The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-29-2021, 10:37 PM

Default 000-13E/000-12E vs 000-16E

I'm shopping for a beater 000 Martin with a factory pickup.

It seems like the biggest real world difference between the models listed in the title(I'm not too hung up on the back and side specs) is the Fishman MX-T vs Fishman Matrix VT Enhance.

I don't know what the difference is between these pickups. Are they both UST?

I won't be able to play them in store and will be buying online.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

I have a Matrix VT Enhance in my Martin GP-28e and to me, it's a great sounding pickup. I play it through a Loudbox mini and it sounds very natural.

I also have a Martin GPRSG that came with Sonotone. It's the same pickup as te MXT but without the tuner. I took it out and replaced it with a JJB. It sounds very good but I like the Matrix much better.

You could save quite a bit of money with one of the Road Series guitars and a $50 JJB, but in my opinion, the 16 series with the Matrix will sound better.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I agree with lowrider. I have played guitars with the low end budget USTs by Fishman. No thanks.

Most recently, Although I preferred the Gibson G-45 Studio over the J435 Studio unplugged, I bought the J45-Studio - because it had the Baggs Element UST.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:52 AM

i agree the Matrix VT Enhance sounds better than the MX-T (more piezo quacky-ness in the latter). however, the other thing that matters to some is that the 16-series is made in Nazareth, PA and the 12/13s are made in Mexico. may not matter to you, but could affect resell price/desirability.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

The Fishman Matrix VT Enhance is their Matrix undersaddle pickup with a soundboard transducer as well. The Enhance wheel is supposed to bring in more of the SBT, however I couldn't tell any difference at all in my 000-17 that had this system stock. I pulled it out and replaced it with a Baggs Anthem SL and that sounds awesome in there. I second the suggestion of just buying a Road Series Martin and installing a JJB pickup. I've had JJB pickups in several guitars and they sound great plugged in.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-30-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Mick, I wonder if there was something wrong with your Matrix pickup. I don't have my guitar with me to check it, but I remember the Enhance wheel having a clear effect. Then I just set and forgot about it. I know that I just set it with a little bit of ''enhance'' and to me, I like it a lot more than the JJB, which I really like in a similar guitar.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Mick, I wonder if there was something wrong with your Matrix pickup. I don't have my guitar with me to check it, but I remember the Enhance wheel having a clear effect. Then I just set and forgot about it. I know that I just set it with a little bit of ''enhance'' and to me, I like it a lot more than the JJB, which I really like in a similar guitar.
Honestly I just think the “enhance” just couldn’t overcome the quackiness of the Fishman undersaddle pickup.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification