The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not a traditionalist or a purish, and I don't know that any of my guitars "need" reverb -- but I just like it that way. I've been a guitar player for over two thirds of my life and I don't think I could change my preferences at this point -- nor would I have any reason to do so.
As noted in an earlier post, I totally agree with you on really liking reverb on acoustic recording (in this case, some folks genuinely were curious to know what that fancy and great looking Olson sounded like straight up). Typically, I'll use anywhere from 18-26% of GarageBand's built-in reverb on almost all of my guitar and uke recordings. This Apple freebie is a surprisingly good effect and, to my ear, better than some of the other custom reverbs. Sometimes I also will mix in a tiny percentage of delay (7-9%) to complicate the sound a bit--you don't really hear it but as with reverb it can thicken things up somewhat.

And you will love the Duet 2. It is a stunningly great sounding preamp and the converters can't be beat. By the way, it also is an amazing headphone preamp as well. The design is gorgeous and completely intuitive. You don't even need an instruction book (the only weak link is the Apogee software, which can be prone to crashing and then needs to be reloaded onto your computer). I use it with a pair of Shure KSM 137 small diaphragm condenser mics that are pretty neutral and help in my unprofessional "studio" space because of their low self-noise. It is fun playing around with different recording approaches--spaced pair, ORTF, X-Y, offset spaced pair, and the like. For me, moving up to the Duet from some of the other popular audio interfaces (PreSonus, M-Audio, M-Box, Blue Icicle) was a real revelation...much like hearing a great instrument for the first time. Mau, you could have fun with the new Quad (about $1,300). Then you could hang several other mics up high or deeper back in the room to add to the mix. There are some cool photos of Tommy E. in the studio where he has four or more mics all around the guitar, some near some far, which then offers variety when they go to produce/master the tune.

Look forward to hearing more tunes on the Olson.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 12-27-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: quad info
Old 12-28-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Great, as someone who strives to emulate your stellar recordings, now I have the magic figure for the reverb!
I set the reverb just at the point where it starts to sound really wet. It's NOT the coolest sound by today's standards but I seem to be stuck somewhere in the 90s...

Quote:
Interesting; I was using a Duet, M-Audio DMP3 and pair of Neumann KM184s until I heard your MiC/iPad setup. Sure the sound quality was better, but not by that much and the whole hassle of setting the thing up meant I had to plan each recording session in advance, so very difficult to be spontaneous (I had to drag the whole lot into a different room; the gear normally lived in my study, which was too small to record in). I sold everything except the Duet (great soundcard for my iMac) and got the MiC/iPad setup. So easy to setup and record; done in a couple of minutes. And far, far cheaper. The only thing I miss is stereo, so I might get another MiC for that.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess I'm at the point where I'd like to do "better" recordings and invest some time and money into it.

My main reason for doing so is to get the better editing functions on a real MacBook -- and I also miss the stereo.

How will you connect two Apogée MiCs to the iPad? There's probably a way to hack it but as far as I know you can only connect one at a time.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Mau, you could have fun with the new Quad (about $1,300). Then you could hang several other mics up high or deeper back in the room to add to the mix. There are some cool photos of Tommy E. in the studio where he has four or more mics all around the guitar, some near some far, which then offers variety when they go to produce/master the tune.

Look forward to hearing more tunes on the Olson.
And I was just thinking that the Quad would be overkill for a solo guitarist. Thanks for putting more extravagant ideas in my mind! LOL

Actually the Quad looks really cool. I'd have something "permanent" set up if I choose to go that route.

I will post videos very soon!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
How will you connect two Apogée MiCs to the iPad? There's probably a way to hack it but as far as I know you can only connect one at a time.
Agreed - I'm not aware it can be done with the iPad. I have a MacBook Air that I use when travelling and that has two USB ports so I'd be forced to use that.

Looking forward to those vids and to "upgraded" sound quality if you go that route.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-28-2012, 07:09 AM

Default Olson

Stunning guitar with an incredibly beautiful sound. Congrats!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 AM

What a beautiful instrument, and a lovely recording. Jim's guitars for whatever reason seem to handle bling better than most. It just 'fits' for his guitars more so than others I've seen. Thank you for always sharing these wonderful photos of your builds as well of course, your wonderful playing. Have a happy and healthy new year!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Actually the Quad looks really cool. I'd have something "permanent" set up if I choose to go that route.
The great thing about the Duet2 or even the Quad is that in addition to the build and sound quality being fantastic these simple, portable devices could not be easier to use. In the case of the Duet2 just plug two mics into the XLR cable that connects to the Duet and then plug the Duet into the USB port on the MacBook. GarageBand fires up and off you go. I can set up for a recording in just a minute or two.

And while the MiC is a nice digital device, you really can't beat having such instantaneous in-home access to those pristine, professional Apogee dual preamps with 75db of gain. Moreover, the Duet2 and especially the Quad opens you up to a world of studio-quality (or near studio-quality) recording options using much, much better mics. Given Mau's love of ethereal, roomy, big acoustic recordings buying a Quad and some great mics could be just the ticket.

Quote:
The only thing I miss is stereo, so I might get another MiC for that.
Steve, you could go with a Rode NT4 or a similar X-Y stereo mic running into your Duet (which has a far better preamp than the M-Audio). There are some wonderful stereo mics out there.

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2

Last edited by ukejon; 12-28-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
running into your Duet (which has a far better preamp than the M-Audio).
That was not my experience at all. I've had lots of interfaces, most with built in pres. It's easy, for me at least, to get caught up in the advertising hype proclaiming that the pres on a particular unit are fabulous, detailed, exquisite, or whatever...so I'd go and buy the unit only to find that none of those I've tried have come anywhere near those on the M-Audio DPM3 standalone unit when it came to pure fidelity. Here's an interesting thread where readers found it difficult to distinguish between the cheap-as-chips (for a pre) DPM3 and a unit x20 the price.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...udio-dmp3.html

I would agree that the integrated pres on the Duet are great when compared to comparable integrated interfaces but - for me - using a standalone pre, even one as "lowly" as the DPM3, was a large improvement when using my Neumann KM184s. I haven't tried more expensive dedicated pres (Great River, etc) because I know they cost a fortune and I'd end up wanting one if I heard it. Hearing the great results Mau got with his iPad, I realised it was probably "healthier" for me to dump the lot and go the simple route rather than worrying about all this stuff. Sure, I've lost fidelity but gained in ease of setup, spontaneity etc. I would agree that the converters in the Apogee are top-class and it is a dream to setup. I use it daily to listen to music.

Nothing beats having the gear and being able to dem it at home, using your mics etc, so YMMV. That's was makes all this stuff so fascinating.

cheers,
Steve
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
That was not my experience at all. I've had lots of interfaces, most with built in pres. It's easy, for me at least, to get caught up in the advertising hype proclaiming that the pres on a particular unit are fabulous, detailed, exquisite, or whatever...so I'd go and buy the unit only to find that none of those I've tried have come anywhere near those on the M-Audio DPM3 standalone unit when it came to pure fidelity.
+1 I haven't owned a lot of interfaces, but my first one was a cheap Yamaha 2 channel Firewire 400 interface. I currently own an Apogee Duet (the original all silver one). The Yamaha had in my opinion nicer, warmer sounding pres than the Duet. Unfortunately the electronics on that unit failed and Yamaha no longer makes it Not saying the Apogee sounds bad of course, but that "getting what you pay for" is not necessarily a good axiom when it comes to subjective things like sound.

I'd also like to say that the sound Joe is getting from his Apogee Mic and iPad are at a fidelity and presence level that rivals or supercedes most studio recordings I've ever heard. It's amazing how far this technology has come! Of course, having amazing guitars doesn't hurt with their natural presence and color.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Nothing beats having the gear and being able to dem it at home, using your mics etc, so YMMV. That's was makes all this stuff so fascinating.
Ain't that the truth! I love listening to music through the Duet too. It is a wonderful headphone preamp.

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecharter View Post
yes of course.

I only borrowed jim's photography for the build and studio pics -- but otherwise everything is from me.
how amazing!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Being an Olson owner

I fully appreciate the look on your custom headstock ... Being Asian I just love blings on my guitars
You own an Olson as well? Is it the SJ you have featured on your YouTube page?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaylor View Post
Stunning guitar with an incredibly beautiful sound. Congrats!
Thanks, Bruce! I am very happy with the guitar to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markart View Post
What a beautiful instrument, and a lovely recording. Jim's guitars for whatever reason seem to handle bling better than most. It just 'fits' for his guitars more so than others I've seen. Thank you for always sharing these wonderful photos of your builds as well of course, your wonderful playing. Have a happy and healthy new year!
Thanks for following this thread! Happy New Year to you as well!

I showed the guitar to a bunch of friends and family members. None of them even know who Jim Olson is (they probably don't even know who James Taylor is either) but they all fell in love with the looks of the guitar. I think that says a lot about the natural, un-biased appeal of the SJ.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I showed the guitar to a bunch of friends and family members. None of them even know who Jim Olson is (they probably don't even know who James Taylor is either) but they all fell in love with the looks of the guitar. I think that says a lot about the natural, un-biased appeal of the SJ.
Hey Joe,

a friend of mine is travelling from Toronto to Goa soon, I will PM you his address, would you please ship the guitar to him?

I would like to show it around to folks here, almost all of them have'nt heard of JT/Jim Olson, I can send you their expert and unbiased opinion too

Anyway have a great, prosperous and a happy New year!! All the best to you and your family.

Best,

Keyshore
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor 714 View Post
You own an Olson as well? Is it the SJ you have featured on your YouTube page?
Yes I ended selling a few guitars just to consolidate to buy that Olson on my You Tube page from a collector ..

Could not miss the chance of a lifetime since it was my dream to have one since 2004 and it was one of my goals for 2012..
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop