The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-12-2020, 06:43 AM

Default My son's learning challenges - and how he overcame them

My youngest son shared this video with me. He battled learning disabilities his entire school career. He didn't start talking until he was 4 years old. In 3rd grade they told us he would have to go to a Special Education school - that that normal schools where not equipped to help him. But thru the grace of God, he continued in his school and graduated high school with a 3.4 GPA. In elementary school he voluntarily would skip recess to stay in class and try to get his work done. It broke my heart. Throughout junior high and high school he worked hours and hours every night on his school work. He was driven! In college he studied 14 - 17 hours EVERY day - 7 days a week - to get thru. Most other students studied a small fraction of that time. He graduated from Middle Tennessee State University in August 2019 with a degree in Criminal Justice and minor in Political Science and 3.4 GPA.

He told me yesterday that he began and ended every day watching the video below - and often during the day while in the library. He watched it so many times that he has it memorized. He recited it to me this week when I was going thru a hard time. All 4 of my kids finished college. His older 3 siblings were brilliant at school and excelled in their studies. I am the most proud of my youngest son's degree, and I expect that of my 4 children he will be the one who has the greatest impact on this world.

The month he graduated college his doctor, who is one of the best psychiatrists in the nation and who has worked with him since 3rd grade had my wife, my son, and me come to his office. He had done a battery of test and my son NO LONGER HAD ADD. He ranked in the 85th percentile of all men his age in his learning/attention aptitude. He told us to cancel any future appointments and that the ADD meds should be stopped!

He gets up at 4:00 every morning to go to his job as a security guard. He could have stay home and collect unemployment, but he choose to work. His supervisor says he is the best guards they've ever had. He runs many miles after work and works out on weights daily. He is now enlisting in the Air Force.

I've started watching this video everyday too.

Last edited by 815C; 08-12-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

815, great story about your son. I'm proud of him for all his successes and for joining the Air Force. What does he want to do in the AF? As the AF says, aim high! Best of luck to him.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

That's a great lesson and a great life.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-12-2020, 12:43 PM

A remarkable story, and a beautiful achievement! Thanks for sharing this.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

What a wonderful story - thanks for sharing...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-12-2020, 01:51 PM

815C- What a heartwarming story! As a lifelong schoolteacher who just retired, it has special meaning to me. Over the years I worked with a lot students with learning disabilities, many with great attitudes in the face of frustration and challenge. Your son is obviously a young man of great character and ambition and indeed, he will make a difference in this world. Hats off to you for being such a great parent and congratulations to your son on being such a fine citizen. -RB
Old 08-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

815C,
Thanks for sharing your and your son’s story as well as the video. I congratulate you on your parenting- job well done. All four of your kids are getting it done.
Your youngest son has grit. And that’s beautiful.
Thanks.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:18 PM

Awesome! You raised a fighter. Grit and tenacity will take someone further than they, or anyone else, can know. I hope you and he relish a lifetime of moving barriers.
Guild F-1512
Epiphone ES-339
Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-13-2020, 03:34 PM
AGF Administrator

As a father to a special needs child who is struggling in school (especially in our current situation and losing access to in-person resources) this is encouraging. I applaud your son's hard work and achievements.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic