models.

He is usuallly labeled a "percussive" player. The Ibanez Jon Gomm guitar has slightly longer scale and a mix of different pickups, and gets a big sound, especially through a suitable set of effects.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 08-06-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Skipping discussion of effects, etc. the most modern-sounding acoustic I've played are the new Taylor's with V-class bracing, especially through the ES2 pickup system.
I agree. The new 814ce with V Class is great for finger picking with a beautiful sparkle and richness to the sound. Playability of Taylor guitars are also among the best for fingerpickers.

I would also consider Lowden’s S or F shape. Very characteristic tone, but incredible guitars.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:44 AM

To me the sound on the video is very reminiscent of the sound Adrian Legg got from his adamus put throught the old zoom 9002 effects.. including chorus and reverb of course.
Nick
Old 08-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

If I were looking for an upper end acoustic for fingerstyle, I'd be going to Mighty Fine Guitars in Lafayette, Ca. A lot of luthier built fare there.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-06-2021, 04:26 PM

I think a Cedar/Rosewood or Alpine/Cocobolo Furch could get you really close to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDy1G90mW-0

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion