The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-17-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Covering up a "cheat"

Generally I can't do a 3xxxx7 stretch. Maybe if I worked at for a while I could but once I stop working on it forget it. I might have pulled it off using my thumb on 3, but I was just doing a demo for a set of strings and didn't feel like it.

At about 40-41 seconds I'm doing a transition from a 3-5 hammer to what should be the 3xxxx7 note interval, but instead I do a 5-7 slide which covers it up pretty well.

This is in DADGAD, no capo.

Sometimes I'll make changes to arrangements because I like the flow better. Other times I'll make a change to adjust for lack of skill or physical limitations, which can be confused with making the "flow" better. Other times I'll play with a capo even though the arrangement doesn't call for it to make stretches like the above doable. The first tune in the demo with the 3xxxx7 stretch is notated to be played with a capo on 2, but I didn't because I wanted others to hear the real tone of the strings.

Long story short, don't beat yourself up over one note/chord in a sea of notes. Just get it to flow. You can always go back and expand on it.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-18-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

There is so much practical good advice distilled into this one post, and well illustrated in the(excellent,) audio.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 07-25-2021, 07:47 AM

Cheat? LOL- no, you created- good job!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write