The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 02:32 PM

I use a capo for lute tunes tuning my guitar in the lute tuning to give it that high chime sound. They are also fun to play around with in any tuning for that same reason.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:43 PM

In the seventies when I began playing, I didn't know what a capo was. After learning a few chords I was desperate to play some of the acoustic Jethro Tull songs and was totally baffled that nothing I tried sounded anything like Ian Andersons guitar. I suspected some bizarre secret tuning and left it alone for a while. Then ,when I saw them in concert the use of a capo became much clearer!
My other Capo story , also in the seventies, was watching a talent show on TV. On the judging panel was a bandleader who used to have his own orchestra , Jack Parnell (look him up) . If memory serves, a guy came on , played a nice piece on guitar , and Jack slated him for using a capo ,saying something to the effect that it was cheating and the guy wasn't playing properly.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
When I first started playing, I thought a capo was only used to quickly match a singer's range, or to play a song the way everyone is used to hearing it (Here Comes The Sun with open chords? I don't think so). But more and more I find myself using one, even when the tab doesn't call for it. And even though I don't sing (trying, but still haven't come close to mastering the coordination)

Maybe it's more pronounced with all-mahogany, but frequently the tone is warmer and sweeter - even chime-like - using a capo. Not the right tone for every piece, but often enough.

The other reason is finger stretch. A capo is often the difference for me between making the reach and and not being able to.

In neither case do I retune.

Do you find yourself doing the same?
I pretty much only use one when I have a song that absolutely needs open strings to play a lead line or beef up a particular chord voicing, and the song ends up outside my somewhat limited vocal range.

That said, I have noticed that playing some of these lead lines with the guitar capoed up gets a bit easyer due to the reduction in fret spacing... the trade off being that some chords start to feel cramped. In all I'd almost always rather play without if I can find a way.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
A ton of my originals are played with capo on frets 2 and 3, one of the tunes I enjoy a lot is on capo 5.
When a tune arrives, I do a lot of experimenting with different guitars and different capo positions to get to what I'll finally use for recording.
As others have said.....when the choice is made it's because "it just sounds better" (to me).
The range of interesting sounds which can be achieved by capoing up or down a fret or two is pretty amazing.
My view as well - makes so much difference - all about the sound.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 08-03-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
My other Capo story , also in the seventies, was watching a talent show on TV. On the judging panel was a bandleader who used to have his own orchestra , Jack Parnell (look him up) . If memory serves, a guy came on , played a nice piece on guitar , and Jack slated him for using a capo ,saying something to the effect that it was cheating and the guy wasn't playing properly.
Anytime someone accuses guitarists of cheating by using a capo it boils my blood!

Last edited by Andromeda; 08-03-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...in the seventies, [I] was watching a talent show on TV. On the judging panel was a bandleader who used to have his own orchestra , Jack Parnell (look him up) . If memory serves, a guy came on , played a nice piece on guitar , and Jack slated him for using a capo ,saying something to the effect that it was cheating and the guy wasn't playing properly.
In 1964 when I first learned to play guitar, I was fascinated by the acoustic guitar sounds from Peter, Paul & Mary. I learned fairly early on as I played guitar with their records that one of them (Peter, let's say) would play perhaps with no capo while the other (Paul, let's say) played with a capo using different chords but to match the key based on the capo position. As has already been mentioned in this thread, that technique creates natural harmonies and a denser accompaniment. I still use that approach today quite often when I am adding a 2nd guitar to a song.

My point is that from the beginning of my guitar experience, the capo was an integral part of how I learned to use the guitar. The idea that it's somehow cheating comes from the limited perspective of a big band player. (I don't use a capo on a jazz guitar, either.) The term "cheating," however, shows a lack of respect for the knowledge and techniques developed by players in other genres.

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2021, 09:13 AM

Until I recently moved, I played 30-odd years at my church. My experience is that most church music is written for Tenors and I haven't been one since around the age of 12. As a result, I change the key either by simply playing in the "new" key or use a capo to get there.

I rarely play with others (although I wish I could) but using a capo to get a different chord voicing would be a very worthwhile thing to do.

Best,
PJ
Old 08-03-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Here's a good example of why a capo is useful.

Here is Paul Simon playing "Kathy's Song" as Art Garfunkel does the singing. You'll note (time: 1:06, for example) that Paul Simon is playing with no capo in the key of G.

But what if a woman wanted to sing this song? She could use a capo placed well up on the fretboard to completely change the key and yet still maintain the same characteristic accompaniment to the song using the same chords and finger picking patterns as Paul Simon. See below as just one example:

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Every time I hear of some arrogant a-hole making a statement like that, I'm reminded that a major talent like Glen Campbell (a member of the famed Wrecking Crew) once held a capo up and made the comment that he owed his career to it...
Old 08-03-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
In the seventies when I began playing, I didn't know what a capo was. After learning a few chords I was desperate to play some of the acoustic Jethro Tull songs and was totally baffled that nothing I tried sounded anything like Ian Andersons guitar. I suspected some bizarre secret tuning and left it alone for a while. Then ,when I saw them in concert the use of a capo became much clearer!
I saw JT play about a decade ago and Ian had this guitar that looked like it was cut off at the 3rd fret. Like IOW instead of having a capo he had a guitar made so that the nut was at the 3rd fret... Or something like that. It was a little guitar but in a high register like it had a capo on. I've always wanted something like that ever since I saw that.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:02 AM

When writing songs sometimes I'll put a capo on and mess around with ideas, moving the capo around until I find the location where the the idea/song just seems to sit right - I come up with stuff using a capo that I probably wouldn't have if I'd been playing without it. Other times I'll be writing a song without a capo on and before settling on it played that way I'll always try it out with the capo in a few different positions to see if any suit it better.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I saw JT play about a decade ago and Ian had this guitar that looked like it was cut off at the 3rd fret. Like IOW instead of having a capo he had a guitar made so that the nut was at the 3rd fret... Or something like that. It was a little guitar but in a high register like it had a capo on. I've always wanted something like that ever since I saw that.
In fact Andersons guitar is a small 12 fret parlour guitar,(standard tuning) he had copied from a fragile original by Brook guitars, fine makers in their own right. From a distance onstage it looks tiny, but then being amplified the body size wont matter so much. Back in the seventies he mainly played a Martin New Yorker and before that (and on some iconic songs ) apparently a cheap Yamaha. Interestingly in the nineties Martin released an Ian Anderson signature guitar but I've never seen the man himself him with one!
https://equipboard.com/pros/ian-ande...parlour-guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmSKgeelaZs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iggVU-__BM

Last edited by NotveryGood; 08-04-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:48 AM

There is one more reason to use a capo:
To be able to play in the evil flat oriented keys. F, Bb, Eb, Ab etc.
I like to use a capo on the 2nd fret sometimes when playing in A or E, especially with another guitar.
I also like to use a partial capo on 2 leaving the bass string un capoed. Drop E.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sa View Post
I also like to use a partial capo on 2 leaving the bass string un capoed. Drop E.
That also works well with the capo at 4 - you can play a C shape with that big fat bottom E.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-04-2021, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

My voice is a fairly deep baritone so I Capo up on the 5th fret to enhance my overall sound.The higher guitar voice complements my lower vocal range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion