The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-27-2020, 09:43 PM

Default Ask the Boss...

I love my Boss Acoustic Singer for all three of those tasks. Small enough to carry and cheap enough to buy ($400), it distinguishes itself from rivals by having a tweeter (and a tweeter cut switch). Boss tosses in several of its pedal tricks for free: vocal harmony, looping, and three acoustic resonance settings. Set clean, it plays clean. Put some rock pedals in front of it, and it will change personality a rocker. There's a huge range of tunes possible here...
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 07-28-2020, 04:00 AM

Beswt and easiest way is a powered PA speaker, that will do the acoustic and vocals,, add in an amp modeller pedal for the electric and you good to go,, you can do the whole thing for under a grand if you want pro level gear or under 250 if just for home use

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Old 07-29-2020, 05:55 AM

Well I've decided to Go with my HeadRush 108 as my PA speaker for live use
But I bought a TC Helicon FX150 for practice and live use until it's underpowered and then I'll line to the HeadRush 108
The FX150 will spice up the vocals and I have a Behringer GDI21 pedal for the Electric and it sounds good with acoustic's also
I mainly play clean so this pedal can do that, pushed in the California setting it can get an edge to it.

Now the question is how does the 6.5 in speaker sound for practice? We will see.

I'll pick up a Power Station soon for No-Power outdoor gigs...

Funny but the Headrush 108 with 2000watts only pulls around 30watts...according to my wattmeter.

I put the watt meter on my total music room set up and it only ran 55watts
That's a Peavey Mixer, Behringer GDI21 Pedal, Voice Mechanic, Danelectro Echo pedal, Kustom PA50 and the Headrush 108.

Now this was mainly just idling, I'll actually put the watt meter on it when I'm using next time and see if it changes.

Since the only thing I had to buy was the FX150 $278.... Not too bad for a live setup...If the FX150 comes through as a usable unit... If not I'll buy a mixer with effects since I have everything else.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I have a Behringer GDI21 pedal for the Electric and it sounds good with acoustic's also I mainly play clean so this pedal can do that, pushed in the California setting it can get an edge to it.
I have a GDI21 pedal too and almost started an AGF thread to sing its praises with my RainSong and HFN but decided no one would believe me...

It is a great overdrive pedal for FRFR speaker and an electric guitar.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-29-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I'd probably go with your acoustic amp of choice. I've had good luck with Scherler and AER. Add a Strymon Iridium pedal for the electric guitar. I don't own an Iridum but I own two other Strymon pedals and they are superb.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I'd probably go with your acoustic amp of choice. I've had good luck with Scherler and AER. Add a Strymon Iridium pedal for the electric guitar. I don't own an Iridum but I own two other Strymon pedals and they are superb.
I will be going to go to the loudbox mini if the FX150/doesnt cut it for practice, anything more then practice ill line out to the Headrush 108 frfr speaker anyway.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:12 PM

I use a Fishman Loudbox Artist like that. 2 channels, phantom power, reverb and chorus. I've only played acoustic guitar on the gig but I've used it at home with a Tele and an Eastman T186. I also run keyboards through it on the gig. It works fine in a small to moderate size room. If I need more I send an out to a QSC powered speaker. Easy and light weight.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:11 PM

The Mesa Rosette 300 does a great job of all three. You have a mic input with phantom power, and a second identical channel with 1/4 inch input for the acoustic or an electric guitar. It can do a pretty good clean electric sound, but I have a Strymon Iridium and it actually makes for a great electric "FRFR-like" rig in a pinch. The Mesa is a killer amp for anything with strings and a pickup.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:23 PM

Have you gigged with the Acoustic Singer amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
I love my Boss Acoustic Singer for all three of those tasks. Small enough to carry and cheap enough to buy ($400), it distinguishes itself from rivals by having a tweeter (and a tweeter cut switch). Boss tosses in several of its pedal tricks for free: vocal harmony, looping, and three acoustic resonance settings. Set clean, it plays clean. Put some rock pedals in front of it, and it will change personality a rocker. There's a huge range of tunes possible here...
Old 08-27-2020, 12:05 AM

I have a VE-8 and I love it.

Harmonies are good. Vocal processing is good. Acoustic sound is really good.

I have used it extensively with my classical a/e through the PA at a contemplative service at my church, and it sounds really, really good.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I use a Fishman Loudbox Artist like that. 2 channels, phantom power, reverb and chorus. I've only played acoustic guitar on the gig but I've used it at home with a Tele and an Eastman T186. I also run keyboards through it on the gig. It works fine in a small to moderate size room. If I need more I send an out to a QSC powered speaker. Easy and light weight.
I use the Loudbox Artist.
I run my microphone into one channel on the amp. I use a Fire-Eye Red Eye Twin Preamp so I can plug my Tele and an acoustic in at the same time. When our duet gigs, that is an awesome set up.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification