The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 11:24 PM

I kinda avoid calling someones work junk, but could agree that their pricing expectations are maybe not aligned with the quality of what they are (currently) capable of.

Assuming a new inexperienced builder (as opposed to someone just interested in making cheap stuff and no interest in improvement etc), If they are serious, why not offer some advice on issues you have identified so they get feedback on where to improve. If they are serious about learning this art, they will welcome it.

I would also encourage someone like this to 'loan' out instruments to local players exactly for for feedback and focus on learning rather than doing this commercially too early.

But as others have said, I would avoid paying $950 for it. As an amateur builder, on the few occasions I have built for others, I only charge for the materials. My time is my investment in learning (and in my hobby).
Old 08-02-2021, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
Not sure how you can say way better when you haven’t heard the guitar. Guitars you mentioned are fine guitars but that doesn’t mean that one isn’t just as nice. And I’m sure if the OP pointed out the flaws on the one that was in the photo, the builder will be extra careful. I would be curious what he says when it is pointed out to him
If the builder doesn’t have the necessary experience and/or skill, then pointing out flaws and the builder being “extra careful” might not matter much.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
If the builder doesn’t have the necessary experience and/or skill, then pointing out flaws and the builder being “extra careful” might not matter much.
Perhaps. That’s why I’d be interested what his response would be when the flaws are pointed out.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:10 AM

Guitar factories care about both looks and tone but still prioritize fit and finish because they know that people buy with their eyes. They also have the overhead to just saw a guitar in half because someone made a minor mistake on it that isn't worth correcting and would ruin their reputation if they released it into the wild and developed a Twitter storm.

Having been in the build and repair business for 25 years now I have seen some very high quality small shop luthier guitars come through my shop and you would be surprised at some of the petty flaws that were pointed out in this guys work is seen on $6k guitars. In fact I have one in now where the strings go over the nut to the tuners the head plate is so thick and the nut so low that the strings have dug grooves in the head plate. The guitar sounds fantastic but by AG standards it's garbage . I have also seen a fair share of beginner luthier guitars too some of which sounded fantastic with plenty of fit and finish flaws.

I would not judge this guys work till I sat down with one in my lap. I pointed out an internal structural issue earlier because that is more clear to me. But even that I'm sure is about his personal philosophy on building, IOW he's doing it for a reason. When you buy a factory guitar you are buying into a brand, it's history, tradition or even it's client list. When you buy from a luthier you are buying from a single crafts person who builds a guitar in it's entirety and you are buying and trusting in his or her design philosophy. It's a different buying experience which leads to a different guitar.

But most people are comfortable with the big brand names and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I own a few myself and they are fantastic. But if you are willing to take a chance and overlook some of the more common hand made flaws in fit and finish you might just end up with something truly special.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
I kinda avoid calling someones work junk, but could agree that their pricing expectations are maybe not aligned with the quality of what they are (currently) capable of.

Agreed. New builders are unlikely to produce well made guitars. It takes time to hone their craft. I would want to see several examples in-hand.

That one bridge plate...it has knots. This is not good for structural integrity. The gap in the neck joint makes me nervous.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 08-03-2021, 12:29 PM

i would worry as much or more about the sound coming out as build quality. Have you heard or played one yet? Many can build....few can build one that is pleasing to the ears
Old 08-03-2021, 12:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

FWIW, I placed an order from a small but known/legit builder over a year ago. The price was very attractive - $1200 for what was essentially a D-21 w/large sound hole, full gloss, and his site is very professional with photos of his workshop, guitars he's completed and sold, many positive comments. It was supposed to be done in June but I've not heard anything.... But to be frank, I'm not worried because he did not want a deposit so what's the harm? I hope things work out but I'm not putting any undue expectations on this. If I can get a reasonably good small shop hand-made all solid wood instrument for that price I will consider it a win even if it doesn't sound quite as good as a "real" D-21. Trying to take a positive view here.....
Old 08-03-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
FWIW, I placed an order from a small but known/legit builder over a year ago. The price was very attractive - $1200 for what was essentially a D-21 w/large sound hole, full gloss, and his site is very professional with photos of his workshop, guitars he's completed and sold, many positive comments. It was supposed to be done in June but I've not heard anything.... But to be frank, I'm not worried because he did not want a deposit so what's the harm? I hope things work out but I'm not putting any undue expectations on this. If I can get a reasonably good small shop hand-made all solid wood instrument for that price I will consider it a win even if it doesn't sound quite as good as a "real" D-21. Trying to take a positive view here.....
If this is a certain Alabama builder, you might not be getting it until 2022
Old 08-03-2021, 02:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
If this is a certain Alabama builder, you might not be getting it until 2022
Yes, most likely the one. I have an email out to him. Do you know what the issues are?
Old 08-03-2021, 06:55 PM

Default Too good to be true?

Looks like he's got the spirit, but not enough experience for you to buy one just yet.

I don't like the looks of the bracing. There's a trend of scalloping down the under lapping x leg going around, and I think that's shooting yourself in the foot. At that point, why not just make the entire brace slightly shallower instead of having peaks and valleys, which will be the weakest link?

Cosmetically, I can give him a break. Rather, put things in perspective. He should do better if selling as new, but I've seen way worse side bending and binding jobs on vintage instruments that people would buy in a heartbeat.

Just my .02
Old 08-03-2021, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Maybe stating the obvious I think it's about your risk tolerance, money and otherwise. You might:
1) get a good/great guitar at a bargain price or something disappointing; and/or
2) be getting an early guitar from the next Richard Hoover (SCGC), Dana Bourgeois, Bill Collings, etc....or not.

With all that said my experience is you usually get what you pay for.

Last edited by gmel555; 08-03-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:34 PM

It sounds like it's the same people I know. When I was talking with him several months ago, he said their waiting list was huge, and at $1200 I can understand that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Yes, most likely the one. I have an email out to him. Do you know what the issues are?
MLJ Parlor #27 / Eastman E2-CD / Silvertone 604 / Egmond 60's parlor / Journey OF660 / Martin Custom D / Santa Cruz D Pre War / Doff Classical / Takamine 12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion