The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-16-2021, 10:59 AM

Default Apogee Element 46

I'm looking at buying a used Apogee Element 46 for around $600. It'd be for a 2015 iMac. Anyone here have any opinions good or bad on that?

Thanks,

A
Old 07-16-2021, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Apogee preamps and conversion are highly thought of by many so I think you should be fine with that unit.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-16-2021, 04:39 PM
Eric Skye

That's what I use, and I like it a lot. Apogee makes great stuff. And in particular if you're running Logic on a mac, it's nicely integrated into the DAW - you can control the Element right in Logic. I like the overall simplicity of this unit. For me personally it turned out that I did not need four mic pres, but for someone that does need four it's a great value -especially at $600 My one beef would be the lag time in updates.. They just very recently released the software update for Big Sur -just in time For Monterey
Old 07-16-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
For me personally it turned out that I did not need four mic pres, but for someone that does need four it's a great value -especially at $600.
So many people start out thinking they only need two preamps and before too long realize they really wish they had three, that I think it makes a lot of sense for people to aim for four at a minimum (since three isn't really a thing) even when they're not sure they'll need four.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-16-2021, 08:20 PM

I’ve been using the Apogee Thunderbolt Ensemble for the past year and a half — I think the preamps and converters are the same as in the Element interfaces, and they’re fabulous. Best sound I’ve ever gotten. The DAC on the main outputs is particularly good.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 07-16-2021, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I've been using an Apogee Element 46 for about 4 ½ years. It's nice. The preamps are quite good, very clean and quiet, and the A/D and D/A converters are superb. So is the headphone amp. Basically, Apogee took these circuits items from their Ensemble and Symphony products and put them in the Element without all the hardware knobs. The Control software runs it and it is quite servicable.

The Element 46 only has two channels of balanced analog outputs (for use with monitors). You really can't use it with outboard gear (such as compressors or EQ) unless you get separate converters and do the roundtrips via ADAT, S/MUX or SPDIF.

The Element is discontinued. However, Apogee is committed to support it for five years (about 4.5 years left), which means the control software will be updated to work with the new Apple processors.

The Elements have DSP in them and Apogee has released several plugins that will work in either a native or DSP mode with incredibly short latency. The plugins were free to original Element purchasers. You might want to see if yourseller has those items for transfer to you as part of the sale.

It should run just fine on your 2015 iMac. I run mine on a 2011 iMac, which is not upgradable beyond High Sierra, and is runs without a hitch. It works with Mac OS 10.13.6 through Catalina and will be running on M1 Macs (natively) later this year.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:17 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
So many people start out thinking they only need two preamps and before too long realize they really wish they had three, that I think it makes a lot of sense for people to aim for four at a minimum (since three isn't really a thing) even when they're not sure they'll need four.
I'm sure you're totally right for most people. But for me personally when the time comes to replace my Element 46 I know for sure I'll be happy with just two mic pres. I've been making a lot of videos for social media, starting to for other people too, shot two lessons for Homespun and made a new guitar duo album during the pandemic.. very busy year. I've learned for sure I'm happiest as a minimalist. I never once wished I had a third mic. And I know I'll only ever be interested in solo and duo instrumental music I think when the time comes for me I'd be interested in a two channel bus-powered unit that is a little more portable, perhaps a future version of the RME Babyface..
Old 07-17-2021, 12:29 PM

Thanks guys. I've been remodeling our house and the music room portion is getting close. I'm psyched to get into recording again. It's been way too long.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I'm sure you're totally right for most people. But for me personally when the time comes to replace my Element 46 I know for sure I'll be happy with just two mic pres. I've been making a lot of videos for social media, starting to for other people too, shot two lessons for Homespun and made a new guitar duo album during the pandemic.. very busy year. I've learned for sure I'm happiest as a minimalist. I never once wished I had a third mic. And I know I'll only ever be interested in solo and duo instrumental music I think when the time comes for me I'd be interested in a two channel bus-powered unit that is a little more portable, perhaps a future version of the RME Babyface..
Yes for solo instrumentalist 2 mic pre's is arguably a good fit from a minimalist perspective where a pair of mics is all that will be used .

For the singing guitar player I always recommend at least 3 (for the added ability to do a one pass take) but since manufactures seem to only make either 2 or 4. Then 4 becomes arguably the best logistical choice (of course if you are fine with always and only doing the vocal as an overdub, then 2 will suffice)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD