The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-13-2020, 01:27 PM

Default Amp suitable for acoustic and electric

A friend wants to get a birthday present for somebody. She said she'd like to get him a small amp that will work with acoustic or electric. Her budget is probably a few hundred bucks, so that probably means digital rather than tube.

How about a Boss Katana? How would one of the smaller Fender modelers, like a Mustang LT 25 1x8" or a Fender Champion 40 1x12" work with an acoustic?

Another possibility would be something like a Roland Cube, which I never liked the electric sounds on, but maybe I'm missing something.

Other thoughts?

Thanks!

D.H.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Given the parameters, I'd go with the Katana. It comes with an acoustic setting that sounds pretty good. It won't sound as good with an acoustic as a Loudbox Mini, but it will sound a lot better with an electric than other acoustic amps. I've owned a Fender Mustang III and I loved it for electric, but it wouldn't do a good job with an acoustic.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-13-2020, 02:17 PM

I have a Fender Acoustasonic 150, which can be found used for about $200. Its a compromise to put both types of amps into one box, but it does a surprisingly good job handling my electric and acoustic guitars. No, its not as good as an amp designed just for an electric or an acoustic guitar. But, like a reasonably priced steak and lobster dinner, it is pretty good an often that is good enough for what it does. I have played gigs with the Acoustasonic 150 and it has hung in there without any effort. It is nice to load in and out one amp, that's for certain. Hope this is helpful.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 02:31 PM

Marshall make a couple of amps which feature input channels for acoustic and electric, sometimes with a third channel for a mic.
I used to use one many years ago with a Parker fly. In a live band situation it was very useable.
Another answer might be a good powered pa type amp like the little Bose with a nice electric guitar preamp in front of it (for the electric.)
I used to use a Mesa Boogie pedal straight into a PA sometimes, though there are lots of preamps cheaper than that.
Nick
Old 08-13-2020, 03:29 PM

I have the Fender Super Champ XD - a hybrid 1X10 amp with SS pre-amp and all tube 6V6 output section - it has amp model in the preamp section Fender Tweed, BF, Twin and some Brit amps but there is an Acoustic setting that was surprisingly good sounding. Those amps used are just at or under $200. The replacement for the Fender Super Champ XD was Super Champ X2 that did not offer that same acoustic mode setting option.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:44 PM

Peavey Vypyr have pretty decent modeling for electric guitar and have several cool effects. Not bad amps. They're designed with electric, acoustic, and bass in mind.

Yamaha THR10II is terrific if you don't need something real loud. When I need mine loud, I use the headphones out and line into a PA.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:04 PM

Thanks, everybody, that adds to the choices.

D.H.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:24 PM

Another vote for the Yamaha THR10II for a practice amp. Love mine.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:31 PM

The Katana's work great for both. I have a 100 and it's got a ton of features that come in handy if you do not have any pedals.

That said, I keep an older loudbox mini at work and use it for both acoustic and electric. Works great with my G1x4 and Tele. It also has 2 channels so you can use a mic if you choose. Pretty versatile. Prior to the LBM I had a Fender Acoustasonic 40 that I used for dual duty. Worked fine and it also had 2 channels.

Lots of options out there beyond these though. If I could only have one amp and both acoustic and electric guitars and no pedals, it would be the Katana all day long because of all the tones included and available.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
A friend wants to get a birthday present for somebody. She said she'd like to get him a small amp that will work with acoustic or electric. Her budget is probably a few hundred bucks, so that probably means digital rather than tube.

How about a Boss Katana? How would one of the smaller Fender modelers, like a Mustang LT 25 1x8" or a Fender Champion 40 1x12" work with an acoustic?

Another possibility would be something like a Roland Cube, which I never liked the electric sounds on, but maybe I'm missing something.

Other thoughts?

Thanks!

D.H.
Hi Dave

Acoustic amps are designed with wide range fidelity, and the ability to play loudly without distorting.

Electric amps are designed to distort easily (except for certain brands which go for clarity/cleanness), and many electric amps are open back (death to fidelity).

So if it's a closed back amp with an overdrive channel and clean channel, and at least two way speaker system (like a keyboard amp) it might work just fine. Especially if you are using emulation to produce effects for the electric instead of physically overdriving the amp (which is a lot fun on electric!!!!).

I'm sure there are great amps which will do fine for small situation use.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-14-2020, 02:37 AM

A HX Stomp with a little fullrange speaker works fine but may or may not be a little bit above your budget.

I used the Stomp for electric bass, double bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar and mandolins.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-14-2020, 05:26 AM

I just use my Loudbox.I play one of my acoustics and a Tele through it at gigs with a Fire Eye Twin preamp. Sounds excellent. If I want some crunch, The preamp has an effects loop.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-14-2020, 06:55 AM

Thanks to all for your comments. One that's come up elsewhere is the Yamaha THR10 II - have any of you tried one?

D.H.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:38 AM

I think the Boss Katana would be my #1 choice. It's designed to handle both acoustic and electric guitars.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Thanks to all for your comments. One that's come up elsewhere is the Yamaha THR10 II - have any of you tried one?

D.H.
I owned the first gen THR5 and for recording, it can't be beat. Very clean interface. Great, useful effects. Now the gen II models have many amps built in one, unlocked by using the app. It sounds fantastic for electric guitar. The knobs actually make the same changes that a real tube amp would go through when you raise the gain, chain the tone, etc. The acoustic side of it has Yamaha's SRT mic modeling, which is blendable with the gain knob. Full gain, full mic modeling. No gain, just your guitar pickups.
Also, just for playing back music through a phone or mp3 player, it sounds pretty good too, and it's arguably a good looking amp that the wife doesn't mind it sitting on a coffee table.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification