The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have played guitars that behaved as the OP described. I found that on one guitar the high E string had this pronounced increase in loudness. But, if I muted the 5th string, the ringing stopped. So, sympathetic overtones involved for sure.
Best,
Jayne
Old 08-06-2021, 08:48 AM

Thanks all for the responses. To be clear:

1 - This is not typical 'bloom' where various overtones sustain beyond the fundamental. As mentioned in the OP: If I play an open harmonic, it rises in volume without a tonic/ fundamental beneath it.

2 - This is not sympathetic vibration with other strings. Also started in the OP, it occurs with other strings muted.

I think Lars or joeld may be closest to an answer. Either the string is vibrating in such a way that it self oscillates like a "magic gong" or the string is finding resonant frequencies in the top itself. Either way, a strange and beautiful sorcery is built into this guitar.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 08-06-2021, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
Thanks all for the responses. To be clear:

1 - This is not typical 'bloom' where various overtones sustain beyond the fundamental. As mentioned in the OP: If I play an open harmonic, it rises in volume without a tonic/ fundamental beneath it.

2 - This is not sympathetic vibration with other strings. Also started in the OP, it occurs with other strings muted.

I think Lars or joeld may be closest to an answer. Either the string is vibrating in such a way that it self oscillates like a "magic gong" or the string is finding resonant frequencies in the top itself. Either way, a strange and beautiful sorcery is built into this guitar.
Well, if you learn how to control it, regardless of where it comes from, you can capitalize on it when you are composing/playing.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion