The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 07:16 AM

Default What are the advantages/disadvantages of a "flatter" fretboard

Some folks really like a relatively flat fretboard, though most acoustics it seems have more curve. Larrivees, for instance, begin with a radius of 17" and are more flat than Martins (16"), Taylors (15"), and Gibsons (12").

I can fret barre chords more easily on a fretboard with more curve to it. Of course, this geezer has been playing for a little over a year and a half, so that may have something to do with it.

I'm curious as to others' perceptions of flatter fretboards, such as Larrivee. What are their advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-21-2009, 07:36 AM

The more radius the better for me. I'd like to know what the radius is on a Ryan and Baranik. They seem to have more pronounced radius... they play like butter. Great for us old guys.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 AM

On acoustics it makes little difference to me; more important is the overall feel of the neck because I play with a high-ish action.
With electrics it's a different matter; I like light guage strings (9's) and a minimum 9.5" radius with tall frets on a long (Fender) scale and a 12" radius on short (Gibson) scale guitars.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Hi Bill...
Boy, for me the flat boards are much more difficult to navigate (classical gutiar necks in particular). The fingerings become more tedious...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-21-2009, 09:35 AM

I played 9.5" radius Strats for years. I find curved fretboards to be more natural for me.
PRS SE Custom 24
Old 03-21-2009, 09:36 AM

Hey 2bigfeet. The Ryan has a 15 radius as does an Olson and Taylors I believe.
Charis uses a 16 for the radius. I've tried to analyze the differences but have come to the conclusion that the many variables such as the neck shape, fret size etc all contribute to the feel and playability and if it feels right for me than that's whats important.

Psalm 150:4 Praise Him with tambourine and dancing, praise Him with the strings and flute!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Bill...
Boy, for me the flat boards are much more difficult to navigate (classical gutiar necks in particular). The fingerings become more tedious...
Larry, what radius (or radii) did you choose for your custom builds? Compound?

Bill
Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Larry, what radius (or radii) did you choose for your custom builds? Compound?
Hi Bill...
Don't know - my Olson was whatever he builds, and the Bashkin was a duplicate of that neck. Not sure on the Kronbauer (it was a gift).

I am sure any of these builders will tell you what they do if you either e-mail or call them...all three are approachable and personable.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion