The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Default Looking for dual-source comparison

Hi all,
Since 2006 I've been using a B-band A2.2 XOM system (UST+AST+crossover/blend) in my Taylor. I'm getting a new guitar soon with no pickup installed, so will be wanting to add a similar system to it.

I'm considering the Anthem SL, because I prefer the simple controls. I'm also considering buying a NOS B-band, which is substantially cheaper ($120 vs. $200). I've liked the b-band's sound, am very familiar with operating it, and like its lack of impact on the acoustic sound. I had an Element VTC and believe it muffled the trebles a bit, but I can live with that acoustically if the Anthem sounds worlds better than the b-band.

Is there anyone out there with experience with both of these systems, either owners or hearers? I know b-band is out of business so warranty is a risk, but I haven't had any issues with mine in 13 years, so...
Old 02-14-2019, 02:37 PM

I have had both the B-Band XOM and the Anthem SL, but at different times and in different guitars. I ultimately got rid of the B-Band quite a while back and replaced it with a K&K Trinity. I still have the Anthem in a different guitar.

Ultimately, I think the Anthem does sound much better. However, my recollection of working with the B-Band is that its UST is pretty nice, and I think I might prefer it in a head-to-head over the Baggs Element. However, when you factor in the Baggs TruMic in the Anthem systems, that's where I feel it has a big advantage.

Regarding the Baggs Element pickup muffling the trebles that you mentioned, I would recommend having a look at AeroUSA's excellent video he made on this topic and the accompanying informative thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=537412
Old 02-14-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Hi all,
Since 2006 I've been using a B-band A2.2 XOM system (UST+AST+crossover/blend) in my Taylor. I'm getting a new guitar soon with no pickup installed, so will be wanting to add a similar system to it.

I'm considering the Anthem SL, because I prefer the simple controls. I'm also considering buying a NOS B-band, which is substantially cheaper ($120 vs. $200). I've liked the b-band's sound, am very familiar with operating it, and like its lack of impact on the acoustic sound. I had an Element VTC and believe it muffled the trebles a bit, but I can live with that acoustically if the Anthem sounds worlds better than the b-band.

Is there anyone out there with experience with both of these systems, either owners or hearers? I know b-band is out of business so warranty is a risk, but I haven't had any issues with mine in 13 years, so...

FWIW, muffled trebles are a non-issue with the Anthem SL. The Element UST only contributes signal frequencies ranging from 250 Hz on down.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Thanks - that's sort of what I expected. A few months ago I did a quick phone recording of the Element in/out and I can definitely hear a difference, but I probably wouldn't notice it in reality. Decisions, decisions...
Old 02-15-2019, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Have you checked out Doug Young's website? (He is one of our members, as well as a frequent contributor to Acoustic Guitar Magazine and other publications with his reviews of various pickup systems)... on the website, Doug has well over 100 different pickups and combinations of same, all a-b'd against a good microphone...

A REALLY good source for comparison purposes...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 PM

I am a big fan of the Anthem. As each guitar and desired sound is personal you will need to invest some time to dial it in but the results are well worth it. B-Band made some nice pickups but I think that they are no longer in business.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-16-2019, 05:35 AM

We all hear what we hear but for me... I'll take the B-Band Xom 2.2 over the Anthem any day. I've had two full Anthem systems with one still in a dread, and I have 4 B-Band 2.2 systems and they aren't going nowhere (Martin D17M, Parkwood LE061, Gibson J-100 Xtra, Gibson J45). I've been using this system without break for the last 4 years, with easily over 1000 gigs on it ranging from small 100 seaters to 20 thousand seaters! The Element UST is notorious for balance issues (just ask any Gibson dealer), and the Tru-mic is very susceptible to feedback and has an odd midrange sound I can never dial out. Frankly I've never had any luck with any LR baggs systems and I've had them all except the LB6. In my opinion the XOM 2.2 is the most CONSISTENT good sounding pickup I've ever used!
Old 02-18-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Have you checked out Doug Young's website?
Wow...I had forgotten all about this. I'm pretty sure this is the site I used 13 years ago to pick the B-band!

After listening to a bunch, the PUTW Dynamic Duo really sounds great...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification