The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-02-2021, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default The next time I record something

I'm going to breath a few times through my noise at the start of the recording. Then, if my "breath control" breaks down and I breath over a note, maybe I'll have a good sample for noise removal.

I should experiment with this. Has anyone tried this?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Don't remember hearing obtrusive breathing in your recordings. For a minor breath sound just leave it. Unless
you are a heavy breather most breath noise can be avoided by microphone positioning at recording time.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-02-2021, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Don't remember hearing obtrusive breathing in your recordings. For a minor breath sound just leave it. Unless
you are a heavy breather most breath noise can be avoided by microphone positioning at recording time.
This has been my experience, too. You might want to consider some experimentation on how to get your microphones further away from your face.

- Glenn
Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I don't think the sample approach will work well - tho always worth a try. But the spectral noise removal works best for continuous noise, like air-conditioning. If you try it with breathing, you'll be removing various frequencies when they're not there. I'd not worry about it, you hear breathing on lots of recordings - tells us there's a human making the music. If you take an obvious breath in an empty space and it bothers you, that's easy to remove. Not quite as effective when there's music going on.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Unless you are a heavy breather most breath noise can be avoided by microphone positioning at recording time.
I seem to recall past posts where he said he's doing that ...but maybe it was someone else. It gets confusing around here sometimes.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-03-2021, 10:12 AM

I think most professional guitarists continue to breathe during performances.
On the other hand, Darth Vader was unsuccessful with his solo guitar work.

Seriously, I don't mind a bit of string squeak noise either. Either's not that big a detriment if it doesn't overwhelm the intended music. Not guitar, some of my piano virtual instruments have a setting for pedal noise and the like, and for sparse low volume piano parts I like to turn that on. Yes, it's a trick, but it makes the result sound "real."

And continuing on with piano music and pianists, if breathing etc leaking into the mic bothers you avoid Glen Gould and Keith Jarrett recordings.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-04-2021, 07:38 AM

Breathe through your mouth?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-04-2021, 07:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've been known to hyperoxyginate before a take to cut down on breath noise.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:38 AM

We all have a stack of Covid masks... Why not throw one on before tracking?

Unless, of course, you're recording a live performance!
Old 08-04-2021, 10:32 AM

I occasionally make a funny noise or two to help a note get into the right place. Have to work on that.

D.H.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:12 AM

Hyperoxygenate ahead of time, relax, and breathe through your mouth. This should solve your issues.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:54 AM

As others have said, it's a longshot on working well. I've known players that would wear a face mask during sessions to remind them to breathe slow and easy while the red light was on.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:25 PM

This is kind of a longshot idea: put a second (or third) microphone right in front of your face, positioned where it will get lots of breath noise and very little else. Then, at mix time, flip the polarity on your “face mic” and bring it up until you hear the breath noises get quieter. It’s a longshot idea because the phase cancellation between the two tracks is not going to be anywhere near perfect. And even if you get enough cancellation to make a difference, you may lose as much in guitar tone as you gain in breath suppression. But it might be worth a try if nothing else works.

Alternatively, just learn to love the audible evidence that your guitar wasn’t played by a robot.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 08-18-2021, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Exercise Before Recording Barry

Aloha Barry,

One of the things I noticed over the years, was that I had fewer nasal noise issues in my recordings when I exercised before recording. Who cares why, it just worked for me, like spraying Afrin Green did too. So I agree with Mr. Rick Shepherd RE: hyper-oxygenating first before you record - (Howzit, Rick?!?)

Like you, once I got into DAW recording, my home recording took place whenever I wanted, & not on a studio's schedule. And my projects at that point were all non-commercial & not for release, just for sharing with friends. So my schedule for recording was self-determined. I could plan where & when I did it, & how I prepared for it.

I'd work all day, then go for a long, late-afternoon, clear Pacific Ocean swim. Then I'd eat a lighter, healthy meal (no heavy dairy products right before singing, Barry). And then, on nights when I wasn't gigging, I'd turn on my recording iMac, grab my lil All-Koa 00-size, 12-fret recording guitar, & hit the record button in Logic Pro, completely ready for tracking.

Exercise made me much more relaxed with better breathing, increased circulation & endorphins, plus expanded lung capacity so I achieved quieter & usually better recording performances - especially in my vocal control. Eating lighter w/o dairy products like cheese also contributed to clearer results.

Since swimming is all about the breath, it certainly cleaned out my nasal passages & increased my lung capacity which is great for recording. Also, recording at night after that daily exercise made for a much more relaxed recording & performing experience up in my isolated rainforest home studio. See the relationship?

That's what I did to achieve better, less self-noisy recordings & performances, Barry. Check it out. Hit the pool first. Or try yoga or whatever you do for exercise, my friend.

You CAN achieve quieter home recordings without having to resort to tedious post-tracking digital fixes in editing. Go for a swim sometime first, hit the Afrin, & then record. See if things change for the better & quieter.

All the best Barry. Have a great rest of the summer back in da Garden State.

alohachris

PS: Did you ever solve your Room Treatment issue, Bah? -alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 08-18-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Back in 2019 I tried the facemask routine which actually made my breathing sound louder in a recording. I just have to practice breathing through my mouth again I think. I have room treatment panels on the way, they should be delivered tomorrow and I'll play around with them over the weekend. Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD