The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-24-2021, 04:41 PM

Default Low tension string for resonator

I've been spoiled by using thomasik plectrums on my Taylor amd now it's really hard to play my resonator with 13/56. Can anyone recommend a low tension string for resonator guitar that feels like the Thomasik?
Old 07-25-2021, 04:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
I've been spoiled by using thomasik plectrums on my Taylor amd now it's really hard to play my resonator with 13/56. Can anyone recommend a low tension string for resonator guitar that feels like the Thomasik?
What you're asking for does not exist.

Aside from the Taylor guitar itself feeling & sounding totally different than a resonator guitar, the string gauges are a world apart.

Why don't you simply put a set of the Thomastik Plectrum strings on your resonator?

Then you can describe what you're hearing and feeling, and if it all appeals to your ergonomic & aural sensibilities.

Your Thomastik set has 125.4 lbs of tension, and your .013-.056 has about 175 Lbs of tension. That's about a 50 Lbs difference.....

You can NOT have more mass at the same tension than less mass if all other parameters are the same, ie scale length.

After you put the Thomastik set on your resonator, let us know how the sound changed, not to mention action, buzzing, etc.

There is no particular set required for a resonator, by the way. You can use nickel wound (electric strings) or phosphor bronze. There will be a tonal difference. In the 'real' world your Thomastik strings would be considered extra light, or custom light, gauge, something that almost all resonator guitars don't sound very good with.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 07-27-2021, 01:39 PM

hi bloozeman - the best compromise I've found for lower tension strings on a reso is the Martin Flex-Cores, whose thinner core-wires give a much slinkier feel - single-cone resonators actually don't need a huge amount of down-pressure on the cone in my experience, & for me the ( light gauge ) Martins work fine - cheap enough to try'em anyway!
Old 07-28-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldergreene View Post
hi bloozeman - the best compromise I've found for lower tension strings on a reso is the Martin Flex-Cores, whose thinner core-wires give a much slinkier feel - single-cone resonators actually don't need a huge amount of down-pressure on the cone in my experience, & for me the ( light gauge ) Martins work fine - cheap enough to try'em anyway!
Thanks man I'll look into them. Right now I just put on a set of Michael Messer 13/56, they dont feel too bad but Im also tuned down a whole step from standard. Usually I tune down all my guitars just a half step
Old 07-31-2021, 07:18 PM

I have been using Bluegrass Gauge strings on my Reso with very good results.
Just ordered some Martin Retro sets to see how they sound. Got them in medium Gauge.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:23 PM

I ordered a set of the michael messer 13-56 strings from newtone. Theyre feeling pretty good

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments