The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Default Help Configure Me (Solstice/Unico)

I am have using a passive K&K pure western minis + mic combo going to a DTAR Solstice for blending and I am desiring to use a new Schertler Unico as a monitor on stage while taking advantage of the spring reverb and then going to the house PA. Anyone know the best way to do this?
Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Did you get a owners manual??
Blackbird: Savoy
RainSong: CH-OM, CH-WS
Journey: OF660
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-18-2009, 05:03 PM

yesss.....but there are many options, not so clear as to which one is best...different outputs on the Solstice as well....anyone?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Are you coming out of he Solstice with one or 2 seperate signals??
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Hi McFan...
I suggest keeping the amp behind you and either angle it up toward your head or elevate it till you can hear it easily.

Not sure why so many of we players do the disservice of either putting a monitor directly in front of the guitar (thereby assuring optimum feedback conditions) or on the floor so we have to turn it up really loud to hear it raising the stage volume and inviting everyone else to make more noise too.

I actually work some very loud stages with my amp(s) behind me - waist level when standing, and about shoulder level when sitting 3-5 feet behind me depending on the venue. I never have a problem hearing my amp at a moderate volume & rarely have feedback issues...

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Are you coming out of he Solstice with one or 2 seperate signals??
McKnight Fan,
I am guessing you have the connection from your guitar to the Solstice figured out right? If not, it looks like, based on the Sostice manual that you can use a stereo cable from your guitar to the channel 1 High Input Impedance Jack. Is your K&K on the tip and the mic on the ring? If so, this will send your K&K to channel 1 and the mic signal to channel 2. The manual also says that if you engage the phantom power it will send 15v to the ring if you mic needs phantom.

Then kramsters question is the key. If you want to do your blending with the Solstice and send a blended signal to the Unico you could use an XLR cable to come out of the the Balanced Output and into the Dyn channel on the Unico. That would probably be your best bet.

The Balanced Out on the Solstice is independent of the Master Volume. That is good. That is one less level you have to worry about. Just get your gain on the Dyn channel set correctly, turn up the volume and you should be set to go. You could leave the EQ on the amp flat and do all your EQing on the Solstice. Or if you use the Solstice through different amps, systems, etc and you already have it EQ'd the way you like it, you could adjust the EQ on the Unico. Lots of options.

As for going from the Unico to the PA, the DI out on the Unico is the best way to go. This signal is independent of the Master Volume on the Unico. That will allow you to turn your amp up or down as needed for your monitor without changing the level of the signal your sending to the house system.

That is the way I would route things. Then, as Larry suggested, there are many ways to set your Unico up as a monitor. I've used mine behind me on a speaker stand.

Hope that helps a bit.

Matt

Last edited by open-road-matt; 05-18-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Nice post o-r-matt... it is like you know stuff.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Hi McFan...
To expand on what's been shared, you can use a TRS (stereo 1/4'' cable) on whichever channel you choose - one or two and it activated both channels - the mic will be controlled by the volume control next to the jack you plug it into (after you switch the phantom power on).

I run into the bottom jack (Channel two) and the mic is then configured via the bottom dials, and the pickup on top set. I run the output to my amp via 1/4'' mono out of the ''Output'' jack on the back. If I need an XLR out, we use the ''Balanced Out'' XLR socket beneath the 1/4''. Both can be used at the same time...which means you could take the 1/4'' out to a stage amp and the XLR to a snake (to feed the house).

Hope this helps...

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-18-2009, 10:49 PM

Default Thanks!

Ok....got at least the best total unit use and I am assuming it will be an easy DI out for PA usage. I have been using a stereo cable into channel 1 and using the second channel for the mic as LJ said. I used the balanced output into the DYN and it sounds great! I have to use the low cut and notch just a bit...I used the 20db cut on the Solstice and that really cleaned up the sound...so I assume I will just use the DI out and will be good to go. Anyone know where I can get a tilt stand?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKnight Fan View Post
Anyone know where I can get a tilt stand?
There are many different amp stands. Here are a few:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c628--Guitar_Amp_Stands

I've never used any of these. Hopefully someone can personally recommend one.

Schertler makes a cool little kickstand for the Unico:

http://stores.soundislandmusic.com/-...nd,/Detail.bok

That is pretty slick and very portable. The downside is that it puts the amp down on the ground so it can be a pain to make adjustments. You could just put it on a speaker stand.

Matt
Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 AM
I miss the USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi McFan...
To expand on what's been shared, you can use a TRS (stereo 1/4'' cable) on whichever channel you choose - one or two and it activated both channels - the mic will be controlled by the volume control next to the jack you plug it into (after you switch the phantom power on).

I run into the bottom jack (Channel two) and the mic is then configured via the bottom dials, and the pickup on top set. I run the output to my amp via 1/4'' mono out of the ''Output'' jack on the back. If I need an XLR out, we use the ''Balanced Out'' XLR socket beneath the 1/4''. Both can be used at the same time...which means you could take the 1/4'' out to a stage amp and the XLR to a snake (to feed the house).

Hope this helps...
the solstice manual says the ring channel (isnt' that the mic on the K&K?) will be routed to the unoccupied opp channel?
Headway Audio EDB-1 Preamp
Countryman Type85

Past:
Alvarez MF80C (was sad to see this one go...)
K&K XLR preamp
K&K powermix trinity
Zaolla
Baggs PADI
Stillwater acoustic amp

Future:
1940s D45
Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Also on a stand make sure it is an adjustable width or narrow enough as the Unico is a bit wee.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Red face Thanks!

Thanks all! You have all been very helpful!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
the solstice manual says the ring channel (isnt' that the mic on the K&K?) will be routed to the unoccupied opp channel?
Hi Hann...
I'll check it again Thur at the gig and report back.

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification