The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:14 PM

Default **SOLD** 2017 Martin Custom Shop OM VTS Adirondack/Guatemalan RW **SOLD**

Up for sale is a 2017 Martin Custom Shop OM. I am the original owner.

The guitar has a mixture of Style 28 & 42 appointments. Ivoroid bindings, Herringbone Purfling and the back-strip are Style 28 features. While beautiful Abalone Rosette and Snowflake Inlays are Style 42 features. Premium VTS treated Adirondack Spruce over Guatemalan Rosewood has been the tone-wood combination of choice for many high-end Martin one-offs and limited edition guitars. The wood used on this guitar is beautifully figured, especially the Guatemalan Rosewood, which is a deep-red color straight-grain premium set. The guitar has opened up well, with a deep bass and sweet, lingering high end. The overtones are perfect, with a great sustain.

Excellent to Mint condition. No scratches, cracks, dents or anything. To match with the Ivoroid Bindings on the guitar, I have upgraded the original tuners from Grover to Waverly with Ivoroid Buttons, which were a simple drop-in, zero modifications. Also, I upgraded the saddle to WAHI from Bob Colosi and Bridge pins to Walrus Jawbone from David Warther, which again are simple drop-ins. Of course, originals to all of these will be provided with the guitar, and is included in the asking price. You can drop the originals right back in under 10 mins, but I doubt you would want to, as I have spent extreme care and attention to set this guitar up for the best tone and playability possible.

Construction: Simple Dovetail Neck Joint
Body Size: 000-14 Fret (OM)
Top: Premium VTS Adirondack Spruce
Top Braces: Adirondack/Scalloped 1/4"/Golden Era OM #6A
Back Material: Guatemalan Rosewood
Side Material: Guatemalan Rosewood
Neck Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
Rosette: Style 45
Neck Shape: Low Profile
Nut Material: Bone
Headstock: Solid/6 String Diamond Volute/Square Taper
Headplate: Guatemalan Rosewood
Fingerboard Material: Ebony
Scale Length: 25.4"
# of Frets Clear: 14
# of Frets Total: 20
Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-3/4"
Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/4"
Bridge String Spacing: 2-1/4"
Fingerboard Inlays: Style 42 Snowflakes (Beautiful Abalone)
Finish Back and Sides: Gloss/Natural
Finish Top: Gloss/Natural
Finish Neck: Gloss/Natural
Bridge Material: Ebony
Bridge Style: Belly
Saddle: 16" Radius/Compensated/Bone
Tuning Machines: Waverly Butterbean Tuners w/ Ivoroid Buttons/Grover Sta-Tite 18:1
Bridge and End Pins: Fossil Walrus Jawbone / Plastic with Black Dots / Ebony
Pickguard: OM Teardrop / Black Handmade

I live in Southern California, so it is easy for me to maintain my guitars in 45-55% humidity range and 65-75 F temperature range all the time, which I have done obsessively. It has always been treated with utmost care, and kept in a smoke-free and dust-free environment and always stored in its original TKL 630 series case.

Price: SOLD. Shipped, fully insured. Lower 48 states.

If you're interested, I can provide the full detailed build sheet and some sound-clips. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by cydesai; 02-13-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 PM

Stunning custom!
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 01-16-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Stunning custom!
Thank you! It is indeed a beauty!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Very classy! And welcome to the forum!
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

That's a very sweet axe. If I wren't trying to thin out right now, I'd be on this one. Welcome to AGF.
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...
Old 01-17-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Very classy! And welcome to the forum!
Thank you, it's good to be on the forum!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdale View Post
That's a very sweet axe. If I wren't trying to thin out right now, I'd be on this one. Welcome to AGF.
That sucks! You would not be disappointed by this, if you were interested! Thanks for your welcome!
Old 01-18-2019, 03:01 PM

Bump 10 characters
Old 01-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I am a recent convert to Guatemalan rosewood. Lovely guitar! GLWS!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Beautiful guitar. Great specs. I was drawn to read your ad as I am the proud owner of a CS HD28V in Guat. I know and understand what great tonewood this is. Mine was built in late 2016 and Martin was getting superb Guatemalan (D. Tucurensis) during this time period. An added plus—it has a delicious aroma! I am sure the VTS Adi top is a great pairing for the Guat. I am also in the market for a smaller guitar but have a K24ce I have to move first before I buy again.

Good luck. I’m sure it is a fine instrument.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Beautiful guitar. Great specs. I was drawn to read your ad as I am the proud owner of a CS HD28V in Guat. I know and understand what great tonewood this is. Mine was built in late 2016 and Martin was getting superb Guatemalan (D. Tucurensis) during this time period. An added plus—it has a delicious aroma! I am sure the VTS Adi top is a great pairing for the Guat. I am also in the market for a smaller guitar but have a K24ce I have to move first before I buy again.

Good luck. I’m sure it is a fine instrument.
Hi IndyHD28,

I know it’s a stunning rosewood species! Relatively new and when Martin started offering it back in 2014, they had some of the most beautiful Rosewoods ever offered from the custom shop. From what I heard from James at Willcutt Guitars, that this set is one of last “mature” sets of Guatemalan RW Martin had in their stash by early 2017, and from then on they offered some other species of Rosewood, which was a totally different color but sold as “Guatemalan Rosewood”. Both great in tone, yet these and earlier sets are one with striking dark chocolate brown color and landscape grain. Lovely tone wood, and I wish I could keep it, but situation arose that I have to sell it and invest in something else. Thanks for your message!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:45 PM

It’s a beauty! How would you characterize the Guatemalan tone-wise as opposed to Indian, Madagascar, etc? Some rosewoods pair better with Adirondack than others.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuv View Post
It’s a beauty! How would you characterize the Guatemalan tone-wise as opposed to Indian, Madagascar, etc? Some rosewoods pair better with Adirondack than others.
In terms of pairing with Adirondack, I would say 1. Madagascar 2. Guatemalan and 3. Indian. To my ears, now that this guitar is opening up, it is becoming more warm and balanced than when it was new. The overtones are spot on, yet not too overpowering. However, I do think that Madrose would give more bass than Guatemalan. I feel personally that Adi/Guat pairing would be perfect for recording as it exhibits all the characteristics of a fine instrument, while not overpowering in one aspect (such as bass) over the other (such as brightness of the bottom end).
Old 01-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Bump for attention. This guitar should not be missed. Contact me with your best offer at the least.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydesai View Post
In terms of pairing with Adirondack, I would say 1. Madagascar 2. Guatemalan and 3. Indian. To my ears, now that this guitar is opening up, it is becoming more warm and balanced than when it was new. The overtones are spot on, yet not too overpowering. However, I do think that Madrose would give more bass than Guatemalan. I feel personally that Adi/Guat pairing would be perfect for recording as it exhibits all the characteristics of a fine instrument, while not overpowering in one aspect (such as bass) over the other (such as brightness of the bottom end).
Much appreciated - it's gorgeous for sure!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars