The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2021, 06:59 PM

One of my band mates moved from Georgia to Utah.
In Georgia, he never thought about humidifying a guitar.
When he brought them to Utah, they all developed cracks.
Some are very nice Martin guitars form the 70's and 80's.

Moral of the story is, depending on the humidity where your guitar is, you may or may not have to deal with humidifying or de-humidifying your instruments.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

How long can an acoustic guitar survive in its case if it didn’t have a humidifier?

It depends on where you live. I live in the Pacific Northwest where the humidity is around 40-60% year round. I don't have a humidifier in any case.

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2021, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 08-04-2021, 03:11 AM

Taylor Guitars (Bob) has said it is the abrupt changes in temperature and humidity that is the most concerning. Of course I don't own a guitar that is worth more than $600. I suppose that I might have different attitude if I had one worth $4,000.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:08 AM

In England we're fortunate to live in a temperate zone with no real, sustained periods of humidity or very dry spells. In over 50 years of owning guitars I have never resorted to a humidifier and none of my guitars ever suffered a humidity-related mishap. They live outside their cases either on floor stands or hanging from String Swings. If it becomes exceptionally dry in the winter months I sometimes leave a small bowl of water near a heat source in the room where my guitars live and allow it to evaporate. I never owned a hygrometer so I have no idea what the relative humidity here is.
Edit: according to Google it's around 55% in my town today, but increasing later in the week to the mid-70s as an Atlantic low-pressure system brings heavy rain in from the West.

Last edited by AndrewG; 08-04-2021 at 04:23 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion