The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

How do these devices - Line 6 HX Stomp, and Line 6 Helix Floor - compare to the Kemper Profiler Rack Rackmount Guitar Amplifier? Or is this like trying to compare apples to bananas? I have a friend who has the Kemper Profiler, and he says that you can download any effect ever created onto the Kemper. He says that if you have the Kemper, you don't need anything else.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:50 PM

The underlying technology, and therefore how you use it, is different. The Kemper profiles a device at specific settings, and while it can hypothesize changes as you twist knobs, the results are unpredictable. Profiling is about exact sound recreation, and doesn't have the same granular control that component modeling does.

It is praised primarily for authentic tones.

The Helix family is meant to be a lot more than a sound engine. Even down to the HX Stomp, it is a command center. It also has the benefit of sounding excellent.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Double post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Thank you! Can I assign the same IR to different buttons?
Per my response to you earlier, it technically can do a "global" IR. If you keep both rigs in one patch with the IR at the end and always on...voila.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottledAwesome View Post
Double post...

Per my response to you earlier, it technically can do a "global" IR. If you keep both rigs in one patch with the IR at the end and always on...voila.
Yes global meaning one preset. but globally across
every preset no. Not like it does global eq.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you! Can I assign the same IR to different buttons?
you can assign any block to a foot-switch.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Yes global meaning one preset. but globally across
every preset no. Not like it does global eq.
Yeah, for sure. But having a global IR in a modeler makes about as much sense as having a global fuzz
Old 02-14-2019, 06:27 PM

I have mine and am still trying to tame it!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, for sure. But having a global IR in a modeler makes about as much sense as having a global fuzz
Yes exactly.. Line6 uses the term "Global"
to mean everywhere across the unit.
like a graphic eq on a mixer. you can add
the same ir as a block on all your presets.
but its not really "global" in the same sense that
helix uses the term. This is symantics.

Last edited by varmonter; 02-15-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Makes sense to me. I want the trained IR on both the guitar on both the guitar and bass patches for my acoustic rig.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Makes sense to me. I want the trained IR on both the guitar on both the guitar and bass patches for my acoustic rig.
That use case is vanishingly narrow, just like a global fuzz. It is almost like purposefully using the same cab for both instruments, even if you have the perfect unique option for both at your disposal.

All of this is moot, given that IRs take up a block no matter what, and you can just leave the same IR always on at the end of the chain.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:11 PM

For my acoustic gig, I just need a great guitar sound, and a great bass sound. I know the pedal does so much more, but I just want to switch between the two for looping.

In my current rig it's: Tonedexter > Sunnaudio Stage DI > Boss OC3 Octave > Neunaber Wet Reverb > DI > Board > Speakers.

The OC3 sounds better using the Tonedexter'd signal than without, so I want that IR on both patches. Your needs may be different than mine, and I get that.

I'm sure I'll use the snapshot feature for different verbs, delays, and configurations, but I'm mostly concerned with a killer bass tone and killer guitar tone to start.

I got a 2 button aux switch to add some functionality, but I'm looking at the Morningstar once I get up and running if I feel I need more options.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
For my acoustic gig, I just need a great guitar sound, and a great bass sound. I know the pedal does so much more, but I just want to switch between the two for looping.

In my current rig it's: Tonedexter > Sunnaudio Stage DI > Boss OC3 Octave > Neunaber Wet Reverb > DI > Board > Speakers.

The OC3 sounds better using the Tonedexter'd signal than without, so I want that IR on both patches. Your needs may be different than mine, and I get that.

I'm sure I'll use the snapshot feature for different verbs, delays, and configurations, but I'm mostly concerned with a killer bass tone and killer guitar tone to start.

I got a 2 button aux switch to add some functionality, but I'm looking at the Morningstar once I get up and running if I feel I need more options.
It isn't really about different needs...I responded directly to your initial query with a possible solution that can do everything you want using only one switch instead of three, and possibly one patch instead of two depending on how complex your chain is.

Flipping between two sounds with uniquely set EQs, a shared IR and a reverb specific to one of those sounds is largely what snapshots were created for. Sounds that shared similar elements, required reverb/delay trails and fast switching.

Worst case scenario is you use two unique patches and lose the trails in the process.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
It isn't really about different needs...I responded directly to your initial query with a possible solution that can do everything you want using only one switch instead of three, and possibly one patch instead of two depending on how complex your chain is.

Flipping between two sounds with uniquely set EQs, a shared IR and a reverb specific to one of those sounds is largely what snapshots were created for. Sounds that shared similar elements, required reverb/delay trails and fast switching.

Worst case scenario is you use two unique patches and lose the trails in the process.
Thank you!

This is EXACTLY what I have to learn! My buddy has one and is going to help me program it.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-15-2019, 06:40 PM

I should clarify...I wasn't trying to be combative with regard to how you plan to use an IR.

The number of guitarists who know what they are is small. Smaller still, the number who know how to use them, who DO use them, and finally those who have specific ideas like using one for what are essentially two different instruments.

From a design perspective, I wouldn't bother making them global in the same way that a "global EQ" is.

That's all I was getting at. Meant to be a sidebar.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I should clarify...I wasn't trying to be combative with regard to how you plan to use an IR.

The number of guitarists who know what they are is small. Smaller still, the number who know how to use them, who DO use them, and finally those who have specific ideas like using one for what are essentially two different instruments.

From a design perspective, I wouldn't bother making them global in the same way that a "global EQ" is.

That's all I was getting at. Meant to be a sidebar.
Cool, I’d love to pick your brain on some ways to set it up. I want a great guitar sound with its own EQ and verb with different snapshots using different ambient effects. I’d also like a nice bass tone that I would use most of the time, and a cool moog type synth bass if possible for some stuff.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification