The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2017, 03:03 PM

I've had my TCH Perform-VG for a week now. Used it for a gig and have done extensive testing at my rehearsal space.

I have A/B'd it against my Boss VE-8.
As well as connected the output into the VE-8. Allowing me to use the Vocals and Harmony and Guitar effects from the -VG and the Guitar Effects and looper of the VE-8... With very cool results.

In addition, the TCH Switch 6 adds a footswitch .. So get best of both worlds. Adjust by hand on the fly (VG attached to Mic stand).. As well as switch through programmed Harmonies, and/or Guitar effects. Including a hidden "Guitar Boost" feature. Only usable with the Switch 3 or 6.

All in all, I dig the -VG... It is simple, plus it works and sounds really great.

The only issue I have is it's low output... I don't get enough volume when I plug VG directly into my Maui 5 PA ( Line Input).
Although, I've got fine results plugging the VG into a Yamaha Mixer, DBX Go Rack and the VE-8.. Then into the Maui 5.. All with excellent results.

I'd be happy to answer any questions here....
Old 09-30-2017, 01:45 PM

Anyone else interested in the Perform-VG?
Looks like I'm the only one here playing with one..

Update:
So I've been testing and going back and forth between the Boss VE-8 and the TCH Perform-VG.

All in all, I dig the sound and simplicity of this -VG... So I will be using it tonight at a solo gig...Along with the TCH footswitch 6.

I remedied the low gain/volume issue by directly connecting the XLR out of the -VG to the Maui 5 PA's Mic Input. Very satisfied with volume and sound.

To be honest... The Play Acoustic prob is a better value.
But I like the VG for some other advantages the Play doesn't offer.

The - VG allows stacking of Harmonies using the Switch 6. So I can assign a different harmony to each of the switches and switch / add /take away - on the fly..

Also, I can access the -VG's Guitar effects from the switches.

Plus there is a Boost on the VG.. Which is only accessible from foot switch.

Lastly, I like the Guitar Thru.. (I had this on the Harmony Gxt). To Bypass the VG's guitar effects ..
So I can use outboard effects. Or I can plug my Looper into this and connect output to a different channel on my Maui.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:40 PM

Thanks Jake. I have the Play Acoustic and most often use the Global effects on the guitar and like to use the switch 3/6 to turn on/off reverb, chorus and delay for guitar. My effects are subtle so it's hard to tell if they are off or on. I hate the Play Acoustic does not have a light on the panel showing what is off and on.

If I read your post correct, the effect is illuminated when engaged on this VG? That would be great to have. On the Play Acoustic the guitar effects are very good and I prefer them to most individual units I have tried.

How is the guitar EQ and what is the guitar input impedance? The EQ on the Play Acoustic is way to complicated for me to use on the fly. I usually set everything flat and EQ at the mixer or FOH. I would prefer to do this at the unit. Would be nice to have at a hands reach. Can you EQ vocals also on the VG or does it just have the different tone controls like the Play Acoustic?

Sorry for so many questions.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post

If I read your post correct, the effect is illuminated when engaged on this VG? That would be great to have. On the Play Acoustic the guitar effects are very good and I prefer them to most individual units I have tried.
Yes... Effect button is illuminated when button is engaged. Each "Effect" has several choices.
Once selected you can dial the effect up or down (more or less effect).

Effects:

Reverb
• Room
• Club
• Hall

Echo
• Slap
• 1/8 note
• ¼ note

Chorus
• Chorus
• Flanger
• Detune

Harmony has 13 Different choices -
• High & Higher
• Higher
• Octave Up
• Bass & High
• Bass
• Octave Up & Down
• Octave Down
• Lower & Higher
• Lower & Low
• Lower
• Low
• High & Low

Quote:
How is the guitar EQ and what is the guitar input impedance? The EQ on the Play Acoustic is way to complicated for me to use on the fly. I usually set everything flat and EQ at the mixer or FOH. I would prefer to do this at the unit. Would be nice to have at a hands reach. Can you EQ vocals also on the VG or does it just have the different tone controls like the Play Acoustic?
The -VG doesn't have an EQ -
It does have BodyREZ for Guitar and TONE for Vocals. Tone automatically adds EQ (equalization), Compression, De-Ess and Gate to your
overall vocal sound. There are 8 Tone styles to choose from.

In addition - You can dial in volume separately for guitar and vocals from the unit .. which is nice.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:15 PM

Thanks Jake. Looks like i will stick with the Play Acoustic for now.

I recently purchased a Behringer XR-12 digital mixer. I am trying to duplicate the effects from the Play Acoustic so I have a little more control (mainly EQ) and lesson the signal path to my powered speakers. It’s been a struggle so far, but making progress. The journey toward this is a blast. TC does a great job effects and they are hard to duplicate.

I love new technology and this VG is definitely on list list to watch. Now that they (Behringer and TC Helicon) are all part of The Music Group, maybe TC’s we’ll done effects will find their way into the Behringer digital mixers.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:16 AM

Cool Marty - The -VG is just perfect for small gigs.. Super fast and easy to set up....Great sound! I am able to connect directly to my PA (no mixer).

I really like being able to make adjustments from the mic stand. Plus use the Switch 6... Adds another dimension of control.

With that said, The -VG and Switch 6 adds up to same price as the Play Acoustic or the Boss VE-8. These are much more feature rich and a lot more "bang for buck".

Fun times!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:19 AM

Default TC Helicon Perform-VG

The switch 6 will work with the Play Acoustic as well. So I believe you can replicate the same features, except for the harmony stacking. Never tired that.

BTW Marty, if you are OK with the iPad, I think the XR12 is an excellent mixer. I got very close with the body rez approximation with the para EQ and effects.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:38 AM

Hey Dave - I appreciate your input .. I mainly got the -VG because it was new on the market and I am fairly new to the "Solo acoustic " performance world. I really like the simplicity of the thing, it's not very "deep" in layers of interface or features.. Easy to dial in, as I am still learning .. running my own sound.

I think it has it's place in the market... Although, the Play Acoustic or the VE8 are better, more robust units. All in all, they are prob the better choice in the long run... The Jury is still out... I have the 45 days to return ..

Last edited by JakeStone; 10-01-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:

I recently purchased a Behringer XR-12 digital mixer. I am trying to duplicate the effects from the Play Acoustic so I have a little more control (mainly EQ) and lesson the signal path to my powered speakers. It’s been a struggle so far, but making progress. The journey toward this is a blast. TC does a great job effects and they are hard to duplicate.

When I had the XR18 I made a killer vocal patch that rivaled my Voicelive3. A parametric Eq with a High pass engaged into a compressor (don't remember the settings) but it sounded really good.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The switch 6 will work with the Play Acoustic as well. So I believe you can replicate the same features, except for the harmony stacking. Never tired that.

BTW Marty, if you are OK with the iPad, I think the XR12 is an excellent mixer. I got very close with the body rez approximation with the para EQ and effects.
Hi Dave,
Thanks Dave. I do like the Ipad. Mainly I use the IPad with OnSong app, so it is already part of my gear. I actually think the vocals are now more clear with the XR-12. I just can’t get the reverb I like ...yet.

I like the switch six with the Play Acoustic. I just wish there was a way to see what effects are engaged and what are not. That is the main reason I have my eye on the VG.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:26 AM

If TC Helicon could develop a switch 6 with colored LEDs it would be awesome.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
If TC Helicon could develop a switch 6 with colored LEDs it would be awesome.
Amen to that! Does anyone else have this in a switch?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:38 AM

The cool thing about this unit is it's simplicity (yet it has quite a bit of functionality).. I think TC packaged this for Me!

It's not complicated or heavy in "sub menus" .. Everything is accessible with either a button tap or a long press. Then the big knob becomes the adjustment knob for the effect. Also as pointed out .. The effect lights up, so with a quick glance you can see exactly what's on/off.

After everything is set .. You have the big knob ready to adjust volume and mix between guitar and vocal. This is handy for me... Since I am not using any other mixer.. The -VG is straight into the powered speaker or in my case Line Array PA. Also, the Mix button can be "Long pressed" to mute the output.

Last edited by JakeStone; 10-02-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:15 PM

Well... This should be called "Jake's Multi Effect Adventures" !

MartinGitDave was right.. The TC Play Acoustic is the winner (no comparison).

Ok... So I have the Boss VE8, the TC Perform VG .. AND I just scored a used TCH PA locally for a great price.

Compared them all....... I ended up packing up and returning the Perform VG for refund (just under the 45 day limit).

The VG did sound good .. AND was easy to set up and use.

But in the end the effects ended up not being very robust,,,, there just was not very much control over them. Plus I really miss having some (at least 3) custom presets.

The Play Acoustic just has so much more for around the same price (if bought used)... Not to mention looper !
Plus the vocal effects (tone, sound quality and harmonies) are very smooth and Very tweakable / I use them subtly. Plus the Double is very nice. (not available on the VG).

I did keep the Switch 6... Turns the PA into a very usable and easy to use gigging machine.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:

I love new technology and this VG is definitely on list list to watch. Now that they (Behringer and TC Helicon) are all part of The Music Group, maybe TC’s we’ll done effects will find their way into the Behringer digital mixers.
I've used some of those cheapo but powerful Behringer Euro Mixers (analog, not digital) and I was glad they had dozens of effects which may not have been pristine, but were nice options to have. They even had two banks of them for endless fun. Didn't suck at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification