The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-28-2021, 08:29 PM

Default LR Baggs Venue vs Voiceprint DI

Hi everyone,

I’m considering moving from my Venue to a Voiceprint. Currently all my acoustics are equipped with K&K Pure Mini picksups and I generally do the solo singer songwriter thing.

What are the pros and cons in your minds of each?

For me my priories are sound quality and ease of setup (I used to and see myself again playing a lot of 3-7 song sets so quick sound check is essential).

Thanks!!
Old 07-29-2021, 03:33 AM

I upgraded from the venue to the voiceprint. The first thing i bought is a tuner. What i do for the boost is save presets for both fingerstyle and strumming to cover the volume difference. If you have multiple guitars then having presets for each guitar is a big help. The k&k really works well with the voiceprint. Other than that i think the only con of the voiceprint is a bit of preparation is needed and with all the parameters you may get easily sucked into a neverending tone adjustments.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:49 PM

Thank you for your response!

Out of curiosity, do you run your voiceprint with any other pedals live?

Also, how hard is it to switch between different presets in a live setting?
Old 08-02-2021, 09:20 PM

Default LR Baggs Venue vs Voiceprint DI

Yeah i run it with a boss delay and reverb pedals and the lr baggs session.

Usually in a live situation i will only have two presets in a setlist (or lr baggs call it a playlist) so pressing the next button on the pedal will just cycle through those two presets.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
Hi everyone,

I’m considering moving from my Venue to a Voiceprint. Currently all my acoustics are equipped with K&K Pure Mini picksups and I generally do the solo singer songwriter thing.

What are the pros and cons in your minds of each?

For me my priories are sound quality and ease of setup (I used to and see myself again playing a lot of 3-7 song sets so quick sound check is essential).

Thanks!!
Hi emu-hunter!

I own a ToneDexter, and I use studio grade mics to pull my WaveMaps with ahead of time. There is no external EQ, preamp, needed, as the features are built into the unit. And I find the better mics I use, the better WaveMaps it produces.

I already owned studio mics.

I don't know which unit is best. I'll tell you what I like about the ToneDexter.
  • I like the immediacy of adjustments, and I know what I'm adjusting when I do.
  • Also the DI (direct box output) is fully featured, including fixed and adjustable XLR level out, simultaneous XLR and ¼" output, adjustable boost, ground lift, mute etc.
  • The preamp section allows three different profiles/mixes of % of pickup and WaveMap, plus a fourth adjustment for reducing the percentage of WaveMap versus pickup mix even more.
  • It has great individual Tone adjustment, and a notch which preloads the sensitive feedback prone frequencies it sensed when you pulled the WaveMap which you can ramp up from 0-100%, rather than just generic Lo-cut (hi-pass).

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Apparently either unit is capable, and the uniqueness of features of each matches different approaches of musicians.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification