The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-15-2019, 11:38 AM

Default acoustic player, not feeling comfortable holding an electric

I am an acoustic player, mostly dread size. Not a big person but I’ve become accustomed to the large body and I feel needing to adjust to a smaller thinner body of an electric.

I have a telecaster that I like to mess around with once in awhile but when I play it I find my strumming arm gets tired (the shoulder) because there is no place on the body for me to rest my arm, like I would with a thick dread body.

I play mostly sitting down which places the guitar on my stomach area (standing strapped that would also be the approx height) and for my picking/strumming hand to be level with the strings, I would have to pivot the joint of my should upwards. (I hope you can picture what I am describing)

With an acoustic guitar (large bout and thicker body) I have a place to rest my arm in that position but with an electric, there isn’t that mass for me to rest on.

Is this a thing that others have struggled with but over time you just get used to it?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:55 PM

Learn to play standing and your problem will disappear, plain and simple. I put it off for years and even gigged seated, as that was what i was used to. With electric, I started standings straight out of the gate and now stand for every gig.

Yeah, it takes a bit of time to adjust, but it's well worth it IMHO.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Learn to play standing and your problem will disappear, plain and simple. I put it off for years and even gigged seated, as that was what i was used to. With electric, I started standings straight out of the gate and now stand for every gig.

Yeah, it takes a bit of time to adjust, but it's well worth it IMHO.

I know how to play standing up. Regardless of sitting or standing, I like to have the guitar height the same (same height as when I am seated). So I still have to pivot my shoulder joint upward to get my hand to be at the same level as the strings.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:59 PM

Personally I find the electric easier to play as I don’t have to reach over the acoustic body. So my arm is in better position with electric than acoustic. I’m trying to envision why your arm would be higher on electric than acoustic? Seems counter intuitive, but everyone’s different so???

Now having said that... I find the electric easier to play standing vs sitting. Something about the ergonomics of it just work better for me and I dont tire nearly as easily, and can hit certain parts with my fretting hand more comfortably.

Good luck,
JeffD
Old 01-15-2019, 01:27 PM

Paging Steve DeRosa, someone needs a Gretsch or a Godin.

Seriously, if that's what you want to feel, those are the affordable electric guitars that do that.

Myself, I've tended to play acoustic and electric guitars with the guitar's waist on my left thigh when seated so I'm never expecting the guitar's lower bout to be under my right arm.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-15-2019, 01:37 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Check out an ES-335.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:54 PM

I play sitting down with a strap. (I almost said strap on, phew)

I've always adjusted my straps to play my electrics like BB (and alot of jazzers) does, hiked up high to get a nice bend at the elbow and wrist down.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
I know how to play standing up. Regardless of sitting or standing, I like to have the guitar height the same (same height as when I am seated). So I still have to pivot my shoulder joint upward to get my hand to be at the same level as the strings.
Okay. I play with my acoustic much higher than my electrics. Works for me. YMMV

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Get a Gretsch
Old 01-15-2019, 03:45 PM

Thanks all for the responses. To those that said get one of those bigger body electrics, please I don’t need that encouragement

Sounds like I should experiment and hopefully a comfortable position will develop the the tele.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:02 PM

you could learn to not place your arm on the body. i do that a lot with my acoustics, particularly the satin ones where you get the scraping sound. just be free with your elbow, wrist and hand. let loose.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 PM

I always use a soft webbed cotton strap with my telecaster either sitting or standing. If you don't trust straps use a rubber washer over the knob. I've gotten used to not having to hold the guitar.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 PM

Default different mindset

I started playing electric a couple of years back after being an acoustic musician for close to 50 years. I started on a tele partscaster I built, what versatile machine, so many tones and grit on tap! +1 on playing standing up, and sling the guitar lower so your arm is angled down and across the body. Don't expect to strum it like an acoustic, it's a completely different animal.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 PM

That's why I got a Gretsch. How about an electric acoustic?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 PM

JUST SAY NO!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars