The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Romero D Ho 6

I've been enjoying the playability and tonal quality of my "nylon" (actually fluorocarbon) Romero Creations D Ho 6 -- a baritone uke size guitalele -- for months now. I've got it tuned a full step up, and the sound is very clear, with excellent sustain. I've played a few classical guitars before, but until now, have never cared much for the tone, in comparison to steel strings.

However, now Romero has come out with a steel string version of the same size, shape, and materials -- solid mahogany and spruce. Since i have more guitars than i need right now, i'm resisting -- but it's difficult!
Old 08-04-2021, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

You caught my attention because I’ve never heard of these instruments. Now I’ve visited their website and they look pretty cool!

What is it like playing something with a 21 inch scale? I suppose the PR strings are designed to a workable tension.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
You caught my attention because I’ve never heard of these instruments. Now I’ve visited their website and they look pretty cool!

What is it like playing something with a 21 inch scale? I suppose the PR strings are designed to a workable tension.
I owned this very same model for about two years and recently sold it. They are an excellent instrument that is very well made and plays easy as you can image. The reason I ended up selling is I really really wanted it to work in standard E-E tuning and it doesn’t. Even with the dedicated PR strings the tension is very low and sounds dull and muddy on the 6th and 5th string.

As the OP stated this instrument tuned up to G-G comes alive and sounds wonderful. But I didn’t want to mess around with transcribing or learning new chords shapes. I bought a Cordoba Cadet which is 3/4 size classical guitar with 23” scale. In standard tuning it sounds the way I want and scratches the small nylon string guitar itch.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
I owned this very same model for about two years and recently sold it. They are an excellent instrument that is very well made and plays easy as you can image. The reason I ended up selling is I really really wanted it to work in standard E-E tuning and it doesn’t. Even with the dedicated PR strings the tension is very low and sounds dull and muddy on the 6th and 5th string.

As the OP stated this instrument tuned up to G-G comes alive and sounds wonderful. But I didn’t want to mess around with transcribing or learning new chords shapes. I bought a Cordoba Cadet which is 3/4 size classical guitar with 23” scale. In standard tuning it sounds the way I want and scratches the small nylon string guitar itch.
Thanks Dave. I guess the Romero is a bit like capoing a normal scale guitar at the third fret, but with different tone and attack because of the smaller body size.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

My voice is such that many of my songs work better for me when capoed at the 2nd fret on a standard guitar, so it works well for me to tune the DH6 up a step. Thus the short scale is not a problem. I did play it for a while tuned E-E, without finding the strings floppy. However, i generally use very light strings on my regular guitars (JP 550SL or Newtone Heritage), so i expect low tension.

When it's my turn in the weekly song circle that i participate in, most of the other guitarists just capo at 2 to play along. Otherwise, i'm usually playing my concertina in accompaniment.

So my circumstances are unusual, i guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion