The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-12-2020, 05:48 PM

Default Opinions sought on Nashville area living

I'm very likely to be moving to the Nashville area in the next few months.

I've started looking at houses for sale, but I'm not sure which towns, suburbs, and neighbourhoods are nice or should be avoided.

I think I might prefer to be located more to the south and/or west of the city, with no more than an hour's drive to downtown, but that might change.

I'd welcome opinions from anyone who has local knowledge.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2020, 06:18 PM

Are you interested in something rural, or more suburban? Ritzy neighborhood? Etc etc...

Lots of nice areas to suit anyone's tastes around Nashville.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Would it make sense to rent until you get the lay of the land before jumping into buying something???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-12-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Are you interested in something rural, or more suburban? Ritzy neighborhood? Etc etc...

Lots of nice areas to suit anyone's tastes around Nashville.
Suburban or semi-rural. Needs to be reasonably easy to mow the front and back yards. Either that, or something so wild that it doesn't even need mowing... but I need at least a little bit of grass for my dogs.

I definitely don't need ritzy.

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is avoiding high-crime areas.

I will probably have to buy something without seeing it in person first, which is risky.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Would it make sense to rent until you get the lay of the land before jumping into buying something???
Great idea! I tried to do that, but I couldn't find anywhere that would take my three dogs (two are tiny!) and three cats.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:03 PM

I’d look into the Franklin/Brentwood areas — might be a tad on the pricey side though

Old 08-12-2020, 10:04 PM

Brentwood is very pricey, and Franklin is on its way!

There are a few “up and towns” in that area that you can still get your money’s worth.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

My aunt moved to Nashville a few years back from Norfolk, VA. She stayed closer to downtown for a couple years, but has been over in Hendersonville the last year or two. I've been out to see her - seems like a nice area and the drive into town only took us 25-30 when we went in for a show at the Ryman. Good luck with the move!

Austin
Old 08-13-2020, 12:06 AM

I agree it's wise to rent first to get direct personal experience the various communities before buying.
Seeking advice is good, but often others will have different priorities, values, opinions, and preferences than you or I would.
I think the only thing more personal and important than buying a home is selecting a spouse.

Buyer beware of RE agents' recommendations on neighborhoods.
Many just want to put you in the most expensive home possible for the higher commission.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:19 AM

Yeah, Brentwood and Franklin do look a little pricey.

Any opinions on Antioch, La Vergne, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro?
Old 08-13-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
My aunt moved to Nashville a few years back from Norfolk, VA. She stayed closer to downtown for a couple years, but has been over in Hendersonville the last year or two. I've been out to see her - seems like a nice area and the drive into town only took us 25-30 when we went in for a show at the Ryman. Good luck with the move!

Austin
Thanks! Hendersonville looks nice, but I'm leaning toward being south / west of the city at the moment, although that could change.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I know I hate riding my motorcycle around or through Murfreesboro. It
seems like lots of traffic and explosive growth there...
Maybe check out stuff along the Natchez Trace where it flows into
Nashville? Google sez it is about a half hour/forty-five minutes into
Nashville from the Natchez Trace Parkway Bridge...

-Mike
Old 08-13-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I love the Franklin/Brentwood area, but I agree with the others... a little pricey. If you want less pricey, maybe a little farther south of Franklin. I haven't been down there as much as I've been between Nashville and Franklin.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Yeah, Brentwood and Franklin do look a little pricey.

Any opinions on Antioch, La Vergne, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro?
I would avoid Antioch and LaVergne, IMO. Those areas are higher in crime than other suburban areas around Nashville.

Murfreesboro is one of the faster growing areas around here and has a lot of options. If you do have to drive into Nashville during the workday, the commute would be pretty terrible, but during off times you can make it to downtown within an hour.

As others have said, Franklin and Brentwood are great areas, but are getting increasingly pricey. But, south of Franklin has some nice areas in Thompson's Station and Spring Hill. I'd personally lean towards Spring Hill over Murfreesboro, but both are roughly the same distance from downtown Nashville.

I lived in Bellevue west of the city a long time ago, and it was fairly nice at that time. I can't comment too much on it nowadays since I don't get out there very much any more. Going past Bellevue gets you more into the country, but I'm just not that familiar with that area so I can't provide much more info than that.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I know you said you might have to buy sight unseen. If at all possible, I'd recommend taking leave or whatever you need to investigate a prospective area/specific address. Perhaps learn a few important (IMHO) things like:

- How's the traffic, traffic noise?
I grew up in a sleepy little suburb, moved away and came back 25 years later. Gridlock, no place to park at the stores, lines at the filling stations, same little road now has non-stop highway noise all night, etc.

- How's the commute (both ways) at the actual times you'll be going?
At my last job before leaving California, google maps said I was 40 minutes from work (if I checked at night). Actual commute in the morning was 75-90 minutes, and 2 hours every afternoon.

- Access to the things you need?
Living out in the sticks meant at least 30 minutes to any decent restaurants, music stores, etc.

- How are your prospective neighbors?
I owned and rented in various NICE places with successful young neighbors who partied constantly, dozens of friends parked in front of my house, and dogs outside 24/7 to shriek and howl and wail. Are they nosey? Is there an intrusive HOA?

- Decent schools?
Even before the plague, many of my neighbors were enrolling their little ones in local private schools since the public warehouses here merely "train to the test." Some moved across the river to another city/state to escape ongoing govt-sanctioned mediocrity in their kids.

- Property taxes?
Will you even have a police force? Fire Dept?

Not sure if I'll ever move again (or where), but those are things I will certainly research before I spend several hundred thousand dollars on a place where I don't enjoy being at home.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic